Guy marks female on apps. Gets accepted to Smith. When he sh

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: March 2004 Archive: Guy marks female on apps. Gets accepted to Smith. When he sh
By Everet (Everet) on Wednesday, March 10, 2004 - 10:24 pm: Edit

Do they let the guy stay or kick him out?

The guy opts out of a interview also so they can't determine for sure that it's a guy.

Or what if he doesn't mark his gender at all and gets accepted. So when he shows up is he able to still attend?

By Chardonnay (Chardonnay) on Wednesday, March 10, 2004 - 10:35 pm: Edit

haha, did you do this?

By Chen (Chen) on Wednesday, March 10, 2004 - 10:39 pm: Edit

Teacher recs

By Everet (Everet) on Wednesday, March 10, 2004 - 10:52 pm: Edit

Hmm yeah but when the student went over the rec with the teacher he made sure that the letter only had reference to him with his name or This student.

And plus the teachers don't know that it's a girls school

By Soozievt (Soozievt) on Wednesday, March 10, 2004 - 11:16 pm: Edit

Does the guy have parents??? Uh, yeah. I think the parents might have an inkling if they read one thing about the school that it is a girls school. What person shells out close to 40K for a college without being aware that it is all girls?

I also cannot imagine every single rec, including the GC report, never using the pronouns of he, she, him, her, etc.

Susan

By Drusba (Drusba) on Wednesday, March 10, 2004 - 11:51 pm: Edit

It is amazing the lengths a guy will go to just to be alone in a dorm room with a girl.

By Soozievt (Soozievt) on Wednesday, March 10, 2004 - 11:55 pm: Edit

LOL
good one, Drusba!

By Everet (Everet) on Thursday, March 11, 2004 - 01:39 am: Edit

The school doesn't have a GC. The parents know nothing about colleges as he is a first generation

By Valpal (Valpal) on Thursday, March 11, 2004 - 01:50 am: Edit

Your're making this whole scenario up, right?

By Everet (Everet) on Thursday, March 11, 2004 - 03:11 am: Edit

valpal can you just answer, what would happen to this kid? Will he be tossed out?

By Foreignboy (Foreignboy) on Thursday, March 11, 2004 - 03:59 am: Edit

Darn, I should have done that. Couldn't you have posted this 3 months earlier??

By Got2go (Got2go) on Thursday, March 11, 2004 - 05:11 am: Edit

As I wrote in an earlier post, he should just tell them he is a pre-op transgendered lesbian.

They wouldn't dare kick him out then.

By Kissy (Kissy) on Thursday, March 11, 2004 - 09:50 am: Edit

LOL!

By Soozievt (Soozievt) on Thursday, March 11, 2004 - 10:24 am: Edit

If the school does not have a guidance counselor, who filled out the school report on this student which is required by all colleges?

And how is it that the teacher recs were made to never use he/she and only "name" or "this student"? You said the kid went over this with the teachers? And what reason would the student give the teachers for asking to use NO pronouns in the letters, I would love to know.

Even if the kid is first generation, the parents still would view SOMETHING from this college before matriculation. There are even financial aid forms or just anything that even the most uneducated parent would see before sending their kid off to a school and either paying big bucks or small contribution or signing off on financial aid materials. I cannot imagine ANY parent totally blind to what school the child goes away to come fall. Simply the drop off at college would be telling. Even if a parent was very uninvolved in the college search/applcation process, I cannot imagine ANY parent never looking at the brochure or a letter or anything regarding a place they would send their kid for four years.

Susan

By Soozievt (Soozievt) on Thursday, March 11, 2004 - 10:30 am: Edit

Everet, to your question as to whether the student would be "tossed out" when he arrives on campus....my feeling is yes. That is cause the applicant lied on the app and marked that he was a female. Honesty and integrity are valued by colleges and any form of trying to lie on an application or pass oneself off as what they are not would not be taken lightly by colleges. I suppose the candidate did not have to mark "female" on the application as that is not asked for on an all girls school application (unless he used the common app). However, being an all girls school implies that all applicants must be female so the applicant still would be dishonest in terms of integrity that colleges would expect.

Susan

By H0neymoon (H0neymoon) on Thursday, March 11, 2004 - 10:32 am: Edit

It's a school for girls... of course he will be kicked out!!

Goodness, can you imagine going to a single sex college, I'd die. It's just not healthy.

By Foreignboy (Foreignboy) on Thursday, March 11, 2004 - 11:51 am: Edit

I attended single-sex schools for 11 years. Sadness...

By Amilee04 (Amilee04) on Thursday, March 11, 2004 - 03:24 pm: Edit

If it is an all girls college, why is there even a space to mark female?

By Jamimom (Jamimom) on Thursday, March 11, 2004 - 04:43 pm: Edit

Actually this actually happened several years ago with a young woman named Shannon something who applied and was accepted to the all male Citadel. When they found out she was not a he, they tried to reneg. This resulted in a high publicity court case resulting in the Citadel becoming coed much to the horror of most of the students, faculty, staff ,etc at the Citadel.

The Citadel is coed now but Shannon's story was not so good. She did go as the first female at the Citadel but she did not last there long. Due to the harassment she received, she left.

Now there are numerous recommendations needed to get into the Citadel and somehow she bypassed all of them. So this could theoreticaly happen. There has been much discussion about whether there should be all female schools. I was never a proponent of single sex education but have found that it works very well for some kids. I am sorry that there are not many all male options available. My boys did much better at all male schools and the girls loved going to an all female school. Though they all preferred a coed college, I do believe that a single sex college could be a better alternative for some kids, males as well as females.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page