Deferries...What have you done to boost your application?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: March 2004 Archive: Deferries...What have you done to boost your application?
By Jolt21 (Jolt21) on Sunday, February 22, 2004 - 11:14 am: Edit

I got deferred from Brown University ED...since then, my GPA went up, i jumped up 14 spots in class rank to get into the top 5%, i have retaken the ACT and went from a 30 to a 35 (!!), got another letter of recommendation, and im thinking about writing another essay..you think this african-american has a chance? what have you done?

By Vulcano (Vulcano) on Sunday, February 22, 2004 - 11:25 am: Edit

Yes, you have a much better chance now. Tell them about this before they make a decision.

By Jolt21 (Jolt21) on Sunday, February 22, 2004 - 11:27 am: Edit

yea, i sent them my act scores and my mid year which has all that info, and my essay is actually going to be about the college admissions process, my deferral, and blah blah...anyone do anyhting that should help them?

By Cu2007 (Cu2007) on Sunday, February 22, 2004 - 12:28 pm: Edit

First, when I was reading your post, I wasn't sure of it. However, if you are african-american, you are in... (esp. with 35 in ACT good job...)

Just be sure to add another essay...

Good luck!!!

I would say you have more than 90% chance to get in now...

By Excusememixed (Excusememixed) on Sunday, February 22, 2004 - 03:37 pm: Edit

For NEU, I raised my SAT score up to an 1150, sent two-detailed letters of recommendation, and won some awards for FBLA. I got deferred as an Express Applicant. Do you guys/gals think I should send in another essay?

By Haruko (Haruko) on Sunday, February 22, 2004 - 06:05 pm: Edit

wow that's a great improvement. jolt, tail them with everything you've got.

By Jolt21 (Jolt21) on Sunday, February 22, 2004 - 08:56 pm: Edit

thnx everyone...

excuse me, another essay would be great, but make sure it is AMAZING

By Caliel130 (Caliel130) on Monday, February 23, 2004 - 04:19 pm: Edit

I was deferred from Cornell ED. I raised my test scores by about 50 pts, got an additional rec, joined NHS, and may have gone up in class rank...

By Crnchycereal (Crnchycereal) on Monday, February 23, 2004 - 05:06 pm: Edit

Deferred Yale EA. My GC wrote another letter, as did I, re-emphasizing my desire to attend and informing them of some of the recent awards, honors, and scholarships I've gotten this year. First semester grades were also great, so my GPA should've gone up (already ranked #1). Nothing else to do at this point aside from try to get some more awards to call in about.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page