Question on Boston U. App.

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: November 2003 Archive: Question on Boston U. App.
By Tsukinoai (Tsukinoai) on Wednesday, November 26, 2003 - 12:58 am: Edit

There is this one part in the BU online app askign whether your first language was english? I said no cuz i spoke chinese. But then again. What do they mean? Do they mean as a language that i know fluently and can write in? Or as a spoken language??? And the next question is about the primary language at home being english?? My answer was no.
But it starts off saying that i MUST take the TOEFL if you answer no to any of the two questions. I had a great verbal score for the SATs and ppl have told me that i don't have to take it even if the BU app says so. Just want to make sure by asking u ppl.

By Koori (Koori) on Wednesday, November 26, 2003 - 10:09 am: Edit

the same thing happened to me...i answered no and then they told me to prove my english proficiency. but you can get exempt from them if you contact the admissions office...and they mainly look at your verbal sat score to exempt you.

By Cutie314 (Cutie314) on Wednesday, November 26, 2003 - 12:56 pm: Edit

I had the same concern as you so I went to my guidance councelour and he actually called the admissions office and they told him that I don't have to take it if I have above a 550 sat verbal. So don't worry about it.

By Fallentear04 (Fallentear04) on Wednesday, November 26, 2003 - 02:21 pm: Edit

Do you think people in the BU situation should call anyway, just to make sure?

By Cutie314 (Cutie314) on Thursday, November 27, 2003 - 03:10 pm: Edit

If u want to be reassured, then go ahead and call.

By Bern700 (Bern700) on Thursday, November 27, 2003 - 03:49 pm: Edit

Same thing happened to me, they said if my SAT verbal score was above a 600 then I didnt need to take the TOEFL.

By Emyh (Emyh) on Thursday, November 27, 2003 - 04:10 pm: Edit

thank goodness. i dont have to take another stupid useless test.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page