Anyone got the Scholarship Selection Letter from NYU?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: March 2004 Archive: Anyone got the Scholarship Selection Letter from NYU?
By Soulofheaven8 (Soulofheaven8) on Monday, March 01, 2004 - 05:37 pm: Edit

I'm applying to CAS and today I received a letter stating that they are beginning to assign scholarships, and thus, if I am a National Merit Finalist, I should send in a copy of my certificate.

Now, do everyone get this letter? Is this tantamount to a "likely" letter? or do they merely send it out to anybody who them think might be a Finalist? (I got a 1580 on my SAT, but I'm not a NM finalist)

I just don't wanna get excited over some mass-mailing stuff that may not mean anything.

By Crnchycereal (Crnchycereal) on Monday, March 01, 2004 - 05:46 pm: Edit

This is in no way a "likely" letter; usually those will be PRETTY clear in their intent. It's just a mass-mailing to all NYU applicants. Both my brother and I received one...though I don't recall ever getting a NM Finalist certificate, so I'm not sure what to photocopy.

By Alina (Alina) on Monday, March 01, 2004 - 06:32 pm: Edit

I got a certificate and i got the letter. its definitely mass mailing

By Soulofheaven8 (Soulofheaven8) on Monday, March 01, 2004 - 06:35 pm: Edit

But do you guys think that the reason we got this mail is because of our high SAT score?

I don't think they'd send out something like this to people who got below 1350 on their SAT, or do they.

By Libsters (Libsters) on Monday, March 01, 2004 - 08:13 pm: Edit

I got one too, and I am not a NM Finalist ... Hmm .. But I broke 1500 on the SATs, and my PSAT score would be finalist if I lived in most states in the US ( I live in MA where it was at least 221 last year )

By Libroschico (Libroschico) on Monday, March 01, 2004 - 08:19 pm: Edit

I got the letter and I assumed that they sent them out either to people who listed National Merit on their application or people who made semifinalist according to NMSC. Interesting that they wounld send those letters to people who didn't even qualify -- that seems very unusual, not to mention cruel for those that just missed making Finalist.

By Soulofheaven8 (Soulofheaven8) on Tuesday, March 02, 2004 - 09:37 am: Edit

So it seems like they only send letters out to those who broke 1500 on their SAT.

I am not even close to being a Finalist, in fact, I barely made it to Commmended. Then I studied big time over the summer and got a 1580.

By Ohreally (Ohreally) on Tuesday, March 02, 2004 - 12:52 pm: Edit

1580?? wow
i got a 1500 on SAT but 235 (out of 240) on PSAT
weird huh
i got the nm finalist letter though, im glad they sent it to me cuz i guess i almost didnt get it if they were only sending it to people with above 1500
but i am a nm finalist so it works out
cant wait til decisions...

By Libroschico (Libroschico) on Tuesday, March 02, 2004 - 04:50 pm: Edit

I have a 1470 and I got it -- I am a NM finalist, so it's a good thing the cut off wasn't 1500.

By Spacechic20 (Spacechic20) on Tuesday, March 02, 2004 - 04:57 pm: Edit

"So it seems like they only send letters out to those who broke 1500 on their SAT."

Nope. I got a 1460 (34 ACT) and the letter, but i'm a NM Finalist.

By Spacechic20 (Spacechic20) on Friday, March 05, 2004 - 05:29 pm: Edit

oh oh! question. ok, so they want me to fax my NMF letter. Thing is, for my first choice school I listed Harvard (stupid, yes, I know). So when I fax this letter it'll show Harvard as my first choice. Will NYU care?

Thanks

By Libroschico (Libroschico) on Saturday, March 06, 2004 - 11:56 am: Edit

They don't want you to fax your NMF letter; they want a copy of your Certificate of Merit with your guidance counselor's signature on it. This does not -- should not -- have the name of any particular school on it.

By Spacechic20 (Spacechic20) on Saturday, March 06, 2004 - 04:37 pm: Edit

My school was actually never informed about the students who advanced to finalists. I have no certificate of merit, but only the letter they sent to me. Should I send this?

By Libroschico (Libroschico) on Saturday, March 06, 2004 - 08:23 pm: Edit

You should check with your principal's office because every H.S. principal was mailed a certificate of merit for presentation to the student. If that doesn't turn up anything, then make sure you call NYU admissions to explain why you are sending an alternate form of proof; I would also have your guidance counselor sign the letter before you send/fax it.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page