How hard is AP US History?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: March 2004 Archive: How hard is AP US History?
By Tunis (Tunis) on Thursday, February 19, 2004 - 03:30 pm: Edit

Just wondering!

By Annami (Annami) on Thursday, February 19, 2004 - 03:42 pm: Edit

The difficulty of the class depends on your school. However the test itself fairly easy.

By Oceanblue52 (Oceanblue52) on Thursday, February 19, 2004 - 06:05 pm: Edit

It can be pretty rigorous at times, but at least a lot of it is familiar (names and places). The test isnt too bad, although the three essays are difficult in the amount of info you have to cram in.

By Linguae (Linguae) on Thursday, February 19, 2004 - 10:24 pm: Edit

Hmmm, it depends on the school and the teacher. I attend an independent study charter school, and I'm currently taking APUSH. My class is mostly reading (I use American Pageant and Zinn's book), outlining, and the occasional essay and/or response questions. The toughest part of my class is the outlining (no lecture, hence outlining; that's how most of my classes work), but overall it's an interesting class, IMO. If you're good at your other history classes, you should do pretty good in this one.

As for the test, I haven't taken it yet, so I don't really have much to say about the difficulty of it.

By Kishi (Kishi) on Thursday, February 19, 2004 - 10:29 pm: Edit

Last year 11% of AP US test takers got a 5. That was one of the lowest percentages.

By Alv (Alv) on Thursday, February 19, 2004 - 11:38 pm: Edit

I thought it was really easy. (I got a 5)

By Winterfresh (Winterfresh) on Friday, February 20, 2004 - 12:14 pm: Edit

My class is extremely easy. There's no reason to get less than a B in my class. My teacher is great and only gives homework maybe twice a week. We read 20 pages, take notes then have a quiz on what we read.

By Lj2233 (Lj2233) on Friday, February 20, 2004 - 12:17 pm: Edit

I took it just for grins last year and got a 5; the only US History class I took was Honors US Hist in 9th grade... it's not a hard test.

By Sammgc68 (Sammgc68) on Friday, February 20, 2004 - 03:03 pm: Edit

Depends when you take it. I only got a 4, but I tookit in 9th, so it makes sense :p

By Whaaasssaaa (Whaaasssaaa) on Friday, February 20, 2004 - 04:19 pm: Edit

US history is easy as pie, but my teacher was fantastic. i got an A both semesters, 5 on the AP, and 790 on the SAT II. but good or bad teacher, it shouldnt be that hard.

By Tosg (Tosg) on Friday, February 20, 2004 - 04:44 pm: Edit

At my school, it's one of the hardest classes.

I don't really think there's a standard - it varies from school to school.

By Wdlynn (Wdlynn) on Friday, February 20, 2004 - 05:37 pm: Edit

At my school it IS the hardest class. If you do the work, there's about two to three hours of reading per night. Out of two classes last year (fifty kids), I got one of two As.

The material is easy, but the teacher (probably my favorite teacher I've ever had) makes it incredibly rigorous.

By Terpfan101 (Terpfan101) on Friday, February 20, 2004 - 07:18 pm: Edit

its hard in the sense that you got to read. but its really not that much. 1 chapter a week (30 big pages). took it last year got a 5 and A's both semesters. 740 sat2. Teacher was my favorite in high school. I loved the class too, so that made it easier and its really interesting. But it is definately the hardest AP history course. As the dept head explained, it has been around for 40 years with ap euro. So they have finetuned the exam, unlike ap world which i am currently taking and hate so far (perhaps due to senioritis). the world exam i hear is really easy since it is so new.

By Chitownsfnst3 (Chitownsfnst3) on Friday, February 20, 2004 - 08:23 pm: Edit

it's "harder" than AP Euro. you have to spend a lot more time, reading, studying, etc but if you put that effort to it, you should be fine. also, some of it probably depends on the teacher.

By Kyle8744 (Kyle8744) on Sunday, February 22, 2004 - 08:40 am: Edit

its ALOT easier and less time consuming than AP euro at my school.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page