Ideal schedule?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: November 2003 Archive: Ideal schedule?
By Kkay (Kkay) on Monday, November 24, 2003 - 02:00 am: Edit

I'm having some trouble priortizing..hope some ppl can help..

I'm an international student, and I'm taking the SAT2 in Dec...about 2 weeks from now. I also need towrite my application essays (i have about 6-7 to write) but then I hv a lot of SCHOOL tests/assignments to do

What should I put first?? I thought about putting SAT2 first before essays, and writing them right after I finish my SAT2 (6th DEc)..which gives me about 2 weeks before the deadline. But I read messages on ur board and it seems like EVERYONE has finished/nearly finished writing their essays. My friend thinks that we should put essay-writing in first place since supposedly that's what colleges look at more..(than SAT2?? anyone??)

The THIRD thing is my school tests. Now I know that they don't count as much, but they do contribute my mid-term mark, as well as how much the teachers think I'm taking the subject seriously..I was neglecting my school stuff in Sept and Oct during my SAT1s, but my school conselor (who's writing my mid-yr report and school report) was sort of (threatening) warning me..like she said that if I hv wonderful marks, good applications but a sucky mid-year report, the most she can do is write that I was very busy (I'm very active in extra-curricular activities)..and she tol me I HAD to do better on my tests..
I want to ask, how much does the mid-year report contribute to the application?

I'm confused....school tests/SAT2/essays first..??

Hope i can get some of ur opinions
thanks

By Virgo007 (Virgo007) on Monday, November 24, 2003 - 04:34 pm: Edit

It really depends. I would personally do it in this order:

1) SAT II's
2) School Tests
3) Essays

Why did I choose it in that order? SAT II's are counted equally, if not more, than SAT I's (if you are applying to selective/ivy league universities.) It's important that you score well on them to show the colleges that you can ace the tests that you show interest in. School tests are IMPORTANT and if you screw up your grades, they the adcoms are going to wonder why you're tripping. Essays...yes, they are important, but your SAT II's and school work comes before that.

Good luck.

Wish me luck on my acceptance to UPenn please!

By Kkay (Kkay) on Tuesday, November 25, 2003 - 08:13 am: Edit

Oh..thanks!

Oh really?? I always thought that essays came before SAT IIs which are before school stuff??

My essays...I'm worried becuase everyone seems to be sending in their applications so early...is it my problem??

How good do I have to be in rank for my mid-terms? (around)
Before,last year and the year before, I don't think I'd have a problem, because I was less busy with extra-curricular activities and probably will be in top 5% at school. But I'm not sure about NOW ~_~

Good luck :)

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page