UC 7th/8th grade grades!

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: November 2003 Archive: UC 7th/8th grade grades!
By Tlo (Tlo) on Wednesday, November 26, 2003 - 03:06 am: Edit

Is it important at all to list your 7th and 8th grade classes and grades for UCs and Berkeley?

By Lhm501 (Lhm501) on Wednesday, November 26, 2003 - 10:49 am: Edit

No college is remotely interested in junior high grades, do not list anything from 7th & 8th grades, nothing. Unless you cured cancer in the 8th grade do not include any junior high activities, highlights, nothing, period.

By Texas137 (Texas137) on Wednesday, November 26, 2003 - 11:30 am: Edit

If you took high school courses in middle school, particularly math, that needs to be passed on to colleges. Check with your high school. They may be included on your transcript. But if your high school transcript starts with ,say, calculus in 9th grade, you'll need something indicating how you covered algebra, geometry, etc.

If you won a high school award while still in middle school, that should also be included. For instance, every year a handful of middle schoolers are among the 250-300 people who qualify for the USA Math Olympiad. Some even get invited to the training camp. Stuff like that needs to be on the college app.

By Tlo (Tlo) on Wednesday, November 26, 2003 - 12:52 pm: Edit

Well UC has a special spot for high school grades... is Algebra I a high school subject that I should list? Pre-algebra?

By Texas137 (Texas137) on Wednesday, November 26, 2003 - 01:22 pm: Edit

algebra I is usually considered the first high school math course, even though it isn't unusual for people to do it in middle school.

By Sac (Sac) on Wednesday, November 26, 2003 - 03:13 pm: Edit

I believe California state standards now require all eighth graders to take algebra. I don't know when they went into effect, though, whether they are uniformly followed, and if that would render algebra a middle school rather than high school course.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page