Do essays need to be double spaced?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: November 2003 Archive: Do essays need to be double spaced?
By Bobby443 (Bobby443) on Thursday, November 20, 2003 - 06:05 pm: Edit

I don't think so but I'm not sure, do they need to be double spaced? And if so, does the second page need a header?

(my college only said 500 words, they specified nothing about spacing)

By Calculuscrazy (Calculuscrazy) on Thursday, November 20, 2003 - 06:13 pm: Edit

For the UCs yes.....and I'm assuming other schools require that, too. It's kinda typical, really.

~Anna

By Trojan1444 (Trojan1444) on Thursday, November 20, 2003 - 07:23 pm: Edit

Um, on my online UC essay it didn't say anything about double spacing....

By Ellemenope (Ellemenope) on Friday, November 21, 2003 - 12:35 pm: Edit

Actually, I would think the school's are expecting essays to be single spaced. How else can you fit them into the box they provided on the application? Double space between paragraphs. Just don't make the font too small.

As for the second page of your essay, put on the same header that you put on the first--name, rank, serial #, whatever it is that the college instructs you to do. That way, if the pages become separated, you can be sure that the lost paper will end up back into your file.

By Kjofkw (Kjofkw) on Friday, November 21, 2003 - 01:34 pm: Edit

My S. used the 1 1/2 spacing. ;)
Nice compromise.

It actually looks good, not too compressed, not too much room (which looks like a RD waiting to be redmarked).

By The_Slc_Bug (The_Slc_Bug) on Friday, November 21, 2003 - 02:02 pm: Edit

I don't think double spacing is necessary unless specified. In class papers, double spacing allows teachers to write their corrections. I personally think double spacing makes the paper much harder to read, and the adcom doesn't need space between the sentences to correct your grammar or ideas.

By Ariesathena (Ariesathena) on Friday, November 21, 2003 - 05:03 pm: Edit

A few points: if you single space and double-space between paragraphs, you should not indent the first line of the paragraph.

Do not entirely single space the essay - think of how tired these people must be when your application is number 500 and it's crammed together. If necessary, send the essay as an attachment (physically or electronically), but do not squish it in a small space.

1.5 spacing is a nice compromise.

By Bobby443 (Bobby443) on Friday, November 21, 2003 - 09:49 pm: Edit

I ended up doing 1.2 and 1.3 spacing (just enought to fit them both on their respective pages)

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page