THANKS CAROLYN!

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: March 2004 Archive: THANKS CAROLYN!
By Winterfresh (Winterfresh) on Tuesday, March 09, 2004 - 07:19 pm: Edit

You probably don't remember but last September when I was a junior, I was looking for colleges that would take an "average" student like me. You recommended some schools for me to look at, one of them being Hartwick College. I applied and just got my acceptance letter (more like packet) today and am so greatful to you because I wouldn't ever heard of the school if it wasn't for you. Keep up the recommendations!

Thanks for everything!

P.S. I also received a 20,000 dollar scholarship! (5,000/year)

By Becks777 (Becks777) on Tuesday, March 09, 2004 - 07:25 pm: Edit

Carolyn and some other parents have been really really helpful in this whole college process

Good job guys :)

By Artic (Artic) on Tuesday, March 09, 2004 - 07:40 pm: Edit

This site should be advertised to the juniors and sophomores. I didn't hear about it untill after I applied to schools. I wish I could have found it earlier. It is good that the parents are helping people out

By Najy (Najy) on Tuesday, March 09, 2004 - 07:42 pm: Edit

artic- me too...i'm much more involved/interested in the whole process now than I was 6 months ago.

By Calimom (Calimom) on Tuesday, March 09, 2004 - 07:44 pm: Edit

How nice that she could help you. Congratulations to you, and way to go Carolyn!! She is definitely an asset to these boards .

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Tuesday, March 09, 2004 - 09:38 pm: Edit

Winterfresh!!!! I just saw on the "acceptances" thread that you were accepted at Hartwick and I was going to email you --- but I'll say it here:
CONGRATULATIONS!!!

I knew that Hartwick would be a good fit for you -they are great at seeing the potential in students and turning that potential into success!
It is a terrific school and I KNOW you will do well there. And, have fun in Oneonta - it's a great place to be a college student.

I'm so proud of you!!!

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Tuesday, March 09, 2004 - 09:42 pm: Edit

P.S. I also received a 20,000 dollar scholarship! (5,000/year)
>>

Oh Winterfresh - Wow. This is the icing on the cake. I am thrilled for you. Best of luck and do come back next year and let us know how it's going. I've always enjoyed your posts and common sense attitude and I know you'll go far.

Best wishes!

By Winterfresh (Winterfresh) on Wednesday, March 10, 2004 - 07:23 am: Edit

Thanks everyone! Carolyn, you're a parent right? It's great to see parents and students co-existing and helping each other on the boards.

I'm happy I received the scholarship but the school is still 36,000+ a year!! I don't know what I'm gonna do =(

By Marite (Marite) on Wednesday, March 10, 2004 - 09:01 am: Edit

Winterfresh:

First, congratulations. Is Hartwick your top choice? Are you expecting more news come April 1?
I would suggest you try to ask for a higher offer once further news come in, explaining that your financial situation will make it difficult if not impossible for you to accept their already generous offer. $16,000 over four years, not counting books, travel, and incidentals is quite a bit for you to come up with on your own.
Try to calculate what a more comfortable amount would be for you and work from there to make college affordable for you. Best of luck in your negotiations.

By Northstarmom (Northstarmom) on Wednesday, March 10, 2004 - 10:06 am: Edit

Winterfresh,
Congratulations! I am so happy for you!

And I also appreciate your sharing your good news with us. It's always nice to hear of good things happening to nice people.

By Kissy (Kissy) on Wednesday, March 10, 2004 - 10:55 am: Edit

Congratulations Winterfresh!

And, accolades to Carolyn! Your in-depth knowledge of colleges is so impressive and it has to be gratifying to know how much you're helping out the students on this board!

By Winterfresh (Winterfresh) on Wednesday, March 10, 2004 - 11:55 am: Edit

Hartwick is actually my second choice so it was even sweeter to be accepted. I actually still have to send in Hartwick's financial aid form so it'll give me a better idea of what they'll giving me. Man, 36K is so high. I've told my friends about my acceptance and how much Harwtick costs and they think I mean to say Harvard lol.

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Wednesday, March 10, 2004 - 12:10 pm: Edit

Winterfresh, unfortunately, Hartwick's price is comparable with many other LAC's in the Northeast. With the $5000 a year scholarship they've already given you, the cost is about $30,000 a year, which is actually pretty reasonable as far as schools in the Northeast go.

Get in that financial aid form and see what they offer in need-based aid. Hartwick can be generous with financial aid packages. I'd suggest that you very carefully read through all of the information on their financial aid web site: http://www.hartwick.edu/x588.xml
Pay particular attention to the discussion of what typical financial aid awards are to families in the income range of your family. Also, read through the family stories to see if any sound like your family.

Finally, I see on their site that they'll be having an online chat on March 24 discussing financial aid topics with admitted students. It would be a good idea to attend that, and perhaps see if your parents can also participate.

One other thing: after freshman year, there is plenty of low-cost rental housing available in Oneonta so you might be able to save a bit on the cost of room/board that way. But you should live on campus the first year at least.

GOOD LUCK!

By Jdasmom (Jdasmom) on Wednesday, March 10, 2004 - 02:17 pm: Edit

Winterfresh, congratulations on your admission to Hartwick! My son also was accepted for next fall. (No decision yet since other he still has to hear from a couple more schools but he liked Hartwick very much when we visited it.) I just wanted to encourage you to get your financial aid application in to Hartwick as soon as you can. My son got a Nelson Scholarship ($8,000 a year for 4 years) but the financial aid package letter came a couple weeks later. I have been impressed by all the helpful information Hartwick has sent us along the way. If you are truly interested in attending I think they will work hard to make it work out for you. Good luck!

By Winterfresh (Winterfresh) on Wednesday, March 10, 2004 - 02:50 pm: Edit

Yeah I will definitely try to see the school. I'm also waiting for other schools to contact me. The acceptance from Hartwick was a total surprise for me. It makes my decision a whole lot harder now =)

By Slayer (Slayer) on Wednesday, March 10, 2004 - 07:00 pm: Edit

Winterfresh, CONGRATULATIONS!!! :) :) :) and yay for Carolyn helping you find the school. I'm happy for you. Good luck with the financial aid and stuff

By Valpal (Valpal) on Thursday, March 11, 2004 - 02:05 am: Edit

Way to go, Winterfresh! I wish you the best of luck with obtaining a workable fin. Aid package. Do you feel like you can finally relax a bit now?

By Northstarmom (Northstarmom) on Thursday, March 11, 2004 - 02:20 am: Edit

Winterfest,
Why haven't you sent in Hartwick's financial aid form? Probably the majority of schools are divving up their financial aid monies now, and people who get things in too late may not get anything, no matter how desireable they are. I can't emphasize how important it is to get that form in right away.

It is always important when applying to colleges to make sure that one has schools that are safeties in all meanings of the word meaning that one knows that one can get in and can afford the school.

Unless one knows that one definitely will get a certain amount of financial aid (such as if schools give a certain amount automatically to people at your income level), one should consider schools financial safeties only if one knows one can attend those schools even if one doesn't get any aid from the college.

I notice that you live in Montgomery County, Maryland (excellent school system), are African American, first generation college, B student with an 1180 SAT. You could go to college much cheaper by going to a public 4-year college in Maryland or by going to an excellent community college (of which Montgomery County, where I have lived) such as what's in your county, and then transferring.

If need be, you also could live at home and commute and then transfer to a more distant school after sophomore year. Travel costs can really hurt your budget, and it can be lonely and difficult to have to spend holidays and long weekends on a college campus that is far from home. This particularly is true if you're on e of the few black students on campus and you miss things like home cooking and black-oriented TV and radio stations.

Check out Bowie State, a historically black college in Prince George's County Maryland that's just a Metro ride away.

In-state tuition and fees (colleges impose a variety of mandatory fees including health fees, student activity fees) comes to about $4,700 per year for state residents. If you chose to live on campus, that would raise your total costs to about $10,000 a year plus about $800 or so for books (Warning: textbooks are very expensive, and one can not pass without buying them. This book estimate is from me, not the college, because I could not find this info there.)

They are still taking applications untll April 1. You would be at the top of their pool so might get merit aid, too. Their "preferred" applicant has at least a 900 SAT, 2.0. I believe that you'd qualify for their honors program, which would make you among the campus stars and give you extra attention from faculty. Their faculty, too, is very caring and nurturing. It is a great place for first generation college students to be. I have done some consulting work there, so have personal knowledge of it.

There's a open house the Sat. March 22, so consider checking it out.

They are the #3 place in the country when it comes to African Americans getting masters degrees in communications, a subject I notice you're interested in.

I can not emphasize more strongly that you need a financial safety. This could be a good one for you. Also, do not underestimate how difficult it can be to be far from home, unable to afford to go home or to call home, and to also be one of very few black students on a mainstream campus. That can be a very difficult culture shock.

Noticing from some of your earlier postings that you are first generation college, I assume that you don't have a lot of money for college. I am very worried about you. Please check out this college . It's better to apply to a place like this and end up not needing it as a back-up than to have the summer come and to see that financial reasons mean that you have no 4-year college to attend.

Link to Bowie State: http://www.bowiestate.edu/bowieweb/welcome/facts.html

You are such a strong potential candidate for Bowie that I even suggest that you call or e-mail admissions and tell them about your scores, grades, and the name of your high school, emphasizing that you're in Montgomery County and are first generation college needing aid. Your high school may be one of Montgomery County's worst, but probably still is lots better than the schools that many of Bowie's students go to,

They may also be willing to prioritize your application including guaranteeing financial aid.

And have you visited any of the colleges to which you have applied? I don't suggest attending a college if you haven't seen it.

Also do consider how many black students are on campus. University of Hartford is in a suburban location that is, I believe overwhelmingly white. The student body of 5,000 is 8% black.

Hartwick has about 1,400 students, of whom only 4% are black. That's fewer than 50 black students on the campus. It's in the sticks of NY State. You would have a completely different environment than you do in Montgomery County, MD, which is very diverse and also is a large metro area.

I am a rare black person from the sticks of NY State. I couldn't wait to get out . It's a beautiful area, but it can be very difficult being black in such an area where one will have difficulty getting make-up, getting one's hair done, finding a church (if you want a mainly black denomination) and will have to constantly explain black people to others who have never been around black people before, and you are female, you'll have a very hard time finding dates.

If you happen to like parties in which drinking, not dancing, is the focus, and if you happen to like country music, an Upstate NY small town is the place to go. Oneonta has a population of 17,000, of whom 4% are black. The closest "city" is Utica, population 60,000. Average temp in Jan., Feb. :20-22 degrees.

I do know black people who have gone to these kind of colleges and have been happy. My husband is one. Before choosing a college to go to, though, take a very thorough look to make sure it is a place that you would enjoy.

By Winterfresh (Winterfresh) on Thursday, March 11, 2004 - 07:21 am: Edit

Wow Northstarmom, are you psychic or something? lol. I applied to Bowie and Salisbury State already so I should be hearing from them. Those are my financial safeties. I know that Hartwick is not terribly diverse which is why Catawba was my first choice. The school has about 1400 and is 16% black which is awesome.

Thanks for all the info and advice!

By Yodisistim (Yodisistim) on Thursday, March 11, 2004 - 12:49 pm: Edit

I would also like to thank Carolyn for the most helpful advice. Instead of presenting biased opinions, she hits the threads with the facts.

Now that's being real...Thanks Carolyn!

By Easydoesitmom (Easydoesitmom) on Thursday, March 11, 2004 - 01:07 pm: Edit

NorthstarMom ~ Thank you for alerting Winterfresh to visit the campuses before he "jumps " in . Of course , Hartwick would love to have a student like him and he would be a wonderful asset to their community but he really should visit . We know how hard it is to even get out of town with younger children & school schedules , work schedules with no paid personal days , old cars , worries of $$ for an overnight stay or for the Greyhound for the college visit but my D was so enamored with one school (and they gave her lucrative scholarships ) until the big visit . Utica , I read , is one of the most impoverished counties in NY state . It would be hard to get an extra job there if he needed to make ends meet .BTW , some girls at my D's all - girl HS school are going to Hartwick and I have heard marvelous things about the school's academics to so do get up there ( while it's still perpetual winter ) . My sister couldn't stand the cold in NY so much that she is going to college in Maryland !

By Easydoesitmom (Easydoesitmom) on Thursday, March 11, 2004 - 01:18 pm: Edit

Carolyn again - Your post about Hiram College ( way back somewhere ) doubled our intensity in our search for a good college "fit " for my DD . Rural academic village that's centers on the students's intellectual needs but only 25 miles away from one of biggest and diverse cities in the Midwest . Not only was she accepted but she received a wonderful scholarship ....time will tell !

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Thursday, March 11, 2004 - 01:26 pm: Edit

Easydoesitmom - I've read some nice things about Hiram and I like all of the hands-on programs they have in their May semester.

And, you're right about the cold in upstate NY - Winterfresh, I vividely remember one day when I was at SUNY Oneonta when it was 50 below with thewind chill factor! Be prepared to bundle up!

Northstarmom raises some good points for you to consider. If you visit, you might also check out the size of the minority population at SUNY Oneonta right up the hill from Hartwick to get a better overall sense of the social scene possibilities. When I was at SUNY Oneonta, Hartwick students frequently came up to SUCO for different events and social activities.

I'm sure, however, that where every you end up, you will do well. Keep us informed about your final decision!

Good luck!

By Winterfresh (Winterfresh) on Thursday, March 11, 2004 - 02:18 pm: Edit

Easydoesitmom, I'm a girl lol

By Northstarmom (Northstarmom) on Thursday, March 11, 2004 - 07:16 pm: Edit

Winterfresh,
Thanks for posting about the other places where you've applied. Now, I can rest easy.:)
Sounds like you've made thoughtful selections, and will have some nice choices for the fall.
Best of luck!

By Congresssenator (Congresssenator) on Thursday, March 11, 2004 - 09:18 pm: Edit

Hey there, it's NCCD.

Congrats. :)

By Easydoesitmom (Easydoesitmom) on Friday, March 12, 2004 - 11:16 am: Edit

oops , sorry , Winterfresh ( about the gender ) .I read too fast as I am always trying to do two things at once . With a screen- name like WinterFresh , maybe you would like the North ?? The idea of checking out SUNY Oneonta is a good one too . Good Luck !

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page