Looking bad with a 3 on AP exam?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: March 2004 Archive: Looking bad with a 3 on AP exam?
By Lovetheriver (Lovetheriver) on Saturday, February 21, 2004 - 12:11 am: Edit

i got a 3 on one exam and i put it on my college apps. it doesn't really correspond with my grades (i got an A). will this bring me down like a ton of bricks?

By Amylase (Amylase) on Saturday, February 21, 2004 - 12:21 am: Edit

I got a 3 on U.S. government & politics, but i'm international

By Araesova (Araesova) on Saturday, February 21, 2004 - 02:34 am: Edit

im in the same situation... what I have heard is that even by taking the AP exam looks good in the eyes of adcoms. However, these opinions came from my AP teachers who really wanted me to take the AP test...so I do not exactly what adcoms like to see. But definitely, it is not good to take an AP course and not take the AP exam, so I think if you got a 3 it would look pretty good on your app, not as good as a 4 or 5 definitely (Which i have never received and I have a 4.35 gpa with 9 AP's...eh wutever) hope this helps

By Cheerios128 (Cheerios128) on Sunday, February 22, 2004 - 02:13 am: Edit

um. 3s don't correspond w/ As. They might suspect grade inflation. My only 3 came from a course that i self-studied for.

By Araesova (Araesova) on Sunday, February 22, 2004 - 04:21 am: Edit

cheerios, not true, I've received an A in every AP course I have taken but I have never received higher than a 3. I guess it's just test taking or something...I don't know. But one thing is for sure, I DO know the course material extremely well. Students who got a B in the class got 4's or 5's...So there is no definite answer as to how accurate an AP test is to your knowledge of the subject, or the grade you receive in a class.

By Jenniferpa (Jenniferpa) on Sunday, February 22, 2004 - 07:25 am: Edit

The other problem with AP exams is not grade inflation per se, but how well the teacher teaches to the course. DD's AP Eng Lang teacher failed to mention to any of them until 3 weeks before the test that they would be expected to use and identify appropriate literary terms! All those essays all year and she "forgot" to mention it! Not a new teacher either. I think adcoms are aware of the variability aspect, so I don't think it will necessarily bring you down.

By Matth (Matth) on Sunday, February 22, 2004 - 08:25 am: Edit

The problem with getting a 3 is that you won't get credit for it at most selective colleges, where you'll need a 4 or 5.

By Nyapplicant (Nyapplicant) on Sunday, February 22, 2004 - 12:26 pm: Edit

heh what about 2's? in 10th grade i took ap euro and ap comp sci and got 2's in both, with a b in euro and an a in comp sci. However i was a huge slacker (my gpa jumped a full point from that year to jr year) so hopefully they'll see the trend.

By Thermodude (Thermodude) on Monday, February 23, 2004 - 10:10 pm: Edit

I was wondering as well...say an individual takes an AP test and doesn't score very well....is it mandatory that that person put that poor AP score on their college resume....or can they just decide to opt it out?

By Candi1657 (Candi1657) on Monday, February 23, 2004 - 10:23 pm: Edit

You don't have to put down these scores, they are strictly self-reported.

By Mulan (Mulan) on Tuesday, February 24, 2004 - 12:26 am: Edit

I've never gotten a 5, but i've gotten all As except for a B+ in one semester of Euro History. I put them down on my apps. i still got in ea. it's ok, try your best, we can't all win everything.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page