Undeclared for major

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: March 2004 Archive: Undeclared for major
By Shadow67 (Shadow67) on Saturday, February 28, 2004 - 02:35 pm: Edit

I applied for undeclared instead of engineering for UCLA even though I really like engineering. I applied for undeclared instead because I thought the engineering school might be too competitive to get accepted into. (I was soooo wrong!) So now, I just want to ask what the disadvantages of applying undeclared rather than engineering when you want to major in engineering. Thanks!!!...and any other advice would help....

By Shadow67 (Shadow67) on Saturday, February 28, 2004 - 06:02 pm: Edit

anyone?

By Atpchik (Atpchik) on Saturday, February 28, 2004 - 06:09 pm: Edit

I'm not too familiar w/ UCLA--but doesn't undeclared mean that you were admitted into the school's liberal arts school- like for U of M that would be LSA or for Cornell it would be CAS. So, basically if you wanted to do engin you'd have to transfer to the school of engin after you get into UCLA.

By Adr531 (Adr531) on Sunday, February 29, 2004 - 12:10 pm: Edit

hey, its pretty easy to transfer over ur first yr anyway. once ur in the school, u have a higher chance of being admitted to the engineering program. ur first yr u dont do too much with your major anyway, so u wont be left behind. there are prerequisites like intro to engineering, calculus, physics, chemistry lab etc that u need before they allow u to transfer. im in the same situation with UMass amherst and i called the admissions office to get the scoop on it.

By Shadow67 (Shadow67) on Sunday, February 29, 2004 - 03:30 pm: Edit

adr531, so you are saying i can tranfer over the first year? i thought u have to take the prerequiste and wait two years before you can transfer....

By Adr531 (Adr531) on Sunday, February 29, 2004 - 04:13 pm: Edit

nope u will be able to transfer over as a sophomore.

By Shadow67 (Shadow67) on Sunday, February 29, 2004 - 04:53 pm: Edit

wait...do u mean for UCLA or UMASS amherst?? if it is for ucla, would i be at any disadavantage if i transfer as a sophmore? i mean... is it harder to transfer at ucla to an engineering school or would i have to take more classes as a sophmore? thanks for your advice....

By Adr531 (Adr531) on Sunday, February 29, 2004 - 07:41 pm: Edit

my friend is in the same situation at northwestern. its like that for all schools basically. once ur in, ur in, and they give higher priority to the ppl that are already currently enrolled at the school so its easy to transfer to ur major of choice. as long as u take the prerequisites that u need to take during ur freshmen yr u wont be behind.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page