I got disqualified

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: March 2004 Archive: I got disqualified
By Violentfemme (Violentfemme) on Thursday, February 26, 2004 - 02:52 am: Edit

from my nrotc scholarship. My "distant visual acuity was not correctable to 20/20." it was only correctable to 20/*25* what's up with that? i was only off by five and i get disqualified?! full tuition down the drain. this sucks.

do i hafta tell my colleges? i was kinda ridin on the fact that i'd have an advantage in the application process considering the college, esp. a private one, wouldn't hafta pay anything.

actually i do have a thread of hope. i might be selected to receive a waiver, which will allow me to keep the scholarship. i'm holding onto this thread with everything i got. any other recipients here?

By Mjl86 (Mjl86) on Thursday, February 26, 2004 - 09:21 am: Edit

how did they come up with the conclusion that your eyesight will not be 20/20

By Massdad (Massdad) on Thursday, February 26, 2004 - 09:29 am: Edit

Violentfemme, many years ago, in the pre-historic era, I was rejected for the same reason. I received a 4 year army ROTC scholarship instead. Frustrating, though.

By Iflyjets (Iflyjets) on Thursday, February 26, 2004 - 11:09 am: Edit

Is there any surgery that is allowable by NROTC rules to correct this acuity (unless you're trying for a pilot slot, then it may not be allowed)? I'm thinking some form of lasik or this type of procedure. This procedure in combination with lenses may make you correctable to 20/20. I realize the procedure may be expensive, but in the long run, it may be cost effective if you can keep your ROTC scholarship. Don't have any idea if this would work for you, but it's a thought. Good luck.

By Usna_Reject (Usna_Reject) on Thursday, February 26, 2004 - 12:38 pm: Edit

Hopefully you'll get that wavier. Unless you're going to be pilot they should give it to you. Most of those ROTC programs say you cannot get your vision corrected before you enter, I think they do the surgeries themselves once you're in service

By Jamimom (Jamimom) on Thursday, February 26, 2004 - 01:15 pm: Edit

Work on that waiver. I know many who get the waiver. Also you might want to retake that eye test. Good luck.

By Hoops450 (Hoops450) on Thursday, February 26, 2004 - 07:41 pm: Edit

DON'T have the Lasik surgery without clearing it with the Navy first!! That procedure is an automatic disqualifier for the USNA..No questions asked. Not sure why, but it is a definite NO, NO for Annapolis!

By Emperoriv (Emperoriv) on Thursday, February 26, 2004 - 11:15 pm: Edit

what's ROTC? I'm Canadian so do tell

By Excusememixed (Excusememixed) on Thursday, February 26, 2004 - 11:25 pm: Edit

Reserved Officers Training Corps

By Lamom (Lamom) on Friday, February 27, 2004 - 11:12 am: Edit

Friend's son is working on a waiver for academy. They went to another Dr who said she could correct to 20/20. They are waiting. Good Luck.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page