Which would YOU pick ????

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: March 2004 Archive: Which would YOU pick ????
By Angstridden (Angstridden) on Friday, February 20, 2004 - 09:54 pm: Edit

Ok D. is deferred from UNC and just got in UMDCP honors. She loves both schools. I think she liked the size of UNC a bit better. But UMDCP is closer to home and less pricey.
So pretend she gets in UNC regular program and UMDCP Honors.
And she likes them both and cant quite make up her mind.
Which would you choose? Why?

By Sac (Sac) on Friday, February 20, 2004 - 10:02 pm: Edit

Congratulations to your daughter! I'd take a close look at the perks that go with the honors program, and find out from students in it whether the university honors what it advertises. Usually there is supposed to be an advantage in registration, sometimes special classes, sometimes special housing or housing guaranteed for longer. Is there some kind of assigned faculty member or better advising (advising being one of the weakest links in most public universities)? Does being an honors student provide a kind of instant social niche (I noticed on the UCLA regents scholarship site, for example, that the regents scholars hold dances, bowling nights, have even rented a beach house -- a big plus at such a huge school -- not to mention that there it confers oncampus parking!). If the perks as an honors student really are good, I'd certainly weigh it heavily, especially since she loves the school, it's closer to home AND less expensive.

By Lovetheriver (Lovetheriver) on Friday, February 20, 2004 - 10:05 pm: Edit

being in honors puts you above the crowd, whereas if she goes to unc, she'll be treated like everyone else. yea so i agree, you get benefits from honors, plus UMDCP is a pretty good college, though i am not too familiar with it. however, UNC does seem to be more prestigious, but again, i'm not too familiar with it.

o well, that's whati have to say

By Angstridden (Angstridden) on Friday, February 20, 2004 - 11:31 pm: Edit

Yes I did read where honors students get a special advisor with a direct line. They also get housed together...but I dont know what the housing is like.
There is a prestige factor with UNC though as its the ivy public school just thinking about what we might get faced with.

By Ozmaweez7 (Ozmaweez7) on Friday, February 20, 2004 - 11:49 pm: Edit

I'm in a similar situation but with the UMD Scholars Program and U of Michigan. i really love michigan, yet the thing getting me is that not only am i in this special program, but also in the business school as a freshman. whereas, at michigan, i have to apply to the b school at the end of my sophomore year, which happens to be very competitive. it was so much easier yesterday when i thought i wouldnt consider anything i was accepted to besides michigan

of course if I get into UVa (ED-deferred) or Penn in april the decision is much easier

By Anthony (Anthony) on Saturday, February 21, 2004 - 12:23 am: Edit

You can't go wrong with either of them, but personally I'd go with UNC, unless there was scholarship money to go along with the honors program at UMD.

By Angstridden (Angstridden) on Saturday, February 21, 2004 - 08:24 am: Edit

Hey Ozma..I think UMD and Uof Mich are pretty equal..
UMD is gaining a better rep all the time.
HOWEVER if you liked Mich more than MD I doubt if its a big deal to apply to the business school at the end of your soph year. IT would just be a matter of having the right grades
BTW HOW DO YOU KNOW YOU ARE IN THE BUSINESS SCHOOL at MD? Did you get your letter..
our email just said Accepted Honors?
So how did you find out which school.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page