UMCP Waitlist....

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: March 2004 Archive: UMCP Waitlist....
By Synapse (Synapse) on Monday, February 23, 2004 - 05:53 pm: Edit

hey guys I desperately need some help. I just got back my decision and I was Waitlisted. I'm starting to freak out now. What are the stats at maryland if you are waitlisted?

My Stats

1240 Sats
NY out of state
92 weighted
8 aps, 10 honors classes
good essay, good recs,
president of a few clubs
AP Grades=5 Us history, 4 statistics, 2 chemistry

Midyear Report:

AP Psych B
AP English A-
AP Government A-
AP Biology A-
AP Art History A+
P.E. A

Should I stay on the waitlist? Do I have a decent shot? What else Should I send in that Would improve my chances? Should I send in my AP Grades?

By Lj2233 (Lj2233) on Monday, February 23, 2004 - 06:11 pm: Edit

i'm surprised you didn't get in the first round. definitely send them a letter saying that it's your first choice... i know lots of people who got in who have no plans AT ALL to attend. also send in any updates or whatever to your transcript... good luck!

By Angstridden (Angstridden) on Monday, February 23, 2004 - 06:49 pm: Edit

I have a piece of paper from 2002 on waitlists and back then they waitlisted 1,626 but it says under admitted from waitlist N/A so I dont know how many get in.
I do know lots apply with no intent of going there so you very likely may get in.

By Baltodad (Baltodad) on Monday, February 23, 2004 - 06:59 pm: Edit

Wouldn't hurt to call the admissions office and ask how many waitlist candidates they admited last year.

From your stats, I'd say you have a good chance of making it.

Good luck!

By Synapse (Synapse) on Monday, February 23, 2004 - 07:09 pm: Edit

I'm going to send them my AP Grades, I'm going to resend out my midyear grades if they did not get them. What kind of letter should i write to show my interest towards attending Maryland? Is there anything else I should send?

By Baltodad (Baltodad) on Monday, February 23, 2004 - 07:38 pm: Edit

A letter of support from your favorite teacher or your college counselor wouldn't hurt. Kinda like a rec, but free-form and written with the explicit intent of getting you admitted off the waitlist. You shouldn't be shy about specifying what you want them to say in the letter (e.g. that you're really psyched to get into UMCP).

By Crazyandy (Crazyandy) on Monday, February 23, 2004 - 07:54 pm: Edit

Hey I got waitlisted too. ACT of 28, 3.9 GPA, average ECs, 250+ volunteer hours, many academic and music state and local awards. Out of State engineering major. I declined the waitlist for these simple reasons: My fam can't support me financially at UMD its just too expensive for us, its 5 hours away from my home and i'd like to stay closer, and I've gotten into other highly selective out of state engineering schools that are ranked higher (cliche i know) and whose campuses I have enjoyed just as much if not more. UMD is an excellent school which is a lot more selective than i ever dreamed, so I'm thankful I didn't get rejected. Good luck to those who get in.

By I1lmatics (I1lmatics) on Monday, February 23, 2004 - 08:10 pm: Edit

umd does not require mid year reports correct?

By I1lmatics (I1lmatics) on Monday, February 23, 2004 - 08:11 pm: Edit

umd does not require mid year reports from those of us already accepted correct?

By Woogiewilly25 (Woogiewilly25) on Monday, February 23, 2004 - 08:14 pm: Edit

nope, dont require them. I got in with a 1250, 3.3 unweighted, approx a 3.5ish weighted....2 amazing recs, and one good one from guidance....good amount of ECs including lax an field hocey...pres of 2 clubs....played an instrument all 4 yrs of hs...

however i have to say my essay is prob what pushed me over...my dad passed away when i was 16 and i wrote a really good essay on it....

id say go for waitlist...u have a good shot.

By I1lmatics (I1lmatics) on Monday, February 23, 2004 - 09:01 pm: Edit

yeah probably.. umd seems unusally personal for a large school in their application review

i read somewhere that 20% of the applicant pool is admitted/rejected immediatly... the other 80% pass through a comittee of like 6 or 8 members who read each application personally before coming to a descion

By Synapse (Synapse) on Tuesday, February 24, 2004 - 12:04 am: Edit

Where do You plan on going, CrazyAndy?

By Crazyandy (Crazyandy) on Tuesday, February 24, 2004 - 07:17 am: Edit

hmm good question lol. I'm down to West Virginia Univ, U of Pittsburgh, and Ohio State. I liked WVU the best, parents and I liked Pitt as well, and OSU is the cheapest. If I had to pick today, I'd pick Pitt ... but we'll have to see as the finaid starts to roll in later on.

What other schools are you lookin at, synapse?

By Synapse (Synapse) on Tuesday, February 24, 2004 - 09:12 pm: Edit

I got into Suny Albany and Suny Buffalo so far... I think I might get into Maryland(Hopefully), Syracuse, maybe Binghamton and I'm hoping for Hamilton which is my first choice. I don't think I will get into NYU or BU but it was worth a try. My parents would rather have me go to a state school and then save the money for law school because we are not getting any aid at all and they will most likely have to cover the whole bill. Im trying for scholarships but it wont cover a major portion of the cost.

Furthermore my dad has certain political connections. If I went to law school I could work in his law firm (hes a partner) in NYC or he knows state senators and representatives in albany due to his job so I could work for the legislature. So my parents want me to stay in Ny but if i get into maryland i might go.

By Crazyandy (Crazyandy) on Wednesday, February 25, 2004 - 03:33 pm: Edit

I'm in a similar situation as you Synapse. My parents are pushin the cheaper state schools (esp Ohio State). I plan on going to grad school for my masters in engineering and my MBA (i see lots of schools have this program now) so I figure i'll stay cheap and local for undergrad, and think farther away from home in another 3 years once I get undergrad well underway. Plus, I'll be co-oping for engineering so its not like I'll be stuck in PA or OH all 4-5 years. I plan on moving away to work.

By Chrisd (Chrisd) on Wednesday, February 25, 2004 - 08:05 pm: Edit

Ohio State has a great wide network of alumni, so you would have good connections to go other places from there. Some OSU eng. students are able to get internships/co-ops for the summer after their freshman year. There's some sort of scholarship or plan that Ford sponsors at OSU that I think may combine business and eng. And of course, there's TBDBITL :)

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page