UC Santa Cruz email?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: March 2004 Archive: UC Santa Cruz email?
By Roxychick776 (Roxychick776) on Saturday, February 28, 2004 - 02:56 pm: Edit

I got a random email from UC Santa Cruz today saying thank you for applying and telling me notification will start on March 1. Is this a good sign or did everyone else get the same thing?

By Flyguy (Flyguy) on Saturday, February 28, 2004 - 03:19 pm: Edit

did it mention applying for financial aid?

cuz i got one like that

By Calimom (Calimom) on Saturday, February 28, 2004 - 04:04 pm: Edit

So did my child. Have no idea if it's a hint to you guys or just general mass e-mails, with one coming from the Executive Director of Admissions.

By Rowan (Rowan) on Saturday, February 28, 2004 - 05:51 pm: Edit

I got it. It looks pretty general to me, but hey, I can be hopeful. :)

By Flyguy (Flyguy) on Saturday, February 28, 2004 - 09:15 pm: Edit

yep i got it too just now..

Dear XXXXXXXXX:
I would like to take this opportunity to personally thank you for applying to UC Santa Cruz, a selective collegiate university with a national reputation for excellence. You are in good company; UC Santa Cruz received a record-breaking number of outstanding applications this year from top students from California and beyond.

By now, you may have received a letter from me acknowledging your application to UC Santa Cruz and explaining how you can access our applicant web site, my.ucsc.edu. This secure web site is a portal with information that is unique to you, and it will display your admission status when our decisions are finalized starting in March (for freshmen) and April (for transfers). You may also use my.ucsc.edu to update your contact information and to access information about your intended major. If you have problems accessing my.ucsc.edu, please e-mail the Help Desk at ais-help@ucsc.edu or call them at (831) 459-1611. Help Desk hours are 8:00 a.m. to noon and 1:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday.

While we are reviewing your application, we suggest that you take this time to learn as much about the university as possible by exploring our admissions web site at admissions.ucsc.edu (which may be accessed through the my.ucsc.edu portal). The best way to learn more about the university is to visit the campus. Information about our campus tours program is available at admissions.ucsc.edu/campustours. The more information you have about the opportunities at UC Santa Cruz, the better equipped you will be to make an informed decision about which university to attend if you are admitted.

In addition, if you think you might need financial assistance for college, we encourage you to apply for financial aid using the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at www.fafsa.ed.gov. Our Financial Aid Office has sent you a separate e-mail with more information about how to apply.

Once again, thank you for your interest in UC Santa Cruz.

Sincerely,

Kevin M. Browne
Executive Director of Admissions
and University Registrar

By Otterpop (Otterpop) on Saturday, February 28, 2004 - 09:38 pm: Edit

Yea, I got it too.

I think it's a general e-mail, but I'm not too sure because I'm pretty sure I'm in (I consider SC a safety). If I don't get into any of my reaches, though, I wouldn't mind SC at all; it's a fun school. What do you guys think of UCSC, by the way?

By Flyguy (Flyguy) on Saturday, February 28, 2004 - 09:46 pm: Edit

Well it was the only UC this year to have an increase in Freshman applications so I'm kinda worried.

By Srilanka12 (Srilanka12) on Saturday, February 28, 2004 - 09:50 pm: Edit

Hey
I got the same Email form UCSC...what does the "you are in good company mean"?...and anyone apply to UCI...when i check my GPA on their site a while abck...it was wrong..it was lower than what it was suppose to be...and also a lot of people at my school had the same problem...any comments anyone..also what do you guys think of my chances of any UC i appleid to all....
stats..
GPA 3.75 weight but IRvine thinks its 3.57
SAT 1-1250
SAT 2 math-680
writing-700
literature-430...screwed up real bad there
i took 3 college courses in one summer..junior year summer gogin on to senior...have community service, religious services, Varsity football 2 years, ok essays
im a sri lankan student and wrote one essay on it. It was about september 11th and how i got a lot of racism from people because of it while beign on the football team.

thanska lot

By Flyguy (Flyguy) on Saturday, February 28, 2004 - 10:45 pm: Edit

It said "You are in good company; UC Santa Cruz received a record-breaking number of outstanding applications this year from top students from California and beyond. "

Hence, you're not alone because so many people applied.

No wonder you got a 430 on literature.

j/k :)

By Srilanka12 (Srilanka12) on Sunday, February 29, 2004 - 01:47 am: Edit

what do u think my chances are of the UC's

By Rowan (Rowan) on Sunday, February 29, 2004 - 02:49 am: Edit

I love UCSC. When I told the lady who called me from Berkeley's financial aid office today what my top four university choices were, I responded with "Stanford, Berkeley, Santa Cruz, UChicago." ;) Helps that my boyfriend goes there, but only a bit -- UCSC is a great school in a great place, even if it is one of my safety schools.

It's a little isolated from the rest of the world; Santa Cruz is definitely a beach town X miles from the nearest metropolian center. That's part of its charm, though -- no big business, no super-busy highways, no smog (being by the ocean helps!), terrific environment... definitely deserves its place at the top of the most beautiful campuses. Because it tends to be a little more "low-key" (academically) than certain other UC campuses, there is great faculty support -- professors are rather open, love discussing things. It's good to get buddy-buddy with them, too, because UCSC's unique "evaluations" addition to the transcript means they're allowed to specifically say what they liked/did not like about you in their class. Parking is a major problem, but UCSC students get to travel on the rather extensive bus system for free during the school year. Very good school for the sciences, too! Heaven. :> A couple other downsides: drugs can be a problem in some of the dorms (sorry, I'm including alcohol in that) and it might be a downside for graduate school not to have the "name-brand" prestige of one of the other UCs.

Srilanka12, the "problem" might be that the UCs recalculate GPA based on their own system (a-g requirements, specifically). Try recalculating it their way, making sure to give yourself only 8 semesters worth of a weighted grade, and see what you come up with.

By Srilanka12 (Srilanka12) on Sunday, February 29, 2004 - 01:18 pm: Edit

well i had a college guidance counselor do my GPA for UC and he told me 3.75 and he has done this for many years for other UC students and he hasnt been wrong so im not sure...but other kids from other schools had the same problem

By Reverie (Reverie) on Sunday, February 29, 2004 - 08:59 pm: Edit

How do you check your GPA on the My UCI webpage?

I couldn't find anything pertaining to GPA.

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Sunday, February 29, 2004 - 09:13 pm: Edit

All the UC schools use the same method to compute the UC GPA. You can find out how to do it at
www.ucop.edu/pathways.

Basically, they drop out any classes that don't fit into their approved A-F classes. This means grades in things like PE, religion, art (beyond one year), etc. are dropped out. It also doesn't include your freshman GPA. You get a limited number of bonus points for AP/Honor classes that have been approved as such by the UC system. The page above tells you which classes at your school qualify as UC classes.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page