Nick's UC Essay #1

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: November 2003 Archive: Nick's UC Essay #1
By Nmoreno1 (Nmoreno1) on Monday, November 24, 2003 - 01:11 am: Edit

Focus: Academic Preparation
Rationale: The University seeks to enroll students who take initiative in pursuing their education (for example, developing a special interest in science, language or the performing arts; involvement in special programs including summer enrichment programs, research, or academic development programs such as EAOP, Mesa, Puente, COSMOS or other similar programs.) This question seeks to understand a student's motivation and dedication to learning.

Question: How have you taken advantage of the educational opportunities you have had to prepare for college? *

--Begin Essay--
“If I wasn’t in honors, I wouldn’t have to worry about this goop,” remarked my chemistry partner. But there we were in the honors class.

In taking such classes, I have tried to take advantage of my educational opportunities in any way possible. In fact, I have been a member of the G.A.T.E/Honors program since third grade and have enjoyed every minute of it. When I realized I had room in my schedule, I decided to pursue an online psychology course. When people were wondering what government class to take, I opted for the We The People honors class. Free time? Who needs it when you have Science Bowl and Academic Decathlon meetings at 6:45AM? When people decided to go home after school, I chose to stay and lead Band Council meetings or head to the Boys and Girls club to tutor.

“Sleep? That’s for the junior high students” I always say. Sure, sleep would be good some nights, but when you have to write an expository essay on Plato’s “Myth of the Cave” or argue about the concepts of classical republicanism versus natural rights, there’s just no time to be average.

Deadline after deadline, I live a busy life. After all, what’s the point in sitting back and letting opportunity pass you by?
--End Essay--

All critique welcome, I thank you in advance.
NICK

By Nucleargod (Nucleargod) on Monday, November 24, 2003 - 05:11 pm: Edit

sounds a little like an indirect laundry list to me, unless of course you didnt put those ec activities in your application. i like your writing style though.

By Borglq (Borglq) on Monday, November 24, 2003 - 06:26 pm: Edit

waaa, i hate the style and i think that the people reviewing your essay will hate it to. The question-answer format and the korny quotes, it just doesnt turn me on. Hope i'm wrong.

By Jason817 (Jason817) on Monday, November 24, 2003 - 07:28 pm: Edit

the quotes make it better.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page