Call From Harvard

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: March 2004 Archive: Call From Harvard
By Sadeyedlady (Sadeyedlady) on Wednesday, February 25, 2004 - 05:07 pm: Edit

The dean of admissions from harvard called my guidance counselor and told her to rush the midyear report. my school is really slow in sending these, since there are about 800 seniors. my guidance counselor will send it out herself because usually the registrar's office does that. so anyway, does this call signify anything?

By Daggerlee (Daggerlee) on Wednesday, February 25, 2004 - 05:16 pm: Edit

was it the dean, or someone from the dean of admission's office? If it was Fitzsimmons himself, then yes it could mean something...

By Sadeyedlady (Sadeyedlady) on Wednesday, February 25, 2004 - 05:22 pm: Edit

She said "the dean called." I'll ask her for clarification.

By Northstarmom (Northstarmom) on Wednesday, February 25, 2004 - 05:23 pm: Edit

It probably means they are getting ready to read your file or the adcom was reading the file and really needs your midterm grades in order to see if you have a chance at H. Should there be further calls from Harvard to your GC, see it as a good sign that they are seriously considering admitting you.I seem to remember that your SATs were low for Harvard, so H may call your GC or do more examination of your grades than would occur in most regular admission situations.

By Sadeyedlady (Sadeyedlady) on Wednesday, February 25, 2004 - 05:28 pm: Edit

1510 is low for a black female at Harvard?

By Sadeyedlady (Sadeyedlady) on Wednesday, February 25, 2004 - 05:42 pm: Edit

in fact, isn't that higher than their average?

By Northstarmom (Northstarmom) on Wednesday, February 25, 2004 - 05:43 pm: Edit

Oh, sorry, I got you confused with someone else. You have obsessed so much about admissions on these boards that I keep thinking you have a low SAT.

Then, it simply means they're interested in you and are probably getting ready to review your file.

As I have stated many times, there are probably less than 100 black students in the country who have SAT scores over 1500, so such black students would have good shots at virtually any college in the country. Unless you have some major flaw in your application such as having had a felony, screamed curses at your teachers in class or been suspended for plagiarism, your chances are good anywhere.

By Sadeyedlady (Sadeyedlady) on Wednesday, February 25, 2004 - 05:55 pm: Edit

"Oh, sorry, I got you confused with someone else. You have obsessed so much about admissions on these boards that I keep thinking you have a low SAT."

You're still confusing me with someone else. I haven't posted a chance thread since August.

By Amethyst213 (Amethyst213) on Wednesday, February 25, 2004 - 05:57 pm: Edit

Just curious - where did you get that figure? I find it hard to believe that less than 100 black students in the whole country have SAT scores over 1500. I know of 2 at my own high school, and there are only 600 in my class.

By Daggerlee (Daggerlee) on Wednesday, February 25, 2004 - 06:12 pm: Edit

amethyst - it was mentioned in a Washington Post article. Last year, only 72 black students scored a 1500 or above on the SATs.

Sadeyedlady - then, if you're one of those 72, I would wager that Fitzsimmons himself called, and that I would increase Northstarmom's appraisal to virtually guaranteed admit, barring the things she mentioned from happening.

By S17 (S17) on Wednesday, February 25, 2004 - 07:25 pm: Edit

Yes, you can find the information in annual reports at the college board website.

By Northstarmom (Northstarmom) on Wednesday, February 25, 2004 - 07:35 pm: Edit

Sadeyes,
While possibly you haven't posted on chances since Aug., you have posted dozens of posts with very picky questions about your essays, activities, and general qualifications for the at least 12 colleges you've posted that you've applied to. The last such obsessive post was, I think,this month about whether you could still apply for Haverford even though you'd missed the deadline.

I honestly don't know why you're applying to so many colleges since there is so much evidence that you'd be a very strong candidate virtually anywhere. Seems I remember you're applying to: Harvard, Princeton, Yale, Amherst, Swarthmore, Haverford, Bryn Mawr, Smith, Wellesley, Georgetown, George Washington, University of Maryland.

My advice is to chill. Enjoy senior year. You're virtually certain to get some nice acceptances, so relax.

By Xiggi (Xiggi) on Wednesday, February 25, 2004 - 07:40 pm: Edit

S17~

I think that you can only find the average scores by ethnicity and the number of tests taken in a year.

I do not think that you can find the distribution of scores by ethnic groups, only the total numbers for all groups.

By Sadeyedlady (Sadeyedlady) on Wednesday, February 25, 2004 - 07:58 pm: Edit

I wouldn't call any of my concerns neither "picky" nor obsessive. It seems more "obsessive" that you've memorized (incorrectly) the list of colleges I've applied to, while conveniently forgetting I have a high SAT score.

You see, I don't go to a private school or a small public school or have a counselor who I can actually TALK to, so there's no other way to address my concerns. I am here because the last time I went to my "career center" I was given a lot of wrong information, so I have learned not to trust them. Why are you here? What's obsessive is that your son isn't even a senior but you regularly post here anyway.

My advice is to not read my posts if you feel they are overly picky and obsessive.

By Coureur (Coureur) on Wednesday, February 25, 2004 - 08:00 pm: Edit

Sadeyedlady -

Just curious: did you take your screen name from the Bob Dylan song?

By Sadeyedlady (Sadeyedlady) on Wednesday, February 25, 2004 - 08:10 pm: Edit

Yes, i used to listen to bob dylan a lot. I still do, but not as much.

I only started listening to him a few summers when I was in Nigeria and found my dad's old record collection.

By Northstarmom (Northstarmom) on Wednesday, February 25, 2004 - 08:19 pm: Edit

Sadeyed,
I just looked up some of your old posts, which is where I got the list of colleges from. Originally, you said your SAT scores were something like 1430 or so. You said you planned to retake the SAT, and were hoping to beat 1500.
I think that if you consider my history of replying to your posts, you'll remember that I have been a person who has gone out of my way to give you some difficult to obtain info about how your background, including being a URM, can impact how you do in admissions. I don't think that suggesting that you now enjoy the rest of senior year is reason for you to bite my head off.

By Sadeyedlady (Sadeyedlady) on Wednesday, February 25, 2004 - 08:26 pm: Edit

I didn't mean to be bite your head off, but I consider calling someone obsessive and picky rather rude and insulting.

Yes, I originally said my SAT score was 1430, because originally it WAS. I was hoping to beat a 1500 and I did.

By Obiwan (Obiwan) on Wednesday, February 25, 2004 - 08:45 pm: Edit

Message to Sadeyedlady: you've been on the edge several times and now you're getting a warning: dial back the attitude or you're gone.

Northstarmom is an alumni interviewer for a major college and is exceptionally well informed on issues regarding African-American students and college admissions.

Her participation on this site is voluntary but has been explicitly encouraged by the management of College Confidential. (As is the participation of several of the adult posters on this board who have come to the attention of management over time.)

For what it's worth, her assessment of the total body of your posts as "picky" and "obsessive" is a conclusion that many impartial observers might share. Food for thought.

--Moderator Obiwan

By Itsdakid2004 (Itsdakid2004) on Wednesday, February 25, 2004 - 08:48 pm: Edit

Sadeyedlady, relax. Northstarmom is probably THE most helpful poster on this entire board. Why is she here? Because she wants to help people like you who can't find help elsewhere. Being a Harvard interviewer, she probably has more accurate information (in terms of college admission), than 99% of the people here.

Your attack on Northstarmom was uncalled for. Ok, she called you obsessive, but that gives you no reason to basically tell her she doesnt belong. She has helped me and many other cc members, and her advice is greatly appreciated. Just chill, and hopefully i will see you at Harvard next year (if you so choose).

By Sadeyedlady (Sadeyedlady) on Wednesday, February 25, 2004 - 09:05 pm: Edit

Yeah, I know she's helpful, but I think she's insulted me more than helped me on this thread. My sister is an alumna interviewer for a prestigious college and isn't necessarily let in on the admissions secrets of that school.

"For what it's worth, her assessment of the total body of your posts as "picky" and "obsessive" is a conclusion that many impartial observers might share. Food for thought."

They might share it, but as long as they keep their opinion to themselves, I don't care. As I've explained I don't have any other guidance. Also, I'm really interested to know which ones are picky or obsessive.

Moderator: Why don't you warn her as well? Just because she's old and has more insight doesn't mean you shouldn't remain objective. You would probably warn me to "dial back" the attitude if I repeatedly called someone picky and obsessive, am I right? You didn't seem to mind "attitude" when she suggested I was on drugs after I posted one of my essays.

Isn't she welcome to not read and respond to my posts if she thinks they're too picky?

Well, I don't want to get banned so I'll conclude with an apology for suggesting she doesn't belong her, which she does.

By Emokidsunite (Emokidsunite) on Wednesday, February 25, 2004 - 09:20 pm: Edit

ah, i can't help but comment, but sadeyedlady, i really don't think northstarmom meant to offend you. in the same post where she made the "picky/obsessive" comment, she also basically told you that you've got great stats and you can get into anywhere. i'd love to be complimentd like that.

besides, being picky or obsessive isn't necessarily a bad thing. it shows you're actually concerned about your future, which is an admirable quality, when so many students these days are so apathetic when it comes to learning.

so yeah, i hope you two don't harbor any negative feelings towards each other. live and let live, i always say.

By S17 (S17) on Wednesday, February 25, 2004 - 10:13 pm: Edit

Xiggi,
It seems you are correct (as always). I scoured the website but could not find this information, although I swear I have seen it some time in the past. My bad.

By Sadeyedlady (Sadeyedlady) on Wednesday, February 25, 2004 - 10:33 pm: Edit

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/Default.aspx?id=3475092&p1=01%7C%7C%7C%

By Massdad (Massdad) on Wednesday, February 25, 2004 - 10:56 pm: Edit

Sadeyedlady,

Not to but in, but good luck with the process. Although I went through college admissions in the prehistoric days, I recognize through my D, who is also a senior, how stressful it is.

Obi and Northstarmom, If I were her, I would have been a little irritated at being confused with another student, too, especially when the point of confusion was the SAT score. I think kids have a right to be "obsessive" about details in their apps. And someone without good advising at school may be all the more sensitive. I realize I'm butting in, and there may be history here, but I think there is blame on both sides, just from the perspective of someone dropping in.

So, back to the original question: I would not read too much into the call. It is obvious that they want to see your senior grades for a reason. The only one I can think if is that your previous grades must have been a bit marginal, and they are looking for a solid trend?

By Sadeyedlady (Sadeyedlady) on Wednesday, February 25, 2004 - 11:10 pm: Edit

My grades are good. Maybe they wanted to see if I could handle the courseload (6 AP's). This semester was actually my worst(5 A's and 2 B's) but I'm taking the hardest classes I've taken.

I also moved during junior year, so there's only one year of classes at my current school. They said that people who moved should send a counselor report from the last school, which I refused to do, but they didn't mention it, so perhaps they've received school reports from other people applying from that school. (In fact, I know one girl from my last school who's applying).

By Massdad (Massdad) on Wednesday, February 25, 2004 - 11:46 pm: Edit

Sadeyedlady,

I think you've hit the reason - see how the course load is going at the new school. And, I would not sweat the grades. Without knowing the grading standards at your school, they sound fine for the load. How do you fit in so many courses, though? At my D's school, the max one can do is 6, and that is only if you do not do any AP science, which have the lab.

By Xiggi (Xiggi) on Wednesday, February 25, 2004 - 11:49 pm: Edit

S17~

I could have saved you the time and I am sorry for not being a bit more clear in my earlier post. I also read that TCB used to publish that information but ceased to do it a few years ago. There have been some reports of the ethnic distribution in books. It seems that some authors -like Tom Fischgrund- have received access to TCB historical data and have been allowed to leak certain numbers.

By Sadeyedlady (Sadeyedlady) on Wednesday, February 25, 2004 - 11:50 pm: Edit

We can take 8 classes, but we have block scheduling, so we'd have 1, 3, 5, 7, and 8th blocks one day (odd days) and 2, 4, 5, 6, 8, the next (even day). 5th and 8th periods are taken every day, with 5th being 45 min lunch, 45 min class. 8th is an elective class taken after school ends (2:10 - 3). I'm taking an 8th period but it's not worth mentioning because its related to sports and not a "real" class.

By Sadeyedlady (Sadeyedlady) on Wednesday, February 25, 2004 - 11:53 pm: Edit

oh the exception is ap bio, ap chemistry and ap physics, which take up 2 periods.

By Bern700 (Bern700) on Wednesday, February 25, 2004 - 11:56 pm: Edit

Bern, your posts on CC have always shown intelligence and moderation. The last one was very uncharacteristic and not worthy of you!
Moderator Trinity

By Sadeyedlady (Sadeyedlady) on Wednesday, February 25, 2004 - 11:58 pm: Edit

By Xiggi (Xiggi) on Thursday, February 26, 2004 - 12:00 am: Edit

Massdad~

You are indeed a kind person.

However, there are posters who demonstrate to NEED solid advice but hardly deserve it. I have little respect for posters who expect to be treated with sensitivity but show little respect and gratitude. One has to be able to understand the concept of giving and sharing before being able to appreciate it. Sad, indeed!

By Sadeyedlady (Sadeyedlady) on Thursday, February 26, 2004 - 12:05 am: Edit

Ha! Like I should show gratitude for being insulted. "Thank you, for calling me picky and obsessive. May I have some more?" Yeah, right.

I give and share all the advice I have. Unfortunately it's not much because of reasons stated above.

By Sadeyedlady (Sadeyedlady) on Thursday, February 26, 2004 - 12:08 am: Edit

Why ?

By Xiggi (Xiggi) on Thursday, February 26, 2004 - 12:14 am: Edit

Sadlady~

You should show some gratitude for all the help and advice you have sought and received. All you you show is attitude.

By Sadeyedlady (Sadeyedlady) on Thursday, February 26, 2004 - 12:19 am: Edit

As I said, I don't show gratitude for insults and rudeness. Call me human.

And why do my posts keep getting deleted? And Bern's? I have read the rules and there is nothing against specifying what race you are.

I have stated why Bern's post was deleted. You are correct that there is nothing against specifying YOUR race. Your last post went beyond that. I would highly suggest to pay closer attention to your recent warning!
Moderator Trinity

By Bern700 (Bern700) on Thursday, February 26, 2004 - 12:22 am: Edit

You had no right to censure and I would appreciate that it not be censured again because it is not rude, or distasteful.

Wrong!
Moderator Trinity

By Sadeyedlady (Sadeyedlady) on Thursday, February 26, 2004 - 12:28 am: Edit

yeah, bern, why do they keep on censoring our comments?

is it because they discuss race? that's not mentioned in the rules.

By Bern700 (Bern700) on Thursday, February 26, 2004 - 12:32 am: Edit

I don't know...I don't think its race because there are many posts concerning AA and other race issues.
In my post I stated an opinion about a respected person on this site and because my opinion did not match up with that of the moderators it was censored... [Insert sarcasm]I guess we all have to have the same opinion about everything. Maybe CC is just trying to create a perfect world...

Bern, I deleted your posts because your post was offensive, in the eyes of THIS moderator.
Moderator Trinity

By Sadeyedlady (Sadeyedlady) on Thursday, February 26, 2004 - 12:38 am: Edit

The moderator says that there's nothing wrong with specifying MY race, but my last post went beyond that. I'm assuming then, it was deleted because I specified northstarmom's race as well...that doesn't make a lot of sense because everyone who's read her post knows her race and she's said it many times.

They didn't have the delete the part were you said alumna interviewers don't get any insider information on the admissions process.

By Bern700 (Bern700) on Thursday, February 26, 2004 - 12:38 am: Edit

why was my post edited AGAIN...I used no foul language or was not rude...I stated my opinion about how an interviewer really doesn't have any inside info on admissions and I stated that northstarmom had a history, IMO, of being racist on this site. I stated the example that she called Serdu, a hispanic who got into harvard ea, a "admission's trophy collector" because he had also applied to yale in order to compare fin aid packages. I did this all in a respectful way.

MODERATORS: I understand that you have the right to edit posts that are offensive but just because northstarmom is considered an "admissions goddess" that doesn't give you the right to edit a post in which I state my opinion...I said she was racist, I said it in a respectful and tasteful way...My comments were no harsher than her comments to sadeyedlady. I have the right to state my opinion and you have the right to censure it only if I harshly, rudely, and distastefully attack someone. I really don't appreciate the "advantage" that you give northstarmom in giving her opinion and censuring mine. I don't care if you censure other people's harsh, rude, and nasty comments...but what gives you the right to censure my opinion that was stated respectfully?

I WONT PUT DOWN MY ORIGINAL POST AGAIN, IF THAT'S WHAT YOU WANT, BUT WHY DID YOU EDIT THIS OUT TOO? AND SADEYEDLADY CAN VOUCH FOR ME IN THAT MY COMMENTS WERE NOT RUDE,HARSH, OR DISRESPECTFUL.

Bern, since you are so adamant to see your opinion posted for posterity, I will let your last post go unedited. I do consider calling another poster a "racist" to be highly disrespectful, harsh, and rude. I also regret that you fail to realize how offensive it really is, in addition to be entirely uncalled for.

By Bern700 (Bern700) on Thursday, February 26, 2004 - 12:41 am: Edit

double post

By Sadeyedlady (Sadeyedlady) on Thursday, February 26, 2004 - 12:45 am: Edit

It should really be specified what kind of "rudeness" is acceptable.

For example, am I allowed to say someone's essay is so bad they must have been on drugs when they wrote it?

By Bern700 (Bern700) on Thursday, February 26, 2004 - 12:55 am: Edit

thank you trinity for leaving that post...I appreciate it.

By Sadeyedlady (Sadeyedlady) on Thursday, February 26, 2004 - 01:14 am: Edit

Now I get it..you're allowed to call someone racist, you're allowed to say someone's essay is so bad they must have been on drugs when they wrote it, but you're NOT allowed to suggest that if someone finds your posts picky and obsessive, you'd rather they didn't respond?

Well, that's all cleared up.

Thanks for fair and impartial judgement moderators!

By Dylan (Dylan) on Thursday, February 26, 2004 - 02:42 am: Edit

Oh, quit it with the righteous indignation. Your rights were not infringed quite simply because, on this board, -you- -have- -no- -rights-. CollegeConfidential pays for the bandwidth. CollegeConfidential pays for the server. CollegeConfidential hosts the board (upon which they let you post freely with minimal moderation, believe it or not). You play by their rules, or you don't play at all.

And yes, calling someone a racist is uncalled for. Trinity--well done.

By Sadeyedlady (Sadeyedlady) on Thursday, February 26, 2004 - 02:58 am: Edit

>>>You play by their rules, or you don't play at all.

Exactly my point. And these (should) apply to everyone, without exception.

On an unrelated note..im curious..do any of the moderators own collegeconfidential or are just hired to moderate?

By Obiwan (Obiwan) on Thursday, February 26, 2004 - 03:05 am: Edit

Bern700 and Sadeyedlady: This is a final warning: drop it. Do not continue the argument. Do not even respond to this post. One word and you're gone. I can't make it any clearer. To make it easier for you, I am also closing this thread. Your posts have now been brought to the attention of the entire Moderator staff. Think carefully before you post anywhere else.

Bern700: your characterization of Northstarmom as racist is at odds with her documented advice to dozens of students. Mocking her as an "admissions goddess" is offensively disrespectful to one of the most generous and helpful members of this board. We will not tolerate this. Finally, do not EVER argue with a moderator again. That alone is an offense that may result in banning. If you have a complaint, you may contact the College Confidential staff by e-mail.

Sadeyedlady: Being called "picky" and "obsessive" may be blunt but it is not an insult. If you're going to be as opinionated as you are, be prepared to take some heat. I have read your posts in a number of threads and you appear to be routinely truculent with a chip on your shoulder. This is a bad combination with being thin-skinned. There were other threads where I nearly gave you a warning and decided to let it slide. If this is your natural style and something you prefer, I invite you to visit other message boards that are tolerant of an anything goes approach.

At this moment, I am not going to suspend your posting privileges. You might want to think about taking off for 48 hours to settle down.

--Moderator Obiwan

By Sheeprun (Sheeprun) on Thursday, February 26, 2004 - 11:10 am: Edit

Sadeyedlady,
Have you no shame? Re-registering time after time and coming back time after time with the same offensive attitude. If you changed your attitude, you might actually get to remain on College Confidential for a while---with just ONE name!

Banned again!

Sheeprun
<moderator>

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page