How does this atypical university sound for you guys

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: March 2004 Archive: How does this atypical university sound for you guys
By Nj777 (Nj777) on Tuesday, March 09, 2004 - 10:55 pm: Edit

Today a college representative from DEVRY university came to my house and told some pretty interesting stuff and i thought i might share it with you guys

She started off be saying that " our U has a job placement rate of 90% but we do not have a football team!"

This university, has 29 locations all over the country, gets you an engineering, business or a management degree in just 3 years!!. Also she said this U is very non traditional. Only around 1000 studensts per campus, very few lectures but 90% hands on stuff( labs and everything), so no Philosophy classes or anything like that, a co op program right after freshmen year ( more money!), the school is yearly-meaning classes for 12 weeks and then 2 week break and then clases again and so on( hence graduation in 3 years)..., after graduation most students are offered excellent jobs.

For soem reason this university seems to attract me- especially since they have offered me a 1500 scholarship and a candidate for presidenst scholarhsip. So do you guys think i should give up U of illinois for Devery university? And yeah money is a somewhat a concern

By Xyz155 (Xyz155) on Tuesday, March 09, 2004 - 11:01 pm: Edit

Personally, I think the experiences you will have at a "traditional" university such as Illinois is worth the extra money. Yes, you can get a degree at Devry and probably get an ok job and if you really are not too concerned with having a real college experience then maybe Devry is for you. Just don't get the idea that it's going to be a normal college setting. It is going to consist of a lot of older people and kids that did not do very well in high school. I just think you would be missing out on the opportunity of a lifetime by not going to Illinois, I really do.

By Bck118 (Bck118) on Tuesday, March 09, 2004 - 11:06 pm: Edit

OKay, IM not sure where you r from, but Devry is a really SHI*TY school (if u can even call it a school). Its worse than going to a JC or community college. Like they advertise on TV and stuff, its like a technical college like ITT tech. U should definitely go to U of Illnois. I doubt compannies hiring would even consider Devry and college or univeristy, more so a professional or technical school.

By Digmedia (Digmedia) on Wednesday, March 10, 2004 - 12:26 am: Edit

I used to teach at one of the resident DeVry schools and can say these things:
(1) You will not get a traditional university experience at DeVry
(2) Yes, it is a technical school and as such does not have a university "reputation"
(3) It is a for-profit school, with everything that implies
(4) If you are not proactive in using the resources available at DeVry, they will continue to take your money for as long as you want to give it to them

BUT....

(5) If you want a technical job, and you are motivated, then the tools, instructors, and resources are there for you to get your money's worth from the school; it is not a ripoff
(6) One of our best employees (now one of our senior managers) is a graduate of DeVry. But he would have succeeded wherever he would have gone. He is a hands-on electronic tinkerer and has been building electronics devices from the time he was in middle school.
(7) The instructors there have good experience and can teach you a lot
(8) Their placement rate is good.

So there's good there, but you have to have desires and a drive to learn IN A PARTICULAR FIELD THEY TEACH to be a good match for DeVry.

By Sammgc68 (Sammgc68) on Wednesday, March 10, 2004 - 03:19 pm: Edit

I would MUCH rather go to MK than DeVry. A pretty good rule is that any colleges that advertise themselves (esp. on TV) are the kind that have to to get students.

By Candi1657 (Candi1657) on Wednesday, March 10, 2004 - 04:08 pm: Edit

I think that DeVry falls into the realm of "trade schools". Their credits are worthless at a real university, so forget about transferring unless you are willing to start from scratch. The point is that they will only teach you a limited amount of skills and limited skills means limited career opportunities. If you get a degree in practically anything at a regular college/university, you can get a job doing practically anything. Not so with a trade school. If you opt for a career change (and that's very feasible considering your age), a lot of employers will laugh at your degree.

Don't do it.

By Nj777 (Nj777) on Wednesday, March 10, 2004 - 05:21 pm: Edit

Thanks for all the info guys. Its surely off my list . Feeling bad about paying $50 for the appplication now :(

By Usunkmyb_Ship (Usunkmyb_Ship) on Wednesday, March 10, 2004 - 05:26 pm: Edit

at least you'll get another acceptance letter;) devry kept bugging too, blah

By Jolt21 (Jolt21) on Wednesday, March 10, 2004 - 05:41 pm: Edit

you had to apply? i thought it was like a Community College and you just enroll? o well..it sucks

By Nj777 (Nj777) on Wednesday, March 10, 2004 - 05:48 pm: Edit

Yeah- they had a seminar at my school last week. Then someone called me up three days back and asked me if i was interested in a tech school like devry. Just for kicks i said YES and she told me shes gonna come talk to me the next day. After one hour of BS she fills out a form and says the application fees is 100, 50 refundable, do you want to pay by cash or check!..blah, what a ripoff!

By Shahab (Shahab) on Wednesday, March 10, 2004 - 06:30 pm: Edit

my dad is a teacher for Devry. The students are very lazy and it is not a great environment for learning, save for some dedicated immigrants/professionals,who would probably make it anywhere but chose Devry because of cost issues. I would seriously reccommend going somewhere else.

By Araesova (Araesova) on Wednesday, March 10, 2004 - 06:49 pm: Edit

yes it does have a 90% job placement rate...what kind of jobs you ask? JANITORIAL POSITIONS!! DO NOT GO THERE MAN, I wouldn't go if they gave me a full ride and 100k a year...man its a bs school.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page