Proving Claims on Applications

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: February 2003 Archive: Proving Claims on Applications
By Mattymatt (Mattymatt) on Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 12:21 pm: Edit

I know that California state schools are now randomly selecting students to prove their EC's and awards. My question is if they are the only ones to do so. Becuase if they are than what is to stop me from listing 5 fallacious EC's that now that I think about it, I was an officer in, or for that matter just randomly declaring awards. If only University of Califoronia schools check for the truth, than I'm sure many students have done this and suceeded.

By NO!!! on Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 01:32 pm: Edit

PEOPLE WHO DO SO ARE LOSERs AND ARE RUINING IT FOR THE REST OF US!!! Some schools (Yale, for example) have been known to find out about fake or even exaggerated ecs. Here's what usually happens: an admissions officer will contact the school, read the school report, or another student from the school for a random reason. The word will eventually get out. (Example: student fakes a sport and an academic award. Admissions officer reads the school report becuase it's the first applicant from the school. The officer finds out that only intramural sports are offered and the school doesn't given academic awards as a way of discouraging competition. The ecs are proved false.) Or, awkward conversations can ensue if you get in and they send you reps from their model UN club and all you know about model UN is that you faked it on your transcript. DON"T DO IT... it's just not worth it.

By Mattymatt (Mattymatt) on Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 08:48 pm: Edit

but Yale is one of the most selective school's in the nation, let's say for example you apply to a larger school that does not look far beyond standardized scoring, such as nyu or bu. How can they really tell whethere or not you were actually in a club or partaked in that speific community service event, granted they do exsit in your school and neighbor. I'm not saying I would ever do this becasue I wouldn't. But I can't speak for the other 30,000 applicants.
Just a thought to ponder with..

By coolcat on Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 09:08 pm: Edit

hey, mattymatt, nyu only cares about your nyu scores...

By yce16 on Tuesday, February 11, 2003 - 02:11 am: Edit

umm, honestly?

basically, if you get into a competitive college without being a competitive candidate, you will screw up and you can say goodbye to a grad school.

secondly if you get caught...well, colleges are like chinese mothers...everybody gets to know.

thirdly, it's such a desperate and sick thing to do, cheating other people and the institution u'll be going to for 4 years. i don't understand people who can do that and then get accepted without feeling like a prick.

By Mattymatt (Mattymatt) on Tuesday, February 11, 2003 - 10:54 pm: Edit

I am in agreement with you by all means, however I was just posing that question that people must do it, and the number of those who do is probally larger than we can handle. It is such an easy thing to get away with. And as for your argument about screwing up in college, I have to disagree with you on that. Community Service and EC's do not reflect how you will do in college nor how you will succeed in life. In my opinion they are stupid to base the fate of an applicant upon, but they are necessary when taking into consideration the overwhelming high achieving applicants of today.

By !! on Thursday, February 13, 2003 - 08:46 pm: Edit

chinese mothers? way to stereotype.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page