Willing dropping a class get my admissions revoked?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: November 2003 Archive: Willing dropping a class get my admissions revoked?
By Thaiguy (Thaiguy) on Tuesday, November 18, 2003 - 11:49 pm: Edit

Hypothetically (I said hypothetically damnit!)
If I were to get accepted ED to Penn on Dec 15 and then dropped my AP Spanish 4 class at semester, would I be likely to have my admissions revoked? My friend said the school sends letters to the universities telling them I dropped the course. My logic is "wow i hate this class, i'm doing horrible in it. I'd rather go back into Cross Country and enjoy my spring semester of senior year instead of toil away makin a C or worse (i'm makin a C right now) in spanish 4" My friend is in the same boat as I am and both of us wanna ditch that class for something a little less (how do i say this properly: "LESS BLOODY HARD, STRESSFUL AND IRRITATING!" Any thoughts would be appreciated, thanks for putting up with my rant

By Crnchycereal (Crnchycereal) on Wednesday, November 19, 2003 - 12:11 am: Edit

Never, NEVER drop a class after gaining admittance without asking the school. My advice is to call the admissions office up as soon as possible and ask if it would be all right to drop a certain class for a given reason (just make something up). In most cases, it should be all right, but don't do it without notifying them first. You don't want to take any chances.

By Mischeljason (Mischeljason) on Wednesday, November 19, 2003 - 01:57 am: Edit

Call them??? REALLY?

Hmmmm... I know what everyone is going through... I am currently enrolled in 8 AP classes (some aren't AP quality, boring, tedious, etc)... I was going to only take 5 APs. BTW.. I also applied early to Penn, hah. (BEST OF LUCK!).

I was going to fulfil this time in other 'meaningful' ways... but I simply didn't have the time for that work load and do things such as teaching my own statistics class, and to work on my the ECs that I onced was so dedicated to... (they are VERY involved... and I've been only giving them mediocre attention... if any at all).

PS... I HIGHLY doubt that they wouold rescind your offer of admission (especially because of one AP class... it would be different if you were failing several of your classes however)... I know of someone that was accepted ED to Yale (last year) and so they took the rest of the year off to go to Ecuador... go figure (their offer was definitely NOT rescinded)!

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Wednesday, November 19, 2003 - 12:34 pm: Edit

On the other hand, I know of someone who was admitted to Pomona ED, got a C in calculus third quarter and Pomona threatened to revoke her ED admissions. In addition to bringing her grade up to a B, it took a lot of pleading by her guidance counselor, parents, and the student herself not to have the ED revoked.

I think the suggestion to contact the ED school before dropping a class is a good one.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page