Rejected!!! Please help :'-(

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: March 2004 Archive: Rejected!!! Please help :'-(
By Macspower (Macspower) on Wednesday, March 03, 2004 - 11:19 am: Edit

I just got my rejection letter from University of Maryland last week and I've been totally depressed ever since. I feel like all the work I've done throughout my entire life has been a waste! My parents have been really mad at me because I've been doing really poorly through high school and I think this could be the last straw. My parents said that if I didn't get into UMD they would throw me out of the house! I haven't told them about my rejection yet because I haven't applied anywhere else. I don't know what to do anymore, can anyone please help me???

By Spiffydude04 (Spiffydude04) on Wednesday, March 03, 2004 - 11:20 am: Edit

post stats

By Candi1657 (Candi1657) on Wednesday, March 03, 2004 - 11:28 am: Edit

Spiffy...how compassionate of you...

To the OP, rejection from a school is not personal. It doesn't reflect upon your value as a person. Believe it or not, this is not the end of your life, it is a new beginning. You have plenty of time now to be more dedicated and conscientious.

About your family situation, I'm really sorry that your parents are so insensitive. I don't think it was a good idea for you to only apply to one school, but I guess what's done is done. Just think about, the worse that could happen is that you wind up at a community college for two years. Then you would have the opportunity to redeem yourself and work as hard as you can. If you put effort into it, you could turn out to be more successful than you ever imagined.

Good luck!

By Spiffydude04 (Spiffydude04) on Wednesday, March 03, 2004 - 11:35 am: Edit

Candi: post stats

By Candi1657 (Candi1657) on Wednesday, March 03, 2004 - 11:45 am: Edit

You have got to be kidding...

By Winterfresh (Winterfresh) on Wednesday, March 03, 2004 - 11:57 am: Edit

I think you should tell your parents now because it's only a matter of time before they ask if you got in or not. I'm really puzzled as to why you applied to only one school. I understand if your parents wanted you to only go to Maryland (my dad did too at one time) but they should've known how risky it is to apply to fewer than 3 schools.

You need to talk to your parents and also your counselor and see if there are some schools that you might've been interested in before that is still accepting applications or maybe just go to a community college for a couple of years. I know it's a hard feeling to swallow when you've been rejected (it's happened to me) but it's not the end of the world. There's no one way to get a Bachelor's Degree.

By H0neymoon (H0neymoon) on Wednesday, March 03, 2004 - 12:09 pm: Edit

It's terrible that your parents put so much pressure on you- not only does it obviously cause stress for you, it is completely irresponsible on their behalfs!

Since you only applied to that one college, perhaps your only option would be to take a year out, pursue other ventures, and re-apply for next year. This sounds daunting but it needn't be. My sister just got rejected from a drama school she wanted to attend, now she feels lost and goal-less, and useless. She's not, and neither are you. I am currently on my second gap year!! I travelled the world on my first year out, and then pulled out of college at the last minute when I returned. After re-assessing my interests and my priorities I decided to apply to different colleges, and now I'm accepted at NYU.

Forget your parents for a minute if you can. They are not you. Think about where you would like to go to college... are there any other places you are interested in?? If you do decide to take a year out,(which it seems would be your only option), dedicate that year to enhancing yourself, whether that means re-taking SAT's, travelling, whatever.

It's not the end of the world.

Now all that remains is to speak to your parents. I don't know anything about your relationship with your parents so it's difficult to say how to go about it, but the longer you leave it the worse it will get. I don't know about you, but when I am hiding something from my parents I find it hard to even get to sleep at night, I just want a clear mind. Blurt it out, or write them a letter if you can't physically say it, but either way, do it, and do it now. If they chuck you out of the house, send them round my place and I'll give them a lecture in good parenting, and send them away with sullen looks and hanging heads! I'm 20 with no kids, and even I know that putting your child under that much pressure is out of the question.... it's threatening almost... blackmail. Look I'm gonna blab on all day, so I'll leave it here, good luck, don't worry, your life isn't over. I hope I didn't patronise you in any way, and if you want to talk more about anything email me- E-mail addresses may not be put into CC posts. Please refer readers to your Profile. --Admin

Take care

By Texas137 (Texas137) on Wednesday, March 03, 2004 - 12:13 pm: Edit

Well, it sounds like you need to get some more apps out. After the main acceptances go out, there will be a group of schools that still have openings and will be accepting applications on a rolling admissions basis. The NACAC (Nat'l Assoc of College Admissions Counselors)website lists all of them. www.nacac.com There were some surprisingly good schools on it last year (Rutgers comes to mind). Look for a thread in the CC archives started April 16, 2003 by "nocollege" and you'll find lots of suggestions. Last year there were several students on CC in your position, and all were able to get accepted somewhere within a couple of weeks of being rejected everywhere they had originally applied.

By Ohio_Mom (Ohio_Mom) on Wednesday, March 03, 2004 - 12:37 pm: Edit

Also look at the 'I'm a good person' thread in Chances. There is a list of schools with rolling late admits for that Susan came up with for the original poster on that thread. And keep posting - you've now got several people pulling for you, and one who will give your folks a lecture!

By Thedad (Thedad) on Wednesday, March 03, 2004 - 01:09 pm: Edit

Okay, you're rejected, depressed, and your parents are unreasonable...but what in the name of the bloody blue Pleiades induced you to apply to only one college? Was this parents being dumb on your behalf? If so, their reality check just bounced.

Otherwise, you've received some good advice here about colleges with rolling admissions, etc.

By Sac (Sac) on Wednesday, March 03, 2004 - 01:28 pm: Edit

Sorry for your rejection.

Your parents need to know, obviously. But maybe it would help if, at the same time that you tell them, you present a plan for what to do next. Show them that you have talked with the gc about where else it is still possible to apply. Show them that you've investigated some community colleges from which you could transfer to UMD. (Do any of them have special programs or arrangements with UMD for future transfers?) Show them you are feeling bad but have picked up some maturity in the process and learned something. You could point out that two years of community college will save a lot of money, but also that it might be the right thing for you.

It sounds to me as if there has been much miscalculation here on both your parts about what it would take to get into UMD. If you've done as poorly in high school as you say, then community college might turn out to be the silver lining for you -- the place where you can pick up study and other skills you didn't get in high school -- so that when you do enter a four year college you will be successful at it. That is what I'm sure both you and your parents want for you.

By Ellemenope (Ellemenope) on Wednesday, March 03, 2004 - 01:38 pm: Edit

Macspower--

You don't sound as if you want to or are ready to go to college next year. I agree with Sac that community college would be a great place for you to start out your collge career (if you really want to go to college now, that is). Getting into UMD with a poor high school record was being pretty optimistic.

There are other options that may be palatable to your parents--you might think of getting a full-time job or going into the military (heaven forbid). What your parents don't want to have happen is to have you home next year, sleeping in late and playing video games till 3 in the morning.

By Ohio_Mom (Ohio_Mom) on Wednesday, March 03, 2004 - 02:22 pm: Edit

I would like to add one more suggestion - as you are working on what plan b should be - write it down. Having an agenda on paper will help you collect your thought, and not forget important points. There is also the possibility that having an agenda of things to discuss with your folks will help with the discussion.
By the way, do you have any idea what you might like to be doing in ten years?

By Wlrsqtr (Wlrsqtr) on Wednesday, March 03, 2004 - 02:30 pm: Edit

As Ellenope suggests, don't attend college next year if you are not ready. If your grades were trending up (for at least a year) and you feel ready that is fine. But don't dig yourself into a hole in college with a miserable first year GPA or get into the habit dropping classes. If you aren't ready do something else productive. If you are ready there is certainly a community college or perhaps one of the other state schools have a rolling admissions policy. Maryland is not so selective that you couldn' transfer in after an impressive term or two.

By Stargazrlilychk (Stargazrlilychk) on Wednesday, March 03, 2004 - 02:50 pm: Edit

come to the university of tampa! anyone can get in here!!! and the weather's beautiful!

By Sizandy (Sizandy) on Wednesday, March 03, 2004 - 03:11 pm: Edit

Macspower,

I totally understand how you feel. My whole life has been devoted to the University of Maryland, College Park. I am so so sorry about your rejection and I feel for you. If I didn't get in Maryland, I'd be so depressed as well. I hope you feel better and just know that you're life isn't over.

Your parents are wrong for kicking you out of your house but I hope they are reasonable. Just tell them your friend with a 3.8 1400 SATs didn't get in either. Seriously... make it up. UMD is freakin competitive so it's believable.

Try applying to Towson if it's not too late. They are amazing at accepting just about everyone i know. Community College is great too. Are you in-state?

By Flyguy (Flyguy) on Wednesday, March 03, 2004 - 03:50 pm: Edit

Spiffydude04....

let's see your stats

(I really think he's joking... lol)

By Mjl86 (Mjl86) on Wednesday, March 03, 2004 - 03:54 pm: Edit

there is nothing funny about being rejected to the only colleged in which one applied. I feel for you...

BTW it isn't too late... there are still universities that still accept people. Local Universities, for example. It doesn't mater if it is not the top university, you can do well and transfer to a better school.

By Foreignboy (Foreignboy) on Wednesday, March 03, 2004 - 04:36 pm: Edit

Didn't you apply anywhere else?

By Chen (Chen) on Wednesday, March 03, 2004 - 06:17 pm: Edit

I agree, waiting will only make your parents angrier when they find out. I recommend running as you ntoify them casually that you were rejected :) Seriously tho, just keep walking when you tell them. They'll probably be able to tell that you're already upset and do not need any further badgering (if there is any ounce of good in them) or they just won't have an object to concentrate their ire on.

As for being ready, that's something for you to decide. I don't see why everyone on this thread so far are saying that you probably aren't ready for college. We all feel anxious sometimes, and sometimes it's just a matter of straightening out your emotions or leaving the bad causes that helps you out in school.

And yep, U of Maryland is hard to get into! I know you're making your regrets right now, but it's not the end. You can transfer very soon after you are admitted to a rolling admissions school ;) Or I guess you could take the break.

By Angstridden (Angstridden) on Wednesday, March 03, 2004 - 06:22 pm: Edit

I heard Towson was rejecting anything less than a 3.8 GPA..dont know if its true or not but someone I knows son got rejected there with a 3.7.
MD has gotten competitive.
Anyway you may want to try a community college to start..
Tell your parents you thought it would be the best financial way to go. Good luck!

By Mythspinner (Mythspinner) on Wednesday, March 03, 2004 - 06:25 pm: Edit

All you have done has NOT been a waste. Granted, you probably should have applied to >1 school. But there are a lot of rolling admissions schools that are still taking applications now. Search for and apply to some of those. I'm sure that it'll work out somehow and you'll find yourself at a school you like in '04-'05.

mythspinner

By Hannah86 (Hannah86) on Wednesday, March 03, 2004 - 06:43 pm: Edit

i'm really sorry about everything. you should've applied to more than one school though. i think it's better for you to move on instead of brooding over what's already happened. i think the best thing for you to do is start applying to other schools that have a late deadline. and sooner or later you're going to have to tell your parents about it..

By Stevengoo (Stevengoo) on Wednesday, March 03, 2004 - 06:57 pm: Edit

nah my friend with a 3.65 and a 1050 got into townson...

By Winterfresh (Winterfresh) on Wednesday, March 03, 2004 - 07:11 pm: Edit

Salisbury State University is still accepting applications.

By F3arxn03vil (F3arxn03vil) on Wednesday, March 03, 2004 - 08:00 pm: Edit

angstriden
I know a 2.8/1020 that got into towson
crazy.. I know

By Chen (Chen) on Wednesday, March 03, 2004 - 08:06 pm: Edit

Oh yeah, you can try appealing their decision if your stats aren't that bad. I've heard of people appealing decisions before and getting accepted afterward, but this is just a stretch and would keep you dwelling in the past.

By Isaman (Isaman) on Wednesday, March 03, 2004 - 09:31 pm: Edit

My word...that's a shame. But WHY, WHY WHY did you apply to only one school?!

By Ceo1093 (Ceo1093) on Wednesday, March 03, 2004 - 09:50 pm: Edit

It is not the right time to ask him/her questions. Whatever he or she did, perhaps seemed reasonable at the time. So just live the person alone, if you can't help.

By Orangeclock (Orangeclock) on Wednesday, March 03, 2004 - 10:02 pm: Edit

Lie to them. say that you got a letter from the school saying they never got your transcript pr SAT scores. Why take responsibility when you can pass the buck?

By Mjl86 (Mjl86) on Thursday, March 04, 2004 - 05:47 pm: Edit

That doesn't really solve the problem I see a deap-seated problem, which is your relationship with your parents.

By Thedad (Thedad) on Thursday, March 04, 2004 - 06:15 pm: Edit

"Why take responsibility when you can pass the buck?"

Well, the cynic in me suggests that someone with this philosophy has a great future as a bureaucrat or political hack but that's a lousy attitude to be approaching college with.

By Santanu0510 (Santanu0510) on Thursday, March 04, 2004 - 10:27 pm: Edit

macspower: did you try purdue (Indiana)? it's a good school. Easy to be admitted but very competitive once you are in. Other good colleges are Univ of Redlands (CA) and University of Arizona. Good luck! Don't be so disheartend, it's not the end of the world, it's just a college, you'll have many chances.

By Najy (Najy) on Friday, March 05, 2004 - 05:28 pm: Edit

seems to me that macspower has checked out

By Texas137 (Texas137) on Friday, March 05, 2004 - 06:12 pm: Edit

it doesn't matter if macspower has checked out. This thread will be useful to someone in the next few weeks. Last year there were people who had applied to a lot more than 1 college who were scrambling when decisions came out. It seemed to work out okay for everyone, thankfully.

By Sailor_420 (Sailor_420) on Sunday, March 07, 2004 - 02:09 am: Edit

Orangeclock.... it doesn't help to pass on the buck. It comes back to you with a vengeance later on. I say this from experience.

Macspower. I'm really sorry that you got rejected. I would personally take a gap year in this situation. It's a good time to visit relatives, travel, maybe abroad, do some reading, re-take SAT's etc. then apply again next year, this time to more than 1 college

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page