How to get into Ivyies

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: November 2003 Archive: How to get into Ivyies
By Cooldude03 (Cooldude03) on Monday, November 17, 2003 - 06:18 pm: Edit

I've heard about kids getting into ivyies with SAT scores in the 1200's and others getting rejected in the 1500's. What makes one applicant get in, and the other not. How is this possible? And what things would make someone with 1200s, 1300s, 1400s sat scores get into ivies?

By Virgo007 (Virgo007) on Monday, November 17, 2003 - 06:37 pm: Edit

It's a roll of dice. You have to make yourself stand out.

By Godis (Godis) on Monday, November 17, 2003 - 07:00 pm: Edit

you literally have to roll the dice. i'm not being figurative when i say to go and roll the dice. it's like monopoly, but without anything but the dice. like i said, dice.

By Thedad (Thedad) on Monday, November 17, 2003 - 07:34 pm: Edit

Scores are a heavy determinant but it's not all about scores. They're looking for someone who is an "add" to the campus community, be it a bagpipe player, a world-class violinist, a painter, a mathematician, a lacrosse player.

Everyone seems to want a system that's deterministic, if X then Y, where it's cut-and-dried and they will *know* whether or not they're going to get in. Ain't happening. Next case. Move on.

It's going to be sloppy, fuzzy, subjective, and probabilistic. Come to think of it...that's kinda the way life works.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page