What are advanced standing credits?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: March 2004 Archive: What are advanced standing credits?
By H0neymoon (H0neymoon) on Thursday, February 26, 2004 - 04:27 am: Edit

Clueless British girl here. I've been awarded 24 advanced standing credits based on my A-Level results. THe credit as been posted to my IndianaU-Bloomington transcript (although I am not really planning on attending). What exactly are advanced standing credits?!

Take care,

Jen
xx

By Mackinaw (Mackinaw) on Thursday, February 26, 2004 - 10:48 am: Edit

This is very good news for you. I don't know the total number of credit-hours you need at IU, but if they're on a semester system it would be something like 120. So if you have received 24 advanced standing credits, you have been given the equivalent of something like a semester and a half of course credit that you do not have to complete on campus. In short, after one semester on campus you should have "sophomore" or second-year status.

Of course this will depend in part on the specific program requirements for the university, your college, and your major/concentration. But basically this is very good news and can also save you some money!

By H0neymoon (H0neymoon) on Thursday, February 26, 2004 - 04:19 pm: Edit

wicked! thanks.... I'm gonna have a tough decision to make in April I guess!

By Mackinaw (Mackinaw) on Thursday, February 26, 2004 - 04:54 pm: Edit

Best of luck to you. Where else are you hoping to be admitted? Do you already have acceptances other than from Indiana? (If you don't want to say, no problem!)

By H0neymoon (H0neymoon) on Thursday, February 26, 2004 - 05:16 pm: Edit

Yeh I'm accepted at Wisconsin Madison, and at my first choice, NYU, although for the GSP programme and I'd spend first year in Florence, Italy..... that's what's making me a bit unsure about it- what do you think?? Still waiting on USC, Boston and UCLA.

By Mackinaw (Mackinaw) on Thursday, February 26, 2004 - 06:21 pm: Edit

As you know, IU and UW will be a lot more like one another than either one will be to NYU. I attended UW for graduate work. I know many who attended or teach at UW, IU, and NYU. Several of my daughter's high school classmates attended NYU. One of my brothers attended USC (for graduate work); two other sibs attended UCLA.

Your intended major is? When you say Boston, is it Boston University or Boston College? I don't think much of BU. Bad faculty morale (lots of problems between faculty and administration), mostly mediocre programs compared to UW, IU, NYU, or UCLA.

Apart from academic criteria, clearly BC/BU, NYU, USC, and UCLA are in big urban places. The campus location of USC leaves something to be desired (i.e., surrounded by ghetto). LA itself is hard to get around in without a car. UCLA, however, has its own "neighborhood village," so to speak (and not a bad one at all), but to get to the beach or to get to downtown LA is quite a hike.

If you like the bucolic country life, but nonetheless with very strong academic programs across the range of majors from the sciences to humanities to social sciences, then UW is hard to beat (very cold winters, however). At UW, there is always some real politics and culture on scene, and you do have remote access to Chicago (140 mi. via bus). Madison is a quintessential college town -- lots of pubs, trendy shops, and good restaurants. Cosmopolitan, despite it location in the center of the "dairy state." Overall its programs are stronger than IU's, and about on a par with UCLA -- to compare the "state" schools in your list.

If you really want the urban life, then NYU and BU/BC will be better, I think, than either UCLA or USC. But your choice might depend on other factors including specific academic programs in which you're interested. NYU doesn't have much of a "campus," as such. It's more akin to attending, say, LSE (where my son spent a year of study abroad). But it's smack dab in the middle of Greenwich Village, and there is a lot going in the neighborhood, not to mention NYC as a whole which is readily accessible by public transportation. Academically, NYU has some very strong programs, and some others that are rapidly improving in the last few years. If you were to look back 10-15 years ago, and really even today, NYU doesn't have the quality of faculty overall of any of the state schools on your list (UCLA, UW, IU). Nonetheless, NYU is an attractive place. One of my daughter's friends majored in theatre; another in Latin-American Studies, and she was able to spend about a third of her time abroad, which is quite nice! (BTW/ my wife attended UW as an undergraduate and found its study abroad programs to be quite good and adaptable -- she spent her junior year in Aix-en-Provence.)

You will certainly have variety to choose from. Good luck to you!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page