Help with essay question please.

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: November 2003 Archive: Help with essay question please.
By Borglq (Borglq) on Friday, November 21, 2003 - 06:54 pm: Edit

Is A or B correct interpretation of last sentance of the following essay.
Essay 500-700 words for USCalifornia.
"Mahatma Gandhi said, "We must become the change we want to see in the world." Reflect on your world and your place within it. Discuss how you have changed or plan to effect change within that world." A. Discuss how you have changed that world or plan to effect change within that world. B. Discuss how you yourself have changed or how you plan to effect change within that world.

and one more thing. I am having a ton of trouble answering that essay and if someone could gimme a link or post an essay that answers a similar question so I could get an idea of what to do. Or if you cant do that just gimme some ideas. I have low community service, applying to computer engineering, hike, play sports, read- nothing to do with changing the world.

By Sac (Sac) on Friday, November 21, 2003 - 07:14 pm: Edit

how you want to change the world through computer engineering? how you love to hike and that relates to changing the world to protect the environment? how you are with your family and friends and would like to change the way people relate to each other in the world based on those relationships? how you made a difference on a team? were changed by something you read?

in other words, start with you. any of the interests you mentioned could be related to changing yourself or changing the world.

By Borglq (Borglq) on Friday, November 21, 2003 - 10:49 pm: Edit

bump... still need help. if u can give any please do.

By Borglq (Borglq) on Friday, November 21, 2003 - 11:02 pm: Edit

ok i know what i want to ask now.
In this question should i say how i wanna change the world in a big sense, or in a small personal sense? Like i could say i wanna find the cure to cancer or build a houserobot or something like that but that wouldnt tell them anything- everybody wants that. On the other hand i could do something small and kinda significant to me. I am assuming they are looking for the smaller scale answer because bigger scale is simply bs.
Concerning the smaller scale answer i cant think of one. PLz help, thx in advance (that rhymed)

By Northstarmom (Northstarmom) on Friday, November 21, 2003 - 11:59 pm: Edit

Borgla,
It looks like the schools is interested in finding students who have a sincere interest in changing the world on a large or small scale.
If you were like that, you'd have some real answer for the essay and wouldn't have to ask other people. After all, the point of the essay is what YOU would do.

Since apparently changing the world hasn't been a consideration for you, sounds like this school isn't a good match for you. Your values and interest don't match the school's.

By Borglq (Borglq) on Saturday, November 22, 2003 - 09:25 am: Edit

northstarmom, just because a school's essay deals with changing the world doesnt mean that the whole school is concerned about changing the world. This school is right for me just I havent found a way to bs through there main essay yet, like everyone else does. College essays usually= overdramatized experiences, accomplishments, and desires.

By Northstarmom (Northstarmom) on Saturday, November 22, 2003 - 10:09 am: Edit

Borgig,
Everybody does not bs through the kind of essay that you posted. Adcoms also aren't looking for overdramaticized experiences, etc.

Your perspective is a typical one of students who incorrectly assume that having the right stats is all they need to be accepted at colleges, particularly at colleges that are selective.

The admissions officers wouldn't have had an essay about changing the world unless the college were interested in attracting students with such an interest.

By Minibrit (Minibrit) on Saturday, November 22, 2003 - 06:12 pm: Edit

I hate that topic. I spit on that topic. I'mdoing the other one.
Sure i want to change the world, but im gonna look like such a cruel extremist if i write about how i want to ban prosititution and abortion, and such....maybe u should do the other topic too.

By Borglq (Borglq) on Saturday, November 22, 2003 - 06:17 pm: Edit

i managed to plow through the gandhi essay, gl on the other essay minibrit.

By Minibrit (Minibrit) on Saturday, November 22, 2003 - 06:35 pm: Edit

thanks. I dont know what to write about. Which do u think is better/ an essay about a 3 year olds art work and how intriguing it can be or an essay thats slightly off topic that talks about how music in general intrigues me

By Borglq (Borglq) on Saturday, November 22, 2003 - 06:37 pm: Edit

i dont know the details but if something i would say the second one. The 3 year old is you right... its a bit too young to write about imo.

By Minibrit (Minibrit) on Saturday, November 22, 2003 - 07:21 pm: Edit

lol well i want to be original. no the 3 year old is my baby nephew

By Borglq (Borglq) on Saturday, November 22, 2003 - 08:19 pm: Edit

o ok well do the 3 year old baby. I thought it was you who was 3 year old kid, would be kinda wierd.
Gl.
lol... "do the 3 year old baby"

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page