An interesting predicament...

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: March 2004 Archive: An interesting predicament...
By Flyguy (Flyguy) on Wednesday, March 10, 2004 - 07:59 pm: Edit

It seems many of the good folk on this forum claim to have phenomonal stats. These stats of theirs would place them into the top 5% (and maybe even higher) of all students nationwide [as viewed through their SAT and GPA scores].

In spite of this, there seems to remain an abundance of lackluster and simply moronic posts asking questions which fall into the category of just plain unintelligent.

Someone please enlighten me as to why such an intelligent group of youngsters come off as so... retarded sometimes.

By Crnchycereal (Crnchycereal) on Wednesday, March 10, 2004 - 08:08 pm: Edit

The fact that a large number of students on these boards have great stats isn't necessarily indicative of their innate intelligence/maturity or lack thereof. One can study, hire a tutor, and take classes for the SAT's, which most people recognize as an inaccurate gauge for "future success in college" or really anything important at all. Likewise with GPA/rank, though this is clearly more tied to intelligence, it's more a measurement of how hard one is willing to work. And last time I checked, I don't remember intellect precluding immaturity. There are plenty of rude, arrogant, child-like highschoolers out there with sky-high stats.

By Flyguy (Flyguy) on Wednesday, March 10, 2004 - 08:15 pm: Edit

Thank you for your words! Now I know that common sense is not so common. Who would have thought?

By Rebelnchic (Rebelnchic) on Wednesday, March 10, 2004 - 08:35 pm: Edit

I also have a feeling there are a ton of people who lie about stats or just post on here to make people nervous. I don't get it. It just seems kind of mean and stupid. We're all in this together, and it upsets me to think that people have the desire/time to try and freak people out.

By Bunmushroom (Bunmushroom) on Wednesday, March 10, 2004 - 08:48 pm: Edit

flyguy, are you alluding to the angry penn posters who insulted you? Do not let them serve as a representation for this site.

By Araesova (Araesova) on Wednesday, March 10, 2004 - 08:58 pm: Edit

Representation for this site??? This site already has the worst rep possible. How could soooooo many people attain a 1500 + or even a 1450 + and not get into the greatest colleges in the nation, o ya, with a 4.3 + gpa???? Man people on this board seriously need to get lives. I leave you with that....

By Monkey10165767 (Monkey10165767) on Wednesday, March 10, 2004 - 09:04 pm: Edit

The fact is guys, nobody should take a public forum too seriously. If you are an aspiring student who wants to go to Stanford(let's say), you clearly are too gullible if you take too seriously what is posted on collegeconfidential. Just relax. Yes, I too have seen numerous stats that seem far-fetched or even inconceivable, but I don't let that sway me one bit. Even if these stats are authentic, I know that, as Crnchycereal said, certain SAT scores and GPA credentials are not true indicators of someone's inteligence. Quite frankly, I have seen people who can do very well on a standardized test, but also fail to conjure up one meaningful thought in everyday life. And yes, if you have the occasional prankster who wishes to scare the crap out of paranoid college hopefuls, just remember that this is a site mainly for entertainment and gossip. It is not a site that is credible for deriving concreted college information.

By Flyguy (Flyguy) on Wednesday, March 10, 2004 - 09:05 pm: Edit

No bunmushroom, I'm speaking in regard to the people who make posts inquiring about every email they receive, every thing that happens to them, and every single whim they have on how it affects their chances of getting accepted.

Try reading my original post more closely next time.

By Elgorila (Elgorila) on Wednesday, March 10, 2004 - 09:06 pm: Edit

Well, <5% of X number of high school seniors is a very large number, much larger than the number of spots available in the top 10 or so schools.

And GPA is more indicative of intelligence than SAT scores??? Are you kidding? I agree that neither can predict intelligence accurately (or 'success in college'), but GPA has NOTHING to do with intelligence.

By Bigblue04 (Bigblue04) on Wednesday, March 10, 2004 - 10:17 pm: Edit

Flyguy- what exactly is the point of this thread?

For a poster who supposedly has more "common sense" your condescending attitude is clearly unnecessary. Besides, baiting the Penn posters by posing a ridiculous question confusing Penn State and UPenn displays an obvious lack of common sense on your part.

Do us a favor and don't post unless you have something valuable to say in regards to college admissions.

By Itempest (Itempest) on Wednesday, March 10, 2004 - 10:34 pm: Edit

"but GPA has NOTHING to do with intelligence."

huh?

And I suppose you're the super-intelligent prodigy who never bothered to do his homework because he thought it was a waste of his time?

By Nikelaos (Nikelaos) on Thursday, March 11, 2004 - 11:16 am: Edit

I don't know if the other poster meant it like this, but I totally agree that GPA is NOT indicative of intellect.
First of all, you can never forget grade inflation, and how certain schools will definitely have somewhat "easier" programs than others, even if the same classes are taught (more or less analytical teachers, etc...)
Also, in the hypothetical situation where grade inflation didn't exist, it's not like high school marks (no offense, but ESPECIALLY considering the somewhat standardized testing methods in most US educational institutions) reveal how intelligent you are - in most cases, high marks correspond to lots and lots of memorization and practice in "taking the test," rather than having a critical and analytical viewpoint of the subject in question, which I believe lacks IMMENSELY in what seems to be the typical US education.
(I know that was all rather generalising and stereotypical, but bear with me...)

Then again though, GPA may reveal what some of you may define as "intelligence." But this cannot be equated at ALL with maturity or intellect, which are in completely different realms of thought. Intelligence may be the knowledge of certain dates and numbers, but intellect is the understanding of their relevance and putting everything into perspective.

annnnnd yeah, it's time for me to go to school now, so I'll leave it at that. haahhaha.

By Nikelaos (Nikelaos) on Thursday, March 11, 2004 - 10:47 pm: Edit

*bizzuuuump*

By Jennyzsong (Jennyzsong) on Thursday, March 11, 2004 - 11:11 pm: Edit

PFFFT HOW POLITICALLY INCORRECT OF YOU.

By Artic (Artic) on Thursday, March 11, 2004 - 11:18 pm: Edit

The answer is that common sense is inversly proportional to intellegence. So all the uber smart fools have little common sense. Sure some people are good with both, but not most.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page