Short answer... on topic?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: November 2003 Archive: Short answer... on topic?
By Jennyzsong (Jennyzsong) on Tuesday, November 25, 2003 - 10:04 pm: Edit

i have a bad thing where I can never answer questions on topic... please tell me if this is on or off! (and also what you think maybe?)

jot a note to your future roommate relating a personal experience that reveals something about you. (people told me to ignore the future roommate part, so I guess I just wrote about a personal experience)

I have never been a quiet child, by any means. There is a part of me that does not allow it—I must voice what is in me as I must breathe—and too often I am found at odds with others. But that was before I took a risk on a Canadian-winter February in the middle of an ice storm, following the directions of someone I had never met to a place I had never been. It was silly and fateful. I found, that night, the independent music scene, which I would soon discover to be a completion of me. I stood there watching the bands with a type of awe, knowing instantly that was where I belonged. I listened among others who felt the same magic, under the same sway of the words. The importance of my own voice was greatly diminished beside the voice of the music. Here, the lyrics didn’t boast of girls or cars or wealth; they spoke of politics and life and society. My beliefs could be mirrored here in song, energized by instrumentation. There was a subtlety that was admirable. I felt linked to them, no longer a lone wolf among trappers, too ready to charge, but a component of a whole, unified and resolved. I lost the incendiary sleeve of my manner, but I did not lose my voice. Still, as the song goes, “the lightning rod couldn’t pull the storm from me.”

By Jennyzsong (Jennyzsong) on Tuesday, November 25, 2003 - 10:52 pm: Edit

bumpity bump

By Jennyzsong (Jennyzsong) on Wednesday, November 26, 2003 - 01:03 pm: Edit

anybody? thanks...

By Jennyzsong (Jennyzsong) on Wednesday, November 26, 2003 - 05:40 pm: Edit

dum da dum dum

By Minibrit (Minibrit) on Wednesday, November 26, 2003 - 06:36 pm: Edit

With a question like that, its impossibble to go off topic.

what college is that for? I wish my colleges asked me something like that.

By Jennyzsong (Jennyzsong) on Wednesday, November 26, 2003 - 07:07 pm: Edit

lol it's stanford :)

By Smiley (Smiley) on Thursday, November 27, 2003 - 08:25 pm: Edit

I think it's interesting... I don't know much about Stanford, but I'd think they'd want something more casual in tone... What's the chance you'd actually leave that note for your roommate? I think if they wanted you to ignore that part, they wouldn't include it... but I don't know.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page