San Diego State

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: March 2004 Archive: San Diego State
By Savedbythebell7 (Savedbythebell7) on Tuesday, March 09, 2004 - 09:41 pm: Edit

I just got accepted!! and I hear they have a good undergraduate business program...so far i'm 2 for 2, bring on the rejections! :). Anyone else having thoughts of going to SDSU? I hear its getting much more competitive every year.

By Savedbythebell7 (Savedbythebell7) on Tuesday, March 09, 2004 - 11:44 pm: Edit

I know this sounds shallow and all, but how far away from the beach is San Diego State? Also is USD closer to the beach?

By Demonllama (Demonllama) on Wednesday, March 10, 2004 - 12:01 am: Edit

sdsu has a really nice campus. if i had gotten rejected from the UCs and Cal Poly, I would have chosen to go there. it's really close to the beach. don't know about usd, but either way, as long as you're in san diego, you'll be really close to the beach. i lived there for a few years. you want right on the beach? that would be ucsd. huge campus, located in la jolla...awesome place (la jolla i mean)

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Wednesday, March 10, 2004 - 12:22 pm: Edit

Savedbythebell, Congratulations! Admissions to SDSU was VERY competitive this year so you should feel really good about your acceptance there.

USD and SDSU are about 10 minutes from each other. Neither is within walking distance to the beach - the beach is about a 10-15 minute drive from USD and maybe 15-20 minutes from SDSU, depending on time of day, traffic, and which beach you're headed for. At either school, you'll need a car or at least a friend with a car to get to the beach.

One great new thing about SDSU will be the new Trolley line - you'll be able to zip right into downtown San Diego where there's lots to do. You'll also be able to take the trolley over to the major malls and movie theaters in Mission Valley. I think it will be operational in 2005.

I guess I kind of disagree with Demon, however, in terms of location, I'd rather go to SDSU or USD. UCSD is kind of out in the middle of now where - about the only thing that's nearby IS the beach. Of the three schools, SDSU's immediate neighborhood is the one most geared towards college students.

By Savedbythebell7 (Savedbythebell7) on Wednesday, March 10, 2004 - 05:09 pm: Edit

Carolyn, you are by far the MOST helpful person on Collegeconfidential, they ought to be paying you for the services you provide! If you were a counselor you'd be like the goddess of all counselors...but honestly thanks for all that you do, I really appreciate it.

My dad says he loves the mission valley, because it gets more sun than the coast and every once in a while some cool fog comes in, plus he thinks the area in general is really neat. He likes the "old" California feel of it all, even though he says that the surrounding is somewhat of a low income area, but it's not "ghetto" persay like west oakland or watts.

***This new trolley system sounds quite nice. I've heard late 2005 is when they're going to be finishing up with it! I'm excited!

So I figure i'd choose SDSU over Berkeley (no chance anyways), Davis and Irvine, mainly because SDSU has an undergraduate business program and SDSU seems to be becoming more reputable every year. I've heard San Diego has a relatively hot job market, so do you think it'd be relatively easy to land a job at a securities or brokerage firm? (i'm interested in summer internships as well).

By Coffeeshopgirl (Coffeeshopgirl) on Wednesday, March 10, 2004 - 05:12 pm: Edit

"...SDSU's immediate neighborhood most geared towards college students..."

Haha, i have to disagree on that one. you have to drive to go anywhere; if you consider mission valley mall in the immediate neighborhood, then, i guess you're correct (but it's usually a 5-10 minute drive; 15-25 during traffic). i never liked the area that surrounds campus, maybe sort of ghetto (i understand that my use of the term "ghetto" is subjective). I lived in the LLC dorms on the east end, and i had to walk through a smelly alley, behind a rubio's everyday to get to class (everyone did).

My posts about SDSU maybe a little bias considering that I went there last year and I decided to transfer. Congratulations on your acceptance; business is, from what i hear, excellent, but i suggest that you do further research about the business dept to get a feel of how proactive the program is. I decided to go to SDSU because of their Comm program, but when i arrived, I later learned, how much the dept was deteriorating. I, then, made the irrational decision to move back home, go to a JC for a year and try to transfer to USC.

Anyways, leave your college options open before making your decision to go to sdsu. some people absolutely loved it and others left half way through the year. I didn't hate sdsu, it was awesome being able to party and get wasted every other night and still pull a 3.8 GPA, but i was definitely frustrated with the incompetence of SOME of the students as well as the lack of challenging material in some of my courses. If you have any more questions about SDSU, like housing, courses, etc. feel free to ask me.

good luck and congratulations again.

By Savedbythebell7 (Savedbythebell7) on Wednesday, March 10, 2004 - 05:16 pm: Edit

What dorms are the best ones to be in? Preferably the newest and nicest...?

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Wednesday, March 10, 2004 - 05:36 pm: Edit

Coffeeshop girl - You bring up some good points that Savedbythebell needs to consider. Yes, the communications program at SDSU has had many problems in the past few years. I wouldn't recommend SDSU for communications at this point.

However, I'm an alumnus of the SDSU MBA program so I am very familiar with the business school at SDSU. It lacks many of the problems that the communications school has - For one thing, it's a much larger school. The administration considers the business school to be "the flagship" program of SDSU. As such, it's relatively well-supported financially by both the school and private donations compared to other SDSU programs. Many of the teachers in the business school are well-known in the business education world and most have "hands on" consulting experience that gives the business school a more down-to-eath, here's what you need to do in order to get a job type of approach. I was very satisfied with the quality of classes and faculty at SDSU business school (and I was getting my MBA after 20 years in the business world).

However, there's no question that SDSU - like the rest of the schools in the California state system - whether UC or cal state - has been undergoing a lot of turmoil because of the continued California budget problems. From what I gather talking with former professors of mine at SDSU, this hasn't dramatically affected the business program since the school sees the business program as its "window" to corporate sponsors.

However, Savedbythebell, I would urge you to go visit and try to attend some classes. SDSU has its pluses and minuses. The pluses: a strong business school, a good reputation in the San Diego business community, excellent internships.

The minuses: expect HUGE classes in your freshman year in the general education classes and introductory business classes. Because of the budget, the administration has been quite open about the fact that they're reducing the number of classes they offer and increasing the enrollment in the classes they do offer. SDSU is already notorious for making it difficult for students to get into many of the most popular classes, especially in impacted majors like business and communications. Because of this, many students find it takes them five years to graduate. In fact, the overall four year graduation rate at SDSU is only about 7%!

I'd also say that anyone considering SDSU needs to be aware that this is not the school to go to if you want a lot of personalized attention or if you are not mature enough to take control of your own education. Like at many huge schools, you need to be pro-active, ask alot of questions, and be a bit pushy at times to get what you want and need. (Savedbythebell - I suspect this will not be a problem for you).

An SDSU business degree is well-respected by employers in the San Diego area but keep in mind San Diego probably isn't where you want to end up if you want to work in the securities industry - you'll need to go to NY or another larger city for that. In those cities, a degree from SDSU will not give you any advantage.

I still hold to what I said about the area around SDSU - I never felt it was particularly dangerous. Parts of the surrounding area are definitely lower class but it is not the worst part of San Diego by any stretch. SDSU has more restaurants, stores, etc. in the immediate area than UCSD or USD - as a larger campus, it also attracts some wonderful concerts and other entertainment to campus. Once the trolley line opens (the SDSU stop will be right in the middle of campus), it will be very convenient to even more.

But one thing I would warn you about Savedbythebell is that campus housing is extremely limited. Even if you're not absolutely sure yet that SDSU is THE choice, I'd say send in your housing reservation form right away just to reserve a spot.

In any case, as I said, SDSU has its pluses and minuses. Consider both carefully, visit again even if you already have, and be sure you're up to the challenge of a large school environment.

By Coureur (Coureur) on Wednesday, March 10, 2004 - 08:13 pm: Edit

Carolyn,

I wouldn't quite say that UC San Diego is "out in the middle of nowhere". La Jolla Village Square is right there. The best mall in San Diego, University Town Center, is a few blocks away, and the trendy downtown La Jolla scene is just down the hill.

If you are a biomedical major two great research institutes, Salk and Scripps, are located right there, plus a ton of biotech companies many of which offer summer jobs.

Oh yeah, and there is the beach.

You could find a much worse spot for a university than UCSD's location

By Socaljessie (Socaljessie) on Wednesday, March 10, 2004 - 08:15 pm: Edit

SDSU is WAYYYYY overcrowded. You'll be lucky if you get out in 5 or 6 years. USD is a wonderful school and in a better location, beautiful view of the beaches from the dorms (its on a hill). Both are not that close to downtown San Diego (about 20-30 minutes, depending on traffic).

By Savedbythebell7 (Savedbythebell7) on Wednesday, March 10, 2004 - 10:37 pm: Edit

Yeah i've heard problems about over-crowding, but i've never really wanted to much attention from my teachers. The price of SDSU is much cheaper than USD for my parents, so I don't think a 5th year would be too much of a financial struggle, plus i've heard SDSU is a fun school, so I probably would not mind it too much.

Carolyn - Thanks for the advice about getting a spot in a dorm, right now. I plan on sitting down with my parents this weekend and figuring out which dorms would be the best.

Thanks for everyones help on this board, you guys have been great. I don't think I have a shot at UCSD, so we don't have to worry about that decision.

By Savedbythebell7 (Savedbythebell7) on Thursday, March 11, 2004 - 12:11 am: Edit

I'm sure San Diego has securities such as Merril Lynch and Schwab, although most the action takes place on Wall Street and i'd have to wake up at about 5 A.M. to get in on that, it'd still be quite worth it to me, besides i'd be off work at 1 and could go surf ;).

By Coffeeshopgirl (Coffeeshopgirl) on Saturday, March 13, 2004 - 04:17 pm: Edit

savedbythebell, business/finance career prospects in san diego are excellent. my cousin interned at merril lynch last summer in downtown san diego; she's an econ/finance major at ucsd right now.

By Serdu (Serdu) on Saturday, March 13, 2004 - 05:31 pm: Edit

Nope Carolyn is right. My school is somewhat near UCSD, and its FAR. It quite literally is in the middle of nowhere. That nice Mormon church is close and a shopping center or two, but that's it. A few NICE hotels. But downtown is 15 minute drive.

By Serdu (Serdu) on Saturday, March 13, 2004 - 05:33 pm: Edit

Ok, USD is 10 minutes aawy from Downtown. You can see it! SDSU is out in La Mesa, but if you drive down the 8, through Mission Valley and merge on to the five, it will take you about 20 minutes to get to Downtown. USD IS not far from Downtown at all.

By Nucleargod (Nucleargod) on Saturday, March 13, 2004 - 06:54 pm: Edit

does anyone know about computer science at SDSU

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Saturday, March 13, 2004 - 08:04 pm: Edit

Computer science is so-so at SDSU. Some people have posted here in the past complaining about the program and limited courses. Check it out yourself, however.

By Steffie1212002 (Steffie1212002) on Saturday, March 13, 2004 - 09:46 pm: Edit

Weren't there recently a bunch of rapes at SDSU that have been desperately hushed up? As a female I'd be kind of scared to go, though they usually occur at frat parties etc.

By Flyguy (Flyguy) on Saturday, March 13, 2004 - 09:50 pm: Edit

I'm 7 for 8 , thanks UCLA for the first rejection :(

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page