Quality vs. Tuition Dilemma

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: March 2004 Archive: Quality vs. Tuition Dilemma
By Henfour (Henfour) on Wednesday, March 03, 2004 - 06:32 pm: Edit

I am a national merit finalist. I want to be an engineer and/or make a lot of money. Should I go to Ohio State and pay a net (after scholarships) of $4,000 per year, or go to a school like Rose-Hulman, Michigan, or Cornell where I would pay nearly $40,000 per year? Which school is better in the long run?

By Benjamin (Benjamin) on Wednesday, March 03, 2004 - 07:20 pm: Edit

How much financial aid could you squeeze out of Cornell and Michigan? If it is any substantial amount, I'd go to one of those places...

By Justin185 (Justin185) on Thursday, March 04, 2004 - 01:19 am: Edit

If you can get into Cornell and don't mind paying for it I'd say go to Cornell. I went there for two years and the engineering opportunities are awesome. However, it was too stressful for me. No matter how hard I tried my grades got worse and worse, so I transfered to a small state school. It was funny because my grades were not good enough to affiliate with MechE at Cornell but my transfer credits satisfied the requirements at the new school. While the research opportunities and quality of engineering labs are not at the Cornell level, I am learning a lot better and I was able to get a great internship for this summer. So while Cornell is a great school and can lead to many opportunities, you can still get a great engineering education at Ohio State. When it comes to the regular undergraduate courses such as thermodynamics, there won't be much difference. The graduate level and the amount/type of research projects is where you will see a greater contrast. But if you want to study nanotechnology and stuff of that nature, Cornell is the best place to go.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page