Global Young Leaders Conference

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: March 2004 Archive: Global Young Leaders Conference
By The_One (The_One) on Thursday, March 04, 2004 - 05:04 pm: Edit

I got this strange letter today saying that "because of your outstanding academic achievements, you have been nominated to be a Global Scholar representing Canada at a session of the 2004 Global Young Leaders Conference which will commence in..."

I don't know what this is and I have never applied to anything like that. How did they get my academic records ? has anyone else hear of this organization ? I am thinking this may be a scam

By Mitwannabe (Mitwannabe) on Thursday, March 04, 2004 - 05:24 pm: Edit

I was wondering the same thing -- I got the same letter this morning, same text, chosen to represent Canada because of outstanding achievement etc. I think they're gonna send stuff in the next bit. It's not a scam though, I checked out the website (i thought the same tho, initially, haha)

By Dumplings (Dumplings) on Thursday, March 04, 2004 - 05:26 pm: Edit

http://www.iie.org/Template.cfm?Section=Scholars&Template=/Activity/ActivityDisplay.cfm&activityid=211

By Emperoriv (Emperoriv) on Thursday, March 04, 2004 - 05:30 pm: Edit

hey, i got one too.
It may not be a scam, but its aim is definately to make money from us.

I am certainly not going... dont have that kind of cash!

By Elrohir (Elrohir) on Friday, March 05, 2004 - 09:20 am: Edit

I got one too... Did the letter mention how they got your info? Mine said "we first heard of you through Collegeboard's Student Search Service" (something like that).. maybe based on SAT I/II scores? Can you guys tell me what your scores were? My scores are 1600/800/800/730, and I want to know if that's their criteria... or you can just lie in the survey and get nominated.

Anyhow, it would be kickass if I could attend. I'll be trying to raise some funds...

By Saji (Saji) on Friday, March 05, 2004 - 03:33 pm: Edit

Hey there! Got one of these letters too... except I've been nominated to represent France.

Never heard of that thing before tho it does sound like something similar to the Model UN thing...sort of.
They got our info from College Board. My Sat Scores were SAT I720/650 and SAT II 610/610/690 so I don't think that's the only criteria. What's that thing about being nominated? I don't know any one who would've nominated me. I live in France and go to a French school..
It sounds like fun but what's the point of attending GYLC really?

By Saji (Saji) on Friday, March 05, 2004 - 04:09 pm: Edit

Just read most of last year's threads on the GYLC thing. People say it's a great experience but that it isn't selective at all, it won't do you any good on your applications cuz it's so common.
Besides most people say that it's worth it only if u can afford it easily or get scholarships...

By Piquant77 (Piquant77) on Saturday, March 06, 2004 - 10:39 am: Edit

I got this too. Can someone link me to past threads, my computer is being demented and Search doesn't work.

What exactly _is_ the criterion for getting this letter anyway? It can't be more than SAT scores since none of us applied and they "first heard of us through Collegeboard", right?

I'm just wondering if it's worth mentioning to the colleges. Not sure if I'll be going; it's a non-profit organization, so their aim isn't really to make money, but the scholarship application is soooo long. :'(

By Gaothology (Gaothology) on Saturday, March 06, 2004 - 06:39 pm: Edit

hey i got one too, its crazy how they got all my info too.
*global young leaders:rep of wa state during my sophmore year
*and a national young leaders of america thing, this year (my jr year, wa rep again)
didn't/won't go to either one, both sound(ed) fishy

By Saji (Saji) on Sunday, March 07, 2004 - 08:01 am: Edit

I can't link you to past threads, piquant77-->dunno how u do that .But I read them and basically that GYLC thing is a very common thing and it's not selective at all so most people said it wasn't worth mentionning on college apps. I mean u can mention it but it won't do u negood.

I'm not going there i don't think, too much of a hassle really to find the money.

By Piquant77 (Piquant77) on Sunday, March 07, 2004 - 09:34 am: Edit

Ok, thanks. Though I do want to know what the criteria for qualification is; it may not hurt to slip it in if I'm already writing a letter...

By Sidis (Sidis) on Tuesday, March 09, 2004 - 05:31 pm: Edit

Just got the letter yesterday... "I am delighted to inform you that you have been nominated to be a global Scholar representing Ecuador at the session of the..."

With my 1340 SAT; 690/660/600 SAT IIs ?? yeah right!! I'm such a genius (...)!!!

It would be cool to travel there though... If I had the 2.5K ...

By Manyzhka (Manyzhka) on Wednesday, March 10, 2004 - 12:11 pm: Edit

I got one too. To represent Russia. (They definitely do not choose according to SATs.
Mine are 1320/690/730/740)

Though I'll probably send them an application for a scholarship ( I had the essays already - the same I wrote on college apps!!!),I wonder if there any worth to inform colleges about it.
(Actually what is it? Have anyone been there?)
Is there anyone here who knows?????? Please tell!!!

By Got2go (Got2go) on Wednesday, March 10, 2004 - 02:02 pm: Edit

If I were a used car salesman, I would send out mail to all high school seniors in my area saying...

"Congratulations. Because of your outstanding academic achievement I am delighted to inform you that you have been nominated to receive beautiful 1998 Chevrolet Malibu from Ray's Used Cars...Cost to receive this car will be $2500..."

I am sure I would sell more than a few cars to kids who would bring in the letter and buy the car.

By Saji (Saji) on Thursday, March 11, 2004 - 12:27 pm: Edit

Very smart got2go!

By Pretti (Pretti) on Sunday, March 14, 2004 - 08:52 am: Edit

Hey guys!!!

This is Preeti from Nepal. Well, I got the similar letter last year, which you guys have got now and I was chosen to represent Nepal. Like you all, even I was confused about all those questions which you are thinking abt?

I did attend the conference and can you believe i had to travel for almost 48 hours to attend the conference.I am quiet sure about this, that they got our names from collegeboard and in few cases it's possible that your teachers or your schoolmates who have already been to conference have recommended you.

Financially, yeah it was tough for me to get there but i thought of trying my luck and hence, applied for the scholarshipp and heyy!!! I was awarded with the scholarship and had to pay 100 more dollars from mah pocket plus the travel fare which is quiet a lot if you take off frm Nepal.

Well, I thought it would be a plus point when you apply to college.After all it wont negate your chances at all. I have applied to quiet a few colleges for this fall and am still waiting to hear from them.

Anyways what I would suggest you guys is that, if anyone of you want to go for the conference but dont have enough money, u can apply for scholarships , after all there's nothing to loose or else its not worth spending that amount for the conference.If you have extra money to spend then go for it!!! YOu will have great fun out there. In my case, I went coz i got the scholarship to attend, more so over I wanted to visit DC and NY and yeah I had a great time there!

I Hope this helps!

By Rinatfar (Rinatfar) on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 01:17 pm: Edit

Hello guys!
I've received the same thing to represent Russia. I don't think that they select according to SAT scores cos mine ain't even worth saying. I've searched about that on the net. Nobody says it's bad, but everyone sas that it's not worth going on your own money.

As to me, I would go there if I had enough money. I've applied to some local organizations for money but they take too long to answer.

Hope to meet u there...

By Rashmi (Rashmi) on Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 02:58 pm: Edit

I got last year(or was it last to last year???... can't remember for sure...). It's not really a scam but it is a useless program which definitely aims at making money. Ya, I know that they word the letter in such a way that they make you feel really specail, but laods of kids get it. I suspect that the Collegeboard or some other student search services releases the names to GYLC. And apart from that, most of you are interested in science, so don't even consider this as it will do nothing for your resume. I think they show you museums and stuff like that in DC, though I don't remember correctly.

By Lauz (Lauz) on Wednesday, March 31, 2004 - 04:06 pm: Edit

Hey everyone, I'm from England + I got the letter too! I was just wondering if any of you are thinking of going on the Europe trip rather than America. I'm not sure that the GYLC people actually look into your academic records cos i was nominated to go by a friend who went last year, n they didn't really ask for any information about me! she said the trip it was really fun and well worth it! Anyway, i've payed and i'm going, but i was wondering if anyone could give me ideas about who to ask for sponsorship. Can't wait, see you there maybe!!!! Laura

By Gagsta_858 (Gagsta_858) on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 09:46 pm: Edit

I also got nominated to represent Canada. Just my luck, its too late to apply for the scholarship!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page