Do colleges see all of your SAT scores?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: March 2004 Archive: Do colleges see all of your SAT scores?
By Pianoman (Pianoman) on Friday, February 20, 2004 - 09:34 pm: Edit

Do colleges see ALL of your SAT scores? I'm thinking of taking it this year (sophomore), but if i don't do as well as I expected, can a better score later on overshadow any past scores?

By Matth (Matth) on Friday, February 20, 2004 - 09:36 pm: Edit

Most schools take the best composite score for SAT's so it shouldn't be a problem.

By Pianoman (Pianoman) on Friday, February 20, 2004 - 09:42 pm: Edit

Does anybody know if Case Western takes highest composite or not? I couldn't find it on their web site.

By Dimples247 (Dimples247) on Friday, February 20, 2004 - 09:43 pm: Edit

Yes- score reports always include all of your scores. You can look at collegeboard.com for details. You might be better off just taking a practice test- some schools and prep courses offer them or you could buy a book and do it yourself.

By Oceanblue52 (Oceanblue52) on Friday, February 20, 2004 - 09:44 pm: Edit

You might want to wait to take it. Not because colleges will see your grades...but since you're also going to have to take the new SAT, it might be a problem converting your Math and Writing scores. I'm not familiar with the changes that will be made, but if its not going to convert, you might want to save your money.

By Princetonrevu (Princetonrevu) on Friday, February 20, 2004 - 11:04 pm: Edit

I know all about the New SAT. It's my job. Whaddya want to know?

Tip: sophomores, oceanblue52 is right... schools are going to want to see New SAT scores. The new SAT is being administered beginning in March 2005. Your best bet is to get ready for the new test... not take two different versions. Plus, you won't have to worry about those pesky analogies at all.

BUT, to answer the general question, yes. Colleges DO see ALL your SAT scores from 9th-12th grade. Any official SAT's you've taken in that time period will show up on your transcript, nothing you can do about it.

What else?

By Pianoman (Pianoman) on Friday, February 20, 2004 - 11:27 pm: Edit

Pricetonrevu: how should I prepare for the new test? There aren't any new prep books out there, right?

By Princetonrevu (Princetonrevu) on Saturday, February 21, 2004 - 12:12 am: Edit

Not yet. Except as part of our course that starts this summer (the catch, right? :)). We've created entirely different prep courses (based on our same methods, of course) for the Class of 2006. I have to tell you, we're the only ones doing that. It's kind of like a monopoly right now, which we feel as a huge responsibility to make sure we help people do this new test right. It's important to us-- we want to help you kick ETS's butt. That's our job.

So, here's what you can do. Starting this summer (June), we'll have online courses, classroom courses, and tutoring based on the new test. We'll have a book of 11 practice tests based on the new test format. No one else will have that. We're putting all our resources into this right now.

The new test is good news for us-- they're basically tacking on the SAT II Writing test to the SAT I. Our typical score improvement with students on the SAT II Writing test is higher than anything else we do. It's easy to prepare for-- all about style. Take a look at our website and see if there are any practice tests in your area-- we're offering them right now. Where do you live?

By Xiggi (Xiggi) on Saturday, February 21, 2004 - 04:55 pm: Edit

Pluzzze!

By the end of the Spring of 2004, there will be a deluge of information and books about the New PSAT and new SAT. All companies have access to the same information and have to depend on the same source: it is called ETS. For the past months, ETS and The College Board have been distributing information to the counselors and schools.

How about the book of 11 tests and the "No one else will have that." You are indeed correct that only PR will have Princeton's book of 11 test. But does that mean anything? LOTS of publishers will have their own versions and will all share the same drawbacks of lacking and approximate contents. Princeton can SPECULATE in the same manner as any other INDEPENDENT company but cannot claim to have access to privileged information. If the existing Princeton tests are any indication, they will provide a good introduction but will not reach the level of the tests that WILL be disclosed by ETS. ETS/TCB are advertising that they will release a new version of the Real SAT tests based on the new format. My recommendation is the same as ever: ignore all synthetic test and ONLY use the TCB/ETS tests.

We appreciate your comments but I believe that you'll find that the members of this board are very well aware of the changes in the SAT. We tend to check the TCB website for information for verifiable information and sprinkle the information by commercial companies with the proverbial grain of salt.

X

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page