How important are test scores: A REAL TEST!!

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: November 2003 Archive: How important are test scores: A REAL TEST!!
By Yaleeakid (Yaleeakid) on Monday, November 24, 2003 - 01:40 am: Edit

Ok, here's the deal. I suck at standardized test. In fact, I suck so bad I'm not even taking the SAT unless I get denied or deferred from Yale EA and I'm forced to rush apply to 6 other colleges for regular review.
So you probably picked up on the fact that I just said I applied to Yale EA! My ACT is a whopping 27....29 29 27 24 (the true ACT lords know the specific order of the scores/subject). Now, being the IVY pro that you are, you are probably wondering why the hell is someone with a 27 applying to Yale? Your not the only one, for I too also wonder the same thing. I mean, the average ACT for my highschool is 29 and for yale its 31 (32 last year). (I attend the Louisiana School for Math, Science, and the Arts www.lsmsa.edu--if you click on the nasa link there's a pic of me talking to Cornell, the 2002 Noble Prize Laurette in Physics).
So, Will Yale except a 27, no SAT or SAT IIs!!
We'll see, and if they do, this may be why:
Credentials:
Execepted to La. School for Math, Science, and Arts: a residential high school that kicks any other high school square in the nuts.
My Course Load includes, but is not limited to:
Calculus 1 through 4
Physics with Calculus(which for you AP junkies is 10 times better than AP Phys)
Organic Chemistry
Genetics
Astronomy
Latin II
Survey of the Arts
Newspaper Sports editor
British Literature
Electronics

and that is just this semester alone
Last year I took
Trig
Precal
Calc I
Prob Stat
Gen Chem.
AP Environmental
Adv. American History
Adv. C+
Visual Basic
Evolution and Literature (<--isnt that bad ass, what other highschool ...expecially in the deep south...offers EvoLit!!!...and my proffessor was a Ph.D. kid from Duke who is like the leading biographer on Kurt Vonnegaut(Sp?).
English III (refered to as EN210 composition and major themes)
Yea, so thats 16 semester classes my junior year with a maxed out sophmore year (4.0) and 10 classes my senior year first semester...2nd semester includes : Modern Physics, Astrophysics, Linear Algebra, Vector Calculus, Differential Equations, Expository writing, Literature and Science, Acting...and a few other dumb required classes like health.
My La. School GPA is 3.87 and my home school GPA is 3.86....This semseter i have 8A's and two B's...All my B's come from Calculus with one from Adv. american History Part I and another thats about to come from Brit Lit. (I advise never taking that class at 9:30 TR)
As for ECs (I'm the EC God)
2xAll-American at the USATF National Junior Olympics. (5th place in the 800m and 4x800m)
One of six Athletes selected for 2003 Junior World Team athlete pool.
Science Club President
Newspaper Sports Editor
Athlete of the Year
Peer Counselor
FOLIO Literary Magazine Science Editor (One of the top ranked magazines in the nation, not that Yale knows that)
Varisty Science Quizbowl
Student Government 4 years (Senator)
Dorm Council (muhahah, how many others schools have dorms!!!)
Varsity Cross country and Track for FOUR Years
Outstanding Freshman
Crew (damn close to being recruited by yale for crew and track)
Lake Area Express Summer track Club,athlete and young athlete coach
Graguating with Distinction in Physics/Electrochemistry, Research done at La. Partical Accelerator Center at Univ. La. Lafayette. Currently workin in conjunction with NASA Ames, JPL, and Primarily the SETI Institute.
And the list goes on, but those are the important things.

Jobs:
Tech support and Taco Bell....don't laugh, i'll spit in your Taco's.

Now the big kicker, I'm Hispanic...Cuban.
But I only have a 27 ACT
Top subscores are 30 29 27 24

So will I get in?
This should be a really good test for Test score dependence.

What do you think?

P.S.
My kick ass teachers let me read the recs they wrote for me....good stuff. The Duke english professor wrote my humanities and my Research Coordinator/Astronomy teacher wrote my science/math rec. It also may help, that i have a research partner that was accepted last year...my teacher put that in her rec. He was a 36er with a 1560 SAT and also did research for LIGO and CalTech.

Excuse the crappy grammar.

By Jimjunior (Jimjunior) on Monday, November 24, 2003 - 01:51 am: Edit

hmm, well if you are the fifth fastest kid your age in the nation then you are set

By Nmoreno1 (Nmoreno1) on Monday, November 24, 2003 - 01:56 am: Edit

In the beginning, you said your ACT subscores were 29 29, etc etc.

but in the end, they change to 30 29?

?

is someone lying?

If you're not, that's a very hefty schedule you have. good job.

By Yaleeakid (Yaleeakid) on Monday, November 24, 2003 - 01:59 am: Edit

posted twice :/

By Yaleeakid (Yaleeakid) on Monday, November 24, 2003 - 02:03 am: Edit

No, no lying. I new this would confuse someone:
The scores that comprise my 27 composite are:
29 29 27 24
The scores that comprise my 26 composite are:
30 24 27 24

Thus my highest subscores are:
30 29 27 24

Hope that fixes the confusion.

And as for being the 5th fastest kid in the nation. That was 2002...ages 15-16...and that was before I attended LSMSA, where my extreme lack of sleep (4.5 hours a night at best), along with the fact that my school doesn't have varsity sports...sort of excluded me from the national arena. Tsk tsk...what we give up for academia!

By Culovv (Culovv) on Monday, November 24, 2003 - 02:16 am: Edit

Wow... I envy you.... actually i envy your school.

By Yaleeakid (Yaleeakid) on Monday, November 24, 2003 - 02:35 am: Edit

Yea, La. School kicks Azz. Check out the courses
http://www.lsmsa.edu/Academics/courses.htm

This may help you to understand why a senior in high school would give up sports and sleep to take 10 classes a semester.

By Enlightenment (Enlightenment) on Monday, November 24, 2003 - 02:56 am: Edit

Looks great hun, be sure to tell us how it turns out, I'd be interested in knowing.

By Minibrit (Minibrit) on Monday, November 24, 2003 - 10:29 pm: Edit

isnt SAT2s a requirement for the ivy leagues?

By Godis (Godis) on Tuesday, November 25, 2003 - 05:59 pm: Edit

good lord... i wish i went to your high school. oh and, for yale, you're in.

By Gogoinwi (Gogoinwi) on Tuesday, November 25, 2003 - 06:58 pm: Edit

Calculus 1 through 4?? wtf is calculus 4? advanced topics in calc or something? Where I'm from it goes AB, BC, Multivariable, then onto diff eq and linear algebra...

By Culovv (Culovv) on Tuesday, November 25, 2003 - 08:19 pm: Edit

Hey, im also cuban. That makes four cubans on CC!

By Volley17 (Volley17) on Tuesday, November 25, 2003 - 08:31 pm: Edit

Holy crap, I envy your school too. At mine, seniors have two English classes to choose from: AP English Literature or College Prep English

By Chasgoose (Chasgoose) on Tuesday, November 25, 2003 - 09:14 pm: Edit

I have a friend that goes to LSMSA and she has told me some pretty bad things about it that I do not want to get into but lets just say I do not envy her at all.

Also I think that scores are going to prove to be an important factor at least as far as EA is concerned because Yale is really overwhelmed by the amount of applications that they have to look at. They are not even done sorting all of the applications and they have exactly three weeks before they have to reply with a decision not to mention that this week is Thanksgiving. In the rush, they are going to rely more heavily on stats than they would like to admit because they are easier to analyze quickly.

By Evil_Robot (Evil_Robot) on Tuesday, November 25, 2003 - 10:13 pm: Edit

I hope.

By Whatever17 (Whatever17) on Wednesday, November 26, 2003 - 03:30 am: Edit

Eh, lemme tell you guys about my school. If you think these school mentioned above are tight, listen to this.
My high school ... Calculus I is the highest math class available (not AP). We have no AP classes, the only possible science classes are pys. science, bio, adv bio, chemistry, physics, only english classes are English 1,2,3,4, for the four yeras u go to high school.
what do u think.
Avg SAT = maybe 1000

u like?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page