Certified mailing of applications?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: November 2003 Archive: Certified mailing of applications?
By Afk (Afk) on Wednesday, November 26, 2003 - 08:51 pm: Edit

Should we mail applications with certified mailing, or perhaps with just a certificate of mailing?

By Massdad (Massdad) on Wednesday, November 26, 2003 - 10:36 pm: Edit

Why bother with either? What good would it be? Say your app does not make it in time, or gets lost. You tell the school you have "proof"! They say, "so what?"

You are better off either doing it on line so you can get a confirmation, or mailing it in advance and verifying. With the impending crunch, the latter could be difficult.

BTW, certified mail goes in the same bag with all the rest, so if it gets lost, it's still lost. There is no fedex tracking for certified. You could send registered, but it is $$$, and total overkill, in my estimation.

Remember, these are not legal or tax documents. A school can still do what it wants if it does not get the app, even if you prove sending.

By Sac (Sac) on Thursday, November 27, 2003 - 12:37 am: Edit

I wouldn't pay for registering, but I would pay a few bucks for a receipt with the postmark on it.

Massdad, here's a situation where it helped: Last year, my niece sent a video to a coach at a college and received a call from his office saying the college was missing part of her application that was to have been sent by her school. The college was quite adamant that it was her responsibility and that without it she could not be considered. It turned out her school had registered everything it sent out. When she told the college there was proof of mailing, that's when admissions really looked for her material. They found it stapled to someone else's application -- their mistake.

By Nmoreno1 (Nmoreno1) on Thursday, November 27, 2003 - 04:18 pm: Edit

UC apps ask that you not use certified mail. DOn't know if this applies to you, but you know.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page