Did i screw myself with my EC's?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: November 2003 Archive: Did i screw myself with my EC's?
By Culovv (Culovv) on Friday, November 21, 2003 - 01:00 am: Edit

Well, other than my low gpa, which is understandable since im at a prep school where a b is the highest grade in 2 of my classes this year. Ive put up with crap like this for 4 years and i cant wait to get out! Im beginning to realize that nothing is going to go how id like it to. Berkeley is my first choice... i f'in love it, but my chances there are horrible. There are still many other schools that id enjoy going to, so a rejection from berkeley wont be the end of my life. I was doing the uc application today and i realized that my EC's are really damn strange. First i thought they were just a little below average (for this forum at least), and then i noticed how much they suck.

You see, i do what i enjoy - im not a stat whore. I didnt join every club at my school because they arent interesting at all... Now i know that ideally, one's ec's would be engineered to be related with the major, but its nothing like that for me. I sat back and thought about what i used my time on the last 4 years and came up with 3 main activities.

Most of my time is spent programming. C/C++, Java, PHP, WHATEVER! I havent done anything revolutionary... A lot of cellular automata stuff. Personally, i enjoy this more than being in 20 damn clubs, but its nothing more than a hobby - an "EC" if you will.

Two other diversions are reading (physics,neuroscience, math, psychology, history) and astronomy. Im a member of a local astronomy club, and i go to astronomy/astrophysics lectures once in a while.

How the hell am i supposed to put this on the college apps? From the college's point of view, im gonna look like a kid who sat on his ass the whole day not doing anything.

Well anyways, if my major was cs or astrophysics, i can see how my EC's would be relative; but my major is neuroscience. Am i screwed?

thanks,

culovv

By The_Slc_Bug (The_Slc_Bug) on Friday, November 21, 2003 - 01:08 am: Edit

I think it's really sad that "clubs" are such an important part of an application. I think that community service should be, but not clubs. You clearly do activities outside of school, you just prefer to stay away from the high school stuff. That is very understandable--for me, a hs grad who can't even stand the clubs at her own college (unfortunately, because we have jack crap here club-wise, my ECs are not excellent either.). However, adcoms will most likely see it differently. Write about your astronomy club and the lectures. It is GOOD that it has nothing to do with your major, imo, since you have so few ECs and it shows that you have outside interests. Just play it up and express your love for astronomy as well as neuroscience. Try your best, and good luck.

By Culovv (Culovv) on Friday, November 21, 2003 - 07:14 pm: Edit

any other opinions?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page