OMG I think im screwed

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: November 2003 Archive: OMG I think im screwed
By Virgo007 (Virgo007) on Sunday, November 16, 2003 - 03:01 pm: Edit

ok ok i got my recs from my teachers but I DIDNT READ IT
they put it in this manila folder and i just quickly stuck it in my bag. BUT I gave it to my guidance counselor to send w/ my transcript. IS THAT GONA LOOK BAD?!! are the teachers supposed to send it separately cuz everyone i talked you said you can just give it to your guidance counselor and they'll send it!! omg im scared

By Brianp (Brianp) on Sunday, November 16, 2003 - 03:20 pm: Edit

Is this a joke?

My teacher gave my rec to my guidance counselor without using me to send it. This happens all the time and a lot of times the teacher will give the rec to the student to give to the counselor. Unless they do DNA testing they won't know that you touched it.

By Abyss (Abyss) on Sunday, November 16, 2003 - 03:34 pm: Edit

yep it's fine
it might be weird if you're applying to stanford or such, which give you seperate labels for seperate envelopes. you're supposed to give your teacher a stamped, addressed envelope.

By Virgo007 (Virgo007) on Sunday, November 16, 2003 - 05:10 pm: Edit

when i am frantic, i end up sounding stupid.

numerous threads have stated that you are supposed to give every teacher a stamped, addressed envelope which they will send individually to the college (they didnt specifically say stanford.) anyway thanks

By Abyss (Abyss) on Sunday, November 16, 2003 - 07:10 pm: Edit

i just said stanford because stanford specifically makes SEPERATE labels that they want you to use. a few other schools might do that too, i'm not sure as to where u are applying

By Gabushida (Gabushida) on Sunday, November 16, 2003 - 08:37 pm: Edit

Its perfectly alright to have the teachers give the recs to your guidance counselor. I did that. Because I was initially unsure of the school I was going ED, I gave them the rec for both school (Cornell and Tufts), explained the situation, and told them to give it to my guidance counselor. She told me to do that. And for Common App. schools, I think I might just give them one copy of the rec form and my guidance counselor will make the copies.

By Yaleeakid (Yaleeakid) on Monday, November 24, 2003 - 03:13 am: Edit

Heh, my teachers let me read my recs. Talk about stress relief!

By Virgo007 (Virgo007) on Monday, November 24, 2003 - 11:07 am: Edit

Yalee- lol Then you can't sign the Waiver..it isn't gonna look too good to the adcoms..

By Abyss (Abyss) on Monday, November 24, 2003 - 05:58 pm: Edit

the waiver only concerns the time AFTER the decision has been made

By Virgo007 (Virgo007) on Tuesday, November 25, 2003 - 04:10 pm: Edit

Whoa, I had no idea!

By Curious42886 (Curious42886) on Tuesday, November 25, 2003 - 04:19 pm: Edit

Abyss—

That's total ••••••••. The waiver concerns the time after the RECOMMENDATION HAS BEEN WRITTEN.

By Abyss (Abyss) on Tuesday, November 25, 2003 - 05:02 pm: Edit

hi curious, how about refraining from the vulgarity? i didn't offend you, so chill.

here's the message from cornell's application:

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 gives students who are admitted to and enroll at Cornell the right to review their educational
records. If you would like to waive this right so that your reference can be submitted on a confidential basis, please sign below.
“I waive any right of access I may have to this reference and wish that it be submitted confidentially on my behalf.”
Applicant’s signature: __________________________________________________________ Date: _________________________________

this is stanford's :

Family Education Rights and Privacy Act of 1974. This form is to be used as a reference for admission purposes. As currently interpreted by the
Department of Education, the Act provides that applicants who subsequently enroll will have a right to inspect and review the evaluation if it is
retained by the University, unless that right is waived in writing. Sign your name below only if you wish to waive your right of access.

All I see is a reference to the time AFTER enrollment, the time AFTER acceptances are sent out.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page