Backing out of Early Decision: does it hurt your chances at

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: November 2003 Archive: Backing out of Early Decision: does it hurt your chances at
By Whzup44412 (Whzup44412) on Monday, November 24, 2003 - 03:42 pm: Edit

I'm thinking about backing out of my Early Decision school (sending in a letter to change it to regular decision). Will this signficantly hurt my chances at gaining admission? I really want to go the school, but I'm not ready to make that kind of commitment.

By Whzup44412 (Whzup44412) on Monday, November 24, 2003 - 04:18 pm: Edit

Anyone? How do you even do this? Do you just write a letter or call the office?

By Whzup44412 (Whzup44412) on Monday, November 24, 2003 - 05:05 pm: Edit

Anyone! Really need advice!

By Gracious95 (Gracious95) on Monday, November 24, 2003 - 05:08 pm: Edit

I'd say call the office. I don't know if it'll screw up your chances, but I do know that they will probably do that if you talk to them personaly, to make sure it is done. This month I changed an application from regular decision to early decision, and I did this by calling.

By Whzup44412 (Whzup44412) on Monday, November 24, 2003 - 05:19 pm: Edit

Here's my dilemma. I'm worried about getting into a good school regular decision, I have nothing that really stands out. Here's my stats and the school's I'm applying to....

SAT
710 V, 780 M

SAT II
Math IIC 800
Math IC 800
Writing 730
Chemistry 720

GPA
4.883 W, 4.0 UW (through junior year)

SENIOR COURSES (with first quarter grades)
AP Gov- A
AP Calc BC- B
AP Spanish V- B
AP Bio II- A
AP English-A
Honors Physics- A

ECs: officer in a couple clubs, job at movie theatre, piano, web design (not all that great)

Schools:
Haverford
Swarthmore
Emory
Pitt Honors (accepted)
PSU (accepted)
Schreyers Honor College
Case Western
George Washington
Harvard
U of Penn
Johns Hopkins
Cornell

By Xtech (Xtech) on Monday, November 24, 2003 - 05:28 pm: Edit

wtf are you so worried about. You're in at GW and CW without a doubt. The rest of them you'll almost definetley get in at least one, probably JHU or Cornell.

By Whzup44412 (Whzup44412) on Monday, November 24, 2003 - 06:09 pm: Edit

Yeah, but I've received two B's first quarter, and may receive another 2 second quarter. Additionally, I'm behind in the applications, and I'm worried I'll stress myself out too much trying to finish them by January 1st. Also, I don't have anything standout for regular decision- no amazing summer programs, research positions, etc. I'm just a normal high school student that works hard and get's involved in school activities. I want to go to a great school and get into medical school. I don't want to have to end up going to my back-up schools (I'm actually legacy at GW, does that help even in RD).

Thanks for the response though, much appreciated.

By Whzup44412 (Whzup44412) on Monday, November 24, 2003 - 09:04 pm: Edit

anyone else? will i have no shot at getting in regular decision if i back out of early decision?

By Lhm501 (Lhm501) on Tuesday, November 25, 2003 - 12:16 pm: Edit

Where did you apply early?? You have a shot at most of the schools you listed, especially at GW where you are a legacy and yes it does help in RD. Harvard is, of course, a really long shot, Swarthmore maybe too. What's your class rank? If you are in top 10% that will make a real difference at the more competitive schools.

As for med school, you don't have to go to Harvard to get into a great med school. You only have to excel at the school you go to--you'd probably be better off as a stellar student from GW than as a merely good student at Swarthmore. If you are in top 10% I don't know why you wouldn't be admitted into JHU or Cornell. Ease up, agonizing won't help, just settle down, try to bring those Bs up and get your apps in order. Perspective my friend, perspective. You will get into a good school, Harvard is not the be all end all of academia and certainly not of med schools.

By Whzup44412 (Whzup44412) on Tuesday, November 25, 2003 - 02:49 pm: Edit

Actually, i applied ED to Haverford. It's a great school, but I feel as though with my past grades, SATs, etc. I should be going for a better school (everyone else with GPAs lower than me is applying to MIT or Penn or Princeton). I'm ranked in the top 10%, through Junior Year i'm #1 in the class.

Anyway, am i too late to pull out of it? Will they get very angry and not even consider me for regular? Also: side note (my sister goes to Bryn Mawr, does that help at all?)

Oh, and I don't really want to go to Harvard. My parents are making me apply there because they believe that because of the fact that my ancestors from like 400 years ago donated 140 acres of land to Harvard that I'll get in.

By Lhm501 (Lhm501) on Tuesday, November 25, 2003 - 04:56 pm: Edit

Haverford is a great school--just because people with lower grades applied to MIT etc., doesn't mean they will get in. If you loved Haverford enough to apply ED, maybe you should consider sticking with it, having a great time at college, making terrific grades and then have your choice of med schools.

As for pulling out--I don't know, but common sense tells me that the adcoms are only human and may take your withdrawal as a negative--I REALLY don't know, intuition is all I'm going on.

Just be realistic, as you yourself said, nothing really stands out--don't listen to others--look at yourself and what will make YOU happy.

By Whzup44412 (Whzup44412) on Tuesday, November 25, 2003 - 06:42 pm: Edit

Thank you for the response. Anymore assesments for my Regular Decision schools??? Also, has anyone by chance here ever backed out of early decision before? I heard it wasn't all that uncommon to change an application to regular.

By Whzup44412 (Whzup44412) on Tuesday, November 25, 2003 - 08:33 pm: Edit

bump, sorry, im desperate

By Whzup44412 (Whzup44412) on Tuesday, November 25, 2003 - 09:48 pm: Edit

Lhm501- Thanks. I know Haverford is a great school, in many respects more academically challenging than some of the ivies. My fear is that Haveford has no serious name recognition like a school like JHU or Cornell. So, during job interviews, you don't even have a name to fall back on. I think I'm getting sucked in to the "prestige" game, but I'm not sure. Any help would be much appreciated!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page