Finally found a college essay topic--need advice!!

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: November 2003 Archive: Finally found a college essay topic--need advice!!
By Tsukinoai (Tsukinoai) on Wednesday, November 19, 2003 - 09:11 pm: Edit

i'm sorta considering doing the #5 topic [topic of your choice] on the common app..i met with one of the college resource ppl and explain to her that my life has been pretty stable. no changes. no risks. so she suggested that i talk abt how i am well rounded..and my interests..like mentioning history is my fav subject and that it is something that keeps me going and that i look forward to especially after a math class, which is my worst subject..and talk abt the club ASIA and how i did a dance for it, volunteered, and became an officer and how i manage time well enough to have a social life with my friends.

adn the question i would basically be answering would be "how prepared do you feel, embarking on the new experience of college?"

what do you guys think of it? is it a good topic?? any suggestions to help me write the essay???

By Almostdead (Almostdead) on Wednesday, November 19, 2003 - 09:34 pm: Edit

Well-rounded... may easily turn into a laundry list. Just pick one specific event and develop an essay from it. =)

By Tsukinoai (Tsukinoai) on Wednesday, November 19, 2003 - 10:49 pm: Edit

that's the problem..i don't have a specific event and i'm one of those ppl who can't blatantly lie. it takes me like half an hr jsut to come up with a fake excuse for not coming in to volunteer and stuff!
what if i start of saying that i was looking thru the college essay and it just hit me or whateva that i have never changed and stuff?? man..i'm rambling from lack of sleep..i'll come up with something more to add to the topic...

By Soozievt (Soozievt) on Wednesday, November 19, 2003 - 10:51 pm: Edit

While it could be a laundry list as Almostdead thinks, it need not be at all. In fact, for the personal statement, my daughter wrote an essay on this very thing as it bests describes her. She is immersed in numerous things that she has done her entire life and it really makes up who she is. She does not regurgitate her activity list in the essay. There are interesting ways to write such an essay that really depict the type of person someone is. I hope you can find a neat way to write this.
Susan

By Almostdead (Almostdead) on Wednesday, November 19, 2003 - 11:07 pm: Edit

one sample essay that comes to my mind is one that compares his life to juggling... how he manages to maintain control over a certain number of balls... so yeah... make it creative =)

By Tsukinoai (Tsukinoai) on Thursday, November 20, 2003 - 02:10 pm: Edit

creativity is at low here... =/

By Ariesathena (Ariesathena) on Thursday, November 20, 2003 - 05:17 pm: Edit

I actually thought of Soozie's D when I read the topic of your essay. DaughterVT handled it very well... so it certainly can be done, and be done well.

Do NOT talk about exactly what you do - save that for a resume which details accomplishments. Discuss instead what the activities or clases MEAN to you. Pick out something in each activity or class specifically that symbolizes what you like about it.

As I said to someone else when reading his essay, there are some things that are not unique. Many people will join an activity where there are different kinds of people, and after reading 5000 essays, it doesn't matter to the reader which activity it is. However, you're the only one who joined a band and played trumpet next to a goth girl named Melissa who practices witchcraft and had an introverted science fair champion named Ned on your other side. You have to make it specific - if you are talking about what you like about history, mention some incident which highlights that interest for you, as you are one of the few people who will write about that.

By Tsukinoai (Tsukinoai) on Thursday, November 20, 2003 - 06:02 pm: Edit

thanks!!! i think your comment has jump started my brain!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page