UCD, UCSD, UCLA, Cal Poly

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: March 2004 Archive: UCD, UCSD, UCLA, Cal Poly
By Djsam2004 (Djsam2004) on Thursday, March 11, 2004 - 01:32 pm: Edit

Which is the most impressive, most fun, most academic?

By Uschicka (Uschicka) on Thursday, March 11, 2004 - 03:33 pm: Edit

Well, I'm biased because 1) I almost went to Cal Poly and my sister goes there so I love it, and 2) I go to USC and therefore despise UCLA, but I would have to say those two schools.

Cal Poly has this really great laid back, comfortable feeling. It's close to the beach, has a cute little downtown, and a nice sense of community. It has great academics, especially in engineering, and other areas.

UCLA, although of course not as good as USC :), would also be a good college experience. It has great academics and it's in LA, so there's always fun around.

There's negatives to both, of course. Cal Poly doesn't have all that much to do around it, (same with UCD), and UCLA is huge, etc, but there are benefits to both.

By Thedad (Thedad) on Thursday, March 11, 2004 - 07:23 pm: Edit

The best rounded of those is UCLA. Top caliber school, lots of entertainment options, etc. Worst thing about UCLA is that, as with many largish schools, nobody is going to babysit you. You need to take charge of your own schedule, registration, requirements, etc. This is where the contrast to Cal Poly's more laidback approach comes in.

By Bluebins (Bluebins) on Thursday, March 11, 2004 - 08:31 pm: Edit

Thedad, do you mean CalPoly has more personal involvement and handholding? Could you go into more detail about their "laidback approach"? Is it more like a LAC? Thanks.

By Flyguy (Flyguy) on Thursday, March 11, 2004 - 08:32 pm: Edit

It's not as large...not as competitive...yet not as prestigious either

By Thedad (Thedad) on Thursday, March 11, 2004 - 10:51 pm: Edit

Flyguy has it right. Yes, I mean more personal involvement and handholding. I have a sister who went to Cal Poly who has done very very well for herself. One of the unlikeliest candidates to climb the corporate ladder....

Cal Poly is a smaller pond than UCLA.

One last thing about the UC's...the quarter system is very unforgiving if you fall behind or aren't "getting" a class. Proportionately, you spend more time of the year prepping for mid-terms and finals.

By Shebs (Shebs) on Friday, March 12, 2004 - 11:12 am: Edit

WOOO HOOO! We hear from UCLA today...

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page