Shorties....

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: November 2003 Archive: Shorties....
By Becks777 (Becks777) on Monday, November 24, 2003 - 05:52 pm: Edit

hey guys...here r my 2 short uc statements....advice on any one of them would be greatly appreciated

For most Americans ,Cricket is a funny game where people dress up in white, cast a ball at three sticks and defend the same with a fourth. But just like any other Indian, Cricket has been an integral part of my life. In fact the very first toy, my mom got for me was a plastic cricket bat.

Upon coming to America I realized that cricket was as non existent as a roommate who says “Hey, these homemade cookies my mom sent are for everybody”. Late February, during our tennis game, an Indian kid gave me a terrific idea of creating a Parkway Cricket Quad. In order to establish a cricket quad, we sent a letter to the principal of all 4 Parkway schools and requested them to appoint someone to take charge of creating a cricket team. Being in charge for my school, I put out flyers everywhere and within days, we had our own cricket squad. While most Indians turned up to revive their lost cricket glory, I was honored to have some non-Indian kids who turned up just out of sheer curiosity. Nevertheless, playing and teaching cricket at the same time was one of a kind experience for me. Cricket provided an opportunity for all of us to play together, and helped us learn about each other in a challenging but enjoyable endeavor. The joy and the pleasure I got in promoting my own culture and the values I learnt in my life was absolutely unmatchable.

2.The computer is a device that has attracted my attention ever since I was first introduced to it. What interests me the most about a computer is its limitless frontier of exploration. My mission to conquer the world of computers started from mastering computer games and has reached a level of Web designing and computer programming. My sisters owned her own computer institute in Bombay, where she taught me everything from basic computer applications to more complex topics like programming. My expertise was tested in the “ Times Multimedia Software designing “ contest where 150 kids from all over Bombay took part and I won the 1st prize. Much to my disbelief, an article on it was featured on the front page of the Bombay times newspaper. I have still preserved a copy of it. As strange as it may sound, it was hard for me to follow my interest in computers in America. Changing schools every year didn’t allow me to take the desired courses. Almost half of my classes were filled with graduation requirements. On top of that, Advanced Web Designing was not offered at my new school while A.P computer science was offered every alternate year. Yet that hasn’t stopped me from pursuing my interest in computers. I am at present doing a self study of Computer Science and hope to pass the test in May. In fact my curiosity and fascination is so huge that I plan to be a computer engineer or a computer analyst someday

By Whzup44412 (Whzup44412) on Monday, November 24, 2003 - 06:21 pm: Edit

Both essays are good in that convey alot about yourself. They need to be written a little better. But, the contents of the essays are both very appropriate for each topic and add to the value of your application.

By Becks777 (Becks777) on Monday, November 24, 2003 - 09:44 pm: Edit

bu,p

By Lilpopers (Lilpopers) on Tuesday, November 25, 2003 - 12:54 am: Edit

I like the first one a lot! It does need a little revision though, but it is really original and that is going to get you a lot of points.

By Becks777 (Becks777) on Tuesday, November 25, 2003 - 05:54 pm: Edit

Thnaks lilpopers

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page