Brown

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: November 2003 Archive: Brown
By Nop86 (Nop86) on Sunday, November 16, 2003 - 11:09 am: Edit

Please tell us, roughly in order of their importance to you and in the space provided, those individual activities and awards which you believe best represent your greatest achievements and interests. Tell us approximately how many hours per week each activity entails. You may want to consider drawing upon the following areas in compiling your individual list of activities.

1.Activities and organizations to which you have been a frequent contributor (Include the year(s) of participation and any offices held.)
2.Athletic teams on which you have played.
3.Community activities in which you have been involved such as scouting, volunteer work, religious youth groups, cultural organizations, or tutorial programs.
4.Creative work, hobbies, or special training to which you have devoted substantial time and which you have pursued to the point of reasonable mastery.
5.Prizes, honors, or special recognition you have won (scholastic, athletic, literary, musical, artistic, or other).
6.Travel or other experiences that have been especially rewarding.

Should this be in prose or resume format? Brown application does not have any space for filling out this info in the way that other applications generally do.

Thanks.

By Thenamek (Thenamek) on Sunday, November 16, 2003 - 09:20 pm: Edit

Prose. If they wanted you to use a resume, they would've put those boxes on it instead of a space with lines.

At least, that's how I read it.

By Nop86 (Nop86) on Monday, November 17, 2003 - 01:45 am: Edit

Anyone else's interpretation would be much appreciated...

By Trojan1444 (Trojan1444) on Monday, November 17, 2003 - 02:42 am: Edit

That's a tough one....I'd say a little bit of both. Perhaps use bullet points, then underneath the bullets write a sentence or two about the significance of the activity to you.

By Pennylane (Pennylane) on Monday, November 17, 2003 - 02:32 pm: Edit

I don't think it really matters. Either way should be fine. I doubt they'll be picky about something they haven't specified.

By Abyss (Abyss) on Monday, November 17, 2003 - 02:33 pm: Edit

I'm going to bullet point the activites, but then write a little paragraph to describe each

By Nop86 (Nop86) on Tuesday, November 18, 2003 - 02:21 am: Edit

They don't give much space for that!

By Soozievt (Soozievt) on Tuesday, November 18, 2003 - 11:31 am: Edit

My daughter did her Brown app yesterday. She called admissions and asked if it was ok to attach a resume/list as long as she followed the basic format and they said that is fine. Her resume gives the info. they asked for. Hope this helps.
Susan

By Noshiksagoddess (Noshiksagoddess) on Tuesday, November 18, 2003 - 01:11 pm: Edit

So you can't just attach an activity list?

Darn, that's what I was going to do.

By Soozievt (Soozievt) on Tuesday, November 18, 2003 - 01:14 pm: Edit

Yes, you can attach one and she is as well. Just make sure you are including the information asked for.....like any app....stuff like hours per week, weeks per year, leadership positions, awards, etc. My daughter attached her list onto applications as long as the app never said "do not attach resume" so basically she attached one and even checked in some instances (Brown and Yale for example) if this was ok to do as long as she included the info. asked for. Two apps required she fill in their sections which said to fill them in even if attaching a resume so she filled them in AND wrote see attach resume as well. Hope that helps you. When in doubt, you can call and ask admissions.
Susan

By Sw4y (Sw4y) on Tuesday, November 18, 2003 - 05:02 pm: Edit

i listed each with an explanation. mine was rather long. 2 pages typed. im not sure if its too long

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page