AP'S

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: March 2004 Archive: AP'S
By Jab23rox (Jab23rox) on Monday, March 08, 2004 - 10:30 am: Edit

Are AP SCORES a factor in admissions (I know that AP course load is a factor)? I ask b/c many applicatons dont ask for them.

By Shebs (Shebs) on Monday, March 08, 2004 - 12:28 pm: Edit

For the UC's, the number of AP courses and tests you take are seriously considered. I'm sure this is the same for the Ivy Leagues, except that scores are also seriously considered for those schools.

By Massdad (Massdad) on Monday, March 08, 2004 - 01:10 pm: Edit

No school has a formal policy regarding consideration of APs, because not all applicants have the opportunity to take AP exams, especially lower SES students. To push the AP issue too much would be politically touchy.

That said, common sense would tell you that a school will use all the information it has available to make its decision. Since most of the highly selective ask for your AP classes and scores, you can safely assume they use the information. For those that don't ask, you can assume it does not matter to them very much, probably because any kid with good AP scores is likely to be a strong candidate anyway.

Jab, what are some top schools you've found that don't ask?

By Sammgc68 (Sammgc68) on Monday, March 08, 2004 - 03:03 pm: Edit

According to Satan Hernandez's "A is For Admission," AP scores can show strengths maybe not shown by SAT II's, as they test college-level stuff and not just basic hs.

By Voigtrob (Voigtrob) on Monday, March 08, 2004 - 03:11 pm: Edit

I think you have a slight typo spelling Michelle there, Sammgc. ;P

By Marite (Marite) on Monday, March 08, 2004 - 03:16 pm: Edit

Jab:

Obviously, there would be no AP scores available at the time of application for seniors. But if AP courses were taken before senior year, many colleges would expect to see the scores. AP scores are useful in verifying the rigor of the courses that are labelled AP. If students received As in AP classes but scores of 1 or 2 on the exams, colleges would think that the classes were not sufficiently rigorous to be considered real AP classes and might rethink the actual worth of the grades on the students' transcripts.
Many state universities, however, admit mostly on the basis of SAT (or ACT) scores, or even admit on the basis of belonging to the top x percent of a high school class. In those cases, AP scores do not factor in decisions.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page