college admissions financial aid college search scholarships ivy league college counseling ">
UC Essay(Final draft)!!!:)

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: November 2003 Archive: UC Essay(Final draft)!!!:)
By Eliel (Eliel) on Thursday, November 20, 2003 - 01:54 am: Edit

Is there anything you would like us to know about you or your academic record that you have not had the opportunity to describe elsewhere in this application?

Like Margot Asquith said: “Although I am not stupid, the mathematical side of my brain is like dumb notes upon a damage piano.” Ever since grammar school I have struggled with math. I have always liked school and learning. I am confident with all schools subjects except math. As my academic record shows, math has been my weakest subject.
Ever since I was a young student, I would always be unconfident and afraid when it came to math. Even in high school, I remember hoping the teacher would not call on me to go to the board to share my answer. I have even been criticized and laughed at. Some teachers have even overlooked me in math class. I used to think, "What do we need math for, if we are never going to use it?" This summer I availed myself of a math tutor. Having a tutor has changed my perspective and attitude on math, academics, and life. The more I have struggled with math the more I have come to realize that math is very important and impacts our daily lives, by making things easier and more efficient.
I used to contemplate giving up because of math and not asking for help. Every math course I have re-taken has helped me realize I could do it. I have come to realize that I could overcome my math difficulties, because I have first learned how to cope with it. I have learned to look at the problems from a different perspective and find solutions to them. I probably would have never gone through these rough times if I would have asked for help earlier in my academic career and if my family's financial hardship would have allowed getting supplementary help. The reason I never gave up and I have overcome these difficulties is because I have taken the initiative and sought a solution for what I believed previously had no solution. I did this by going to a math tutor.
I have also come to realize that I have many other talents in life and that my passion for learning means much. For example, learning about new languages, different cultures and being surrounded by diversity brings me to success and closer to my goals and dreams. It was especially important for me to overcome difficulties in math because I am the first college bound student in my whole family. This has made me work harder and not give up. I also wish to be considered for participation in EOP. This program will provide benefits to me in assisting me with better opportunities.
I have a strong determination to succeed academically. As many others give up, I stand up and stand out by taking risks and challenging myself to test my abilities. I am incredibly motivated and goal oriented and I am always goal-oriented and. I never let my frail spots interfere with my goals. I have learned to persist, work hard and keep trying. Most importantly, I have learned not to discard opportunities no matter how insignificant they may seem, because all opportunities lead to a destiny in life. I am determined to better myself because it is the best kind of victory. With what I have learned, not just in high school, but my whole academic career, I know I will be successful in college and in the career I choose. I always tell myself: “if what you're working for really matters, you'll give it all you've got.”
Word Count: 580

By Trojan1444 (Trojan1444) on Thursday, November 20, 2003 - 02:58 am: Edit

Can you please stop posting every single drafting of every one of your UC essays? People have given you constructive criticism, and repetitively posting multiple essays is somewhat annoying.

By Thedad (Thedad) on Thursday, November 20, 2003 - 03:48 am: Edit

Somewhat?!

By Polly (Polly) on Thursday, November 20, 2003 - 03:58 am: Edit

hmm... anyway I don't like the words "stupid" and "damb".
I guess college people don't like them either.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page