Please rate me for the sake that i post 4 times and no one e

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: November 2003 Archive: Please rate me for the sake that i post 4 times and no one e
By Changrobert (Changrobert) on Friday, November 21, 2003 - 01:22 am: Edit

applying RD for U Penn, Columbia,UC-Berkeley,UCLA,UCSD,UCI,northwestern all regular

my stats:

SAT: math:750 verbal: 490 retake for the verbal
SAT II: Math IIC: 780 Writing:640 Chinese:800
SAT II average: 740

senior yr schedule:
Linear algebra, AP physics, AP art, English 4, Spanish 3 honors

GPA: 4.14/5.00

EC's

student concil-secretary
disiplinary concil member
Drama co. director of Class 2004
Basketball team JV
Swim Team Varsity
attend National Young Leaders Conference
chosen as the national anthem singer for the NYLC
School webstie desigh. First Place
in school science compeition. Second place
debate club, school newspaper, academic league-varsity and JV,key club
national honor roll
natonal society of high school student

great essays, i think (revised 8 times already)

i came to the U.S 3 years ago, and in here, the education inspire my interest in art, music and various other stuff. i really hope i can get into one of my dream school. please evaluate my chances.i know SAT is a killer for me....but still please help this poor kid.

By Almostdead (Almostdead) on Friday, November 21, 2003 - 01:30 am: Edit

You've a chance at UCs... ivies are riskier of course... let's see... what's your essay topic? From what you said... I can see great potentials in developing an essay vibrant with personality. Good luck. =)

By Kissy (Kissy) on Friday, November 21, 2003 - 07:55 am: Edit

Robert- I see you as a fairly recent immigrant who is a motivated student and assimilating well in the school environment. Despite your low verbal score, I think you could successfully package yourself to show how you've overcome the differences and newness in language and culture via your essays, resume, and teacher recs. Students of Asian descent are categorically known for high achievement in the areas of science and technology, as you also seem to be. However, your accomplishments in the arts(vocal, drama,art)
could be a hook for you. Not knowing the specifics of your situation, I'd venture to make a guess that you didn't have many opportunities to explore the arts in your homeland. You could perhaps market yourself as a student inspired by new opportunities in the arts, eliciting new pursuits and passions. You might consider sending vocal and/or dramatic perfomance tapes to the appropriate professors to find some possible support for your candidacy from faculty. Tackling a second new language(spanish) also demonstrates your ability to tackle more challenges. Will you be retaking the SAT? Perhaps some intensive review with a good study guide could help you boost your verbal score a bit higher. Congratulations on your accomplishments and good luck!

By Massdad (Massdad) on Friday, November 21, 2003 - 10:36 am: Edit

This is a good example of where recs could be critical. If one of your recs goes to bat for you, explains that the low verbal skill is due to recent exposure to english etc, you could be OK. You probably should have a serious talk with your recommenders, and consider an additional target rec from perhaps an english teacher.

Your writing score, while not stellar, certainly sends the message that your verbal skills are decent.

Are you a CA resident? ELC eligible? If not, you need to put a real safety on your list, just for insurance.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page