2nd round of UC(I, R, SC) acceptances

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: March 2004 Archive: 2nd round of UC(I, R, SC) acceptances
By Savedbythebell7 (Savedbythebell7) on Tuesday, March 02, 2004 - 09:57 pm: Edit

Okay, clearly the first round of UCI acceptances were given out to the cream of the crop. Now for the second wave of acceptances and the dreaded rejections? who got in? who get rejected post your stuff

By Tigerstyle (Tigerstyle) on Tuesday, March 02, 2004 - 09:59 pm: Edit

oh man this is really killing me. it seems that yeah the first batch had some type of academic excellence (be it regents, chp, elc, whatever) or were still outstanding but could not fill those positions.

and now we wait...
...what concerns me a bit is that after 5 months they would still be reviewing our apps? either that or they don't want to post all of them at once.

By Savedbythebell7 (Savedbythebell7) on Wednesday, March 03, 2004 - 04:48 pm: Edit

anything yet....3rd day....

By Artic (Artic) on Wednesday, March 03, 2004 - 06:35 pm: Edit

I don't think first round was for the elites...
I got into UCSC and I condsider myself average (scores/ Gpa wise) I had a 1280 Sat, 720 Chem, 690 M2c and a 540 :( in writing. I also had a 3.5 gpa. It is decent, but I hardly consider myself among "the cream of the crop" My guess is that it is done by majors. I hear lots of the engineering departments did theirs first.

By Akperson1 (Akperson1) on Wednesday, March 03, 2004 - 06:45 pm: Edit

I already got into Cal Poly, but UCI has not posted their acceptance/denial for me (applied under electrical engineer) so I am not sure if it is just by department.

By Rowan (Rowan) on Wednesday, March 03, 2004 - 06:54 pm: Edit

I don't consider myself cream of the crop, either. 3.6/3.8 (depending on who you ask), 1280/1380 (depending on whether they took my newest scores from January), 740 writing, 680 literature, 590 iic (eewww). Anyway, I did apply as a science major, so perhaps they are more certain about those sooner?

Who knows.

(Edit: by the way, this is for UCSC. Didn't apply to I or R)

By Savedbythebell7 (Savedbythebell7) on Wednesday, March 03, 2004 - 08:21 pm: Edit

Yeah well I think just the elite got into "UCI" so far. But it seems lots of people haven't gotten into UCI as well, so who knows how they're doing it. Anyways, catch ya later.

By Polly (Polly) on Wednesday, March 03, 2004 - 08:56 pm: Edit

I think I got in UCR because I got an email from them, saying I'm accepted to the honors program.. but it doesn't clearly say I'm accepted to UCR.

By Mommydog (Mommydog) on Thursday, March 04, 2004 - 12:16 am: Edit

My son hasn't yet heard that he's been admitted to UCI, and that was supposed to be a "safety". He got into USC today.

stats:
1500 SAT SAT II's 800, 730, 700
UC gpa 4.2
5 AP tests 5, 4, 4, 4, 3. Will take three more this year.
Decent EC's
Perhaps he isn't Harvard material, but he sure should get into UCI. I just don't understand.

By Brandnew (Brandnew) on Thursday, March 04, 2004 - 12:23 am: Edit

im still waiting for Irvine and even Santa Cruz. I think they're doing it by majors, not the "elite" first. i see alot of people worrying that they will get rejected because they havent gotten a decision yet but im pretty sure ill get into at least one the above two schools..

here are my scores:
1530 SAT
770 2c, 770 writing, 710 physics

if i dont get into santa cruz then who the hell will??

By Greenmoo04 (Greenmoo04) on Thursday, March 04, 2004 - 12:32 am: Edit

I got into UCI, but my stats are definitely less than stellar- 1210, 650 writing, 630 history, 620 math, 3.7UC GPA, majoring in Political Science. Who knows?

By K0005 (K0005) on Thursday, March 04, 2004 - 12:34 am: Edit

I am nooot cream de la crop. However, I got into all 3 (Irvine, Riverside, SC) at a little after 12:00AM on March 1st (AKA Sunday night).

Perhaps it is because I applied to the biology major at the School of Biological Sciences? I had about 14-15 semesters of sciences while the average at my school/district is about 4-8 semesters.

My stats were: 1350 SAT I, 790 Writing, 730 Math, 700 Bio, 30 ACT comp. w/ a very low GPA at about 3.8 weighted. :)

By Mommydog (Mommydog) on Thursday, March 04, 2004 - 12:35 am: Edit

Well Brandnew, thanks for the post. If YOU haven't heard yet, then I'm not too worried. Your stats are similar to my son's. What is your gpa and prospective major? Thanks

By Savedbythebell7 (Savedbythebell7) on Thursday, March 04, 2004 - 03:04 pm: Edit

Why don't the UC's have a system of ranking? Because lots of people use UCI as a safety and if someone ranked it last out of the UC's, the university would probably rather accept someone with lower crudentials who isn't using it as a safety, but as a first choice school. Just an idea..

By Savedbythebell7 (Savedbythebell7) on Thursday, March 04, 2004 - 03:04 pm: Edit

Why don't the UC's have a system of ranking? Because lots of people use UCI as a safety and if someone ranked it last out of the UC's, the university would probably rather accept someone with lower crudentials who isn't using it as a safety, but as a first choice school. Just an idea..

By Thedad (Thedad) on Thursday, March 04, 2004 - 06:17 pm: Edit

In effect, they do this. They know how many people will accept their offers to within a very few percent, ergo they offer admission to the number of people required to generate the number they need. They know they'll get the students they need/want, the just don't know exactly which ones.

By Jongleur (Jongleur) on Friday, March 05, 2004 - 12:08 am: Edit

I got accepted into UCSC as a Regents Scholar finalist and into UCI's Campuswide Honors Program on March 1st. But with my mediocre ECs, I'm definitely not the cream of the crop.

My stats:
GPA- 3.92 unweighted with the most challenging curriculum available at my crappy CA public high school

SAT 1- 1510- 790 V 720 M

SAT 2- 780 US Hist, 740 Match 2C, 700 Writing

ECs- pretty weak...check prstats.com username jongleur if you're really interested

By Rowan (Rowan) on Friday, March 05, 2004 - 01:25 am: Edit

Jongleur -- you contradict yourself.

You *are* the cream of the crop, in this case, if you apply for special, very selective merit programs such as Regents and Campuswide Honors Program.

By Momoftwo (Momoftwo) on Friday, March 05, 2004 - 05:16 pm: Edit

My son just received acceptance to UCSC. He lives with me, his mother, in MA and goes to a small, private school here, but his Dad lives in CA. Due to a special provision of CA law, my son qualifies as a CA resident. (He was born there and spends alot of time there every year.) Anyways, he has pretty good stats, but his GPA is not as high as many I see posted here and I wondered whether that might hurt him. Apparently not at UCSC anyway. He has applied to other campuses.

SAT I 1380 (710V 670M)
SAT II Math IC 650, W 680, Am H 666
GPA 3.3 or so unweighted, not sure
Fair ECs etc

His last name begins with B.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page