How good is UF?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: March 2004 Archive: How good is UF?
By Leejwwc (Leejwwc) on Friday, February 27, 2004 - 06:30 pm: Edit

Like the post says, how good is the University of Florida, I'm from FL and it seems like anyone with decent stats applies and gets accepted there. My dad is obcessed with getting me to go there b/c its a near free ride with Bright Futures. I would be going to the honors college there but I heard its only 2 yrs and honors dorms are hard to get. I would like to go out of state, so give me some input!

By Laceycheer (Laceycheer) on Sunday, February 29, 2004 - 01:57 pm: Edit

UF has good academics, is HUGE, and is big on sports, greek life, and subsequently, alcohol.

However, I would seriously rethink your statement that "everyone with decent stats" gets in. It seems like, this past application season, selectivity has gone WAYYYY up. ED isnt so bad... but RD is getting tough, My friend didnt get in, and he has NHS, BETA, and SGA, a 3.9W GPA and a 1360 SAT.

Their average SAT went up to a 1340 this year- (according to princeton review, the UF site has yet to be updated)

Even though its harder to get in however, this doesnt mean the school is suddenly becoming awesome. More likely, the adcoms are avioding having the student body population surpass 40-50,000.

But, giving credit where its due... UF is a good school, and with bright futures, it's excellent if you're options are limited financially.

So, my opinion is, apply, it doesnt hurt, and its a decent school- but find some other great schools out of state, if your means and stats allow. Personally, Im planning on applying there RD, as well as UNCCH, UVA, Wake Forest, Dartmouth Vandy, etc.

hope i helped
-lac

By I1lmatics (I1lmatics) on Sunday, February 29, 2004 - 02:07 pm: Edit

princeton review is messed up tho becuase look at the range they give: 1130-1340

they made a mistake and said the top 75%, 1340, is the average when the real average is approximatly a 1230-1240

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page