Uh oh.....typo in essay I already sent....

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: November 2003 Archive: Uh oh.....typo in essay I already sent....
By Trojan1444 (Trojan1444) on Monday, November 24, 2003 - 09:35 pm: Edit

"John Edwards is s a Democratic senator..."

I don't think this will hurt me that much, will it?

By Pookdogg (Pookdogg) on Tuesday, November 25, 2003 - 12:48 am: Edit

I think you're screwed. The AdCom has a specific procedure for essays with typos of this magnitude. They burn all articles of clothing they were wearing at time of reading, and they hire illiterate people to rip it up for them.

I'm sorry, I'm just playing, I just thought that needed to be said. A small typo like that cannot help you, but there is a good chance that the reader will miss it just as you did. If they do notice, and it's a good essay besides, they won't say, "here's a perfectly qualified applicant except for an essay typo. Into the rejection pile you go. Next."

At least, I hope they don't do that.

By Jason817 (Jason817) on Tuesday, November 25, 2003 - 01:37 am: Edit

They send the essays through a machine and if it picks up ANY grammatical errors, then it gets sent to the shredder along with your application. Better start checking out the local community college.

By Kewkiekid (Kewkiekid) on Tuesday, November 25, 2003 - 02:07 am: Edit

i didn't even notice it the first time i read through your post. the human mind automatically skips things that don't fit. at the rate adcoms read essays, there's a good chance they won't even notice. it's not the end of the world.

By Gogoinwi (Gogoinwi) on Tuesday, November 25, 2003 - 04:42 pm: Edit

ditto to what kewkiekid said. Adcoms likely skim over your essays, and when I skimmed over your post, I had to go back and reread it to find the mistake. I wouldn't worry too much.

By Abyss (Abyss) on Tuesday, November 25, 2003 - 04:56 pm: Edit

not bad at all. it would have been "John Edwards is a Republican senator..."

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page