My remedy for THE wait for admission notifications

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: March 2004 Archive: My remedy for THE wait for admission notifications
By Araesova (Araesova) on Friday, February 20, 2004 - 03:18 am: Edit

ok, me one month ago...OMG!!! I need to find out if I got into Berkeley!!! OMG!!! I can't wait!!!...ok, me now....eh, if i get into berkeley, i get in, big deal. What happened to me? Why the sudden change? well for some reason i underwent this strange change, as if I dont care anymore...I think I know why. Now, when I look at a college, instead of saying, I NEED TO GO THERE! I say, it would be nice if I go there. What I think now when I see a school is if I get in, it would be a sort of gift to me. It's like I wiped the slate clean, and I never applied to colleges. But the colleges that really want me will write to me and this way, I won't have a stroke if I get rejected...Ok, u may think im wierd, but for some reason this works for me. Just try it, i know some of you are going crazy right now, but just try easing up. You getting more nervous is NOT going to change the College's decision. What happens, happens. Hope this helps, its not really something special, just something that worked for me. Give me some feedback on what u think...yes, i will accept "YOUR WIERD" posts lol.

By Bwawn (Bwawn) on Friday, February 20, 2004 - 04:06 am: Edit

It's posts like these that make me wish I knew more about philosophy. Oh well, might as well pick up some books...

I think you're on to something, but often I enjoy thinking this way about any number of things. Live life for the moment, not for what may come. Enjoy what you have now, don't hold off on everything to make sure it works with the future. Do you NEED to go to college? No, some of the most successful people in the world never attended, or didn't finish, college. It's, like you said, a nice gift if we get accepted where we'd like to go. It's not like we're going to be unsuccessful and unintelligent if we don't get in anyway.

Make of the college search what you will, but remember, it's not the world at stake. Also, keep in mind that people change. I originally wanted to go to one school under a science major, and decided, since I didn't get in, to attend community college instead. I now have a completely different approach and a completely different interest in universities. I have absolutely no interest in science anymore but am in love with the liberal arts. If you're spiritual, it could be that you were rejected from a school because it's not the path you're supposed to take in life. If you're not spiritual, take it as a hint that maybe you should explore other avenues. There's an entire world of opportunities wide open to you -- just listen to the freakin' cliche and take it to heart!

This is my advice from the post-high school admissions, currently in transfer admissions standpoint. I hope I've helped a bit too.

By Nop86 (Nop86) on Friday, February 20, 2004 - 07:31 am: Edit

this is not really related to what you're saying..but it's weird not wierd. i used to spell it as wierd too..so it just bites me now. hehe.:)

By Matth (Matth) on Friday, February 20, 2004 - 08:27 am: Edit

Not only is weird not wierd but you're is not your in that context. :)

By Araesova (Araesova) on Friday, February 20, 2004 - 06:39 pm: Edit

ok, if this was an essay I would look for grammatical errors. :)

thnx for the responses anyway

By Admitmeplz (Admitmeplz) on Friday, February 20, 2004 - 07:18 pm: Edit

Bwawn if you're interested in philosophy and how to be truly happy check out Alain de Botton's book The Consolations of Philosophy

Best book I have ever read

By Slayer (Slayer) on Friday, February 20, 2004 - 07:35 pm: Edit

Araesova, I like your idea. You're right. It's not going to do any good me freaking out about it and worrying every day WILL I GET IN?! I guess this next month will go faster if I don't dwell on next month every moment of the day! Bwawn, I really enjyoed your post. I think I needed to hear that, especially today. So thanks :)

have a great day!

By Aim78 (Aim78) on Saturday, February 21, 2004 - 02:00 am: Edit

I could probably not go to college and be a mailman instead, and still be the happiest guy in the world.

By Slayer (Slayer) on Saturday, February 21, 2004 - 08:32 am: Edit

my mailman went to college. :) he's fun. he knows everyone in my neighborhood by name, and our dogs name and gives them bones every day. he's a happy guy

By Najy (Najy) on Saturday, February 21, 2004 - 01:21 pm: Edit

im kind of the same...my first acceptance it was like, "wow, this is great, im really happy". The second time place i was accepted, it was more of a "good". Now, waiting to hear back from 4 more, I feel indifferent. I think its good to stay this way because I'm sure I'll get excited again once I decide where I'm going.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page