Distinction between Asian and Asian American?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: November 2003 Archive: Distinction between Asian and Asian American?
By Claybellinger (Claybellinger) on Tuesday, November 18, 2003 - 11:01 pm: Edit

Hey

I just started filling out college applications and have already encountered confusion...I was born in the US, and my parents were born in India...What does that make me an Asian American or an Asian?

On the apps, it says:
Asian American (country of family's origin_____)
Asian, including Indian subcontinent (country___)

Which one should I choose?
Am I right in presuming I am Asian American?

If your answer to my "predicament" is definitive, please state so.

Thanks for any and all input.

By Valpal (Valpal) on Wednesday, November 19, 2003 - 01:17 am: Edit

Even more confusing, is the fact that Indians are often racially designated as "caucasian"---Something I always found to be somewhat bemusing, given the fact that many Indians are as dark skinned as many ("negroid") African Americans. Caucasian is the racial designation that offers the most advantages in America (despite all the belly aching about AA). Maybe you should mark that.

But since it's obvious that the college in question believes that Indians fall under the "Asian" designation, you should probably mark, "Asian American", and then state the country of parental origin. In any case, I hope you get into your dream school. I'm sure you deserve it.

By Piquant77 (Piquant77) on Wednesday, November 19, 2003 - 10:18 am: Edit

You were born in the US, you're Asian American. Don't worry about it, as long as you say country of family's origin is India, they'll know your exact situation :) Good luck!

By Massdad (Massdad) on Wednesday, November 19, 2003 - 11:19 am: Edit

This is a question you may want to skip, if they allow you to do so. I'm not aware of any upside these days attached to being asian or asian american.

By Claybellinger (Claybellinger) on Wednesday, November 19, 2003 - 05:12 pm: Edit

thanks!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page