Should I write about sXe?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: November 2003 Archive: Should I write about sXe?
By Jennyzsong (Jennyzsong) on Saturday, November 15, 2003 - 08:03 pm: Edit

I can't think of anything else to write about for the open ended essays! Is talking about my decision to go straightxedge an okay topic? (in case you don't know, sxe is a hardcore lifestyle that was started by the band Minor Threat, see lyrics "don't drink/don't smoke/don't fck/at least i can fcking think")

the problem is this is for columbia, and NY being THE hardcore scene, well, wouldn't there be loads of sxe kids, making me not special in the slightest?

By Jennyzsong (Jennyzsong) on Saturday, November 15, 2003 - 08:22 pm: Edit

yes/no? i would like to start the essay tonight ;)

By Jennyzsong (Jennyzsong) on Saturday, November 15, 2003 - 08:36 pm: Edit

please? anybody with any opinion??

By Genericname (Genericname) on Saturday, November 15, 2003 - 09:19 pm: Edit

This is a joke right? Seriously, I mean you think that Columbia, becasue it's in Nyc, has some kind of overflow of straight edge kids? And all the hardcore kids go/apply to columbia because that's the center of harcore? That's a pretty weak link for someone applying to Columbia to try and make. But I like the topic idea anyway =).

By Jennyzsong (Jennyzsong) on Saturday, November 15, 2003 - 09:24 pm: Edit

it's not a joke. i don't think that all the hardcore kids apply there OBVIOUSLY. I just think that the admissions people would be used to all the sxe kids lying around in new york, seeing as they do LIVE, besides being admission officers.

By Healthy_Body (Healthy_Body) on Saturday, November 15, 2003 - 09:30 pm: Edit

Write about what you a passionate about. As for straight edge, if you are serious about it, go ahead... it's an admirable lifestyle. But don't be retarded and write a sappy piece overflowing with teenage angst "I got X's tattooed on my hands, are you impressed??!". Anyways, good luck, and i'm sure it will turn out well.

by the way... do you like operation ivy?

By Jennyzsong (Jennyzsong) on Saturday, November 15, 2003 - 09:47 pm: Edit

nope sorry lol

I think I will write about hardcore unity and brotherhood etc. despite being a girl. lol.

i am passionate about it. it's been my life up until now when i suddenly got obsessed with school. :(

By Jennyzsong (Jennyzsong) on Saturday, November 15, 2003 - 10:36 pm: Edit

question would it be very bad to swear in my essay? i would really like to use atleast a fragment of a minor threat song, but sadly they have almost nothing without some profanity.

By Genericname (Genericname) on Saturday, November 15, 2003 - 10:36 pm: Edit

I hate to break it to you, but there aren't masses or straight edge kids buming around new york. An ad rep would have probably heard of the lifestyle (although it's not definite, so you may want to explain), but would definetly not be overwhelmed by it. If anything, straight edge kids would be previlent downtown (NYU-area if that helps), not way uptown by Columbia. Your fears of tons of sxe diluting your essay are completely unfounded, trust me.

By Jennyzsong (Jennyzsong) on Saturday, November 15, 2003 - 11:03 pm: Edit

oh :( i'm not familiar with new york geography :( not TOO far away though right?

By Sarbear (Sarbear) on Saturday, November 15, 2003 - 11:53 pm: Edit

Just a subway ride!! Columbia is up at 116th and Broadway (upper west side), and NYU is in the Village. I think you'd feel right at home there...

By Genericname (Genericname) on Saturday, November 15, 2003 - 11:59 pm: Edit

Grr! That's not the point. What I meant to get across was there aren't hordes of straight edge kids roaming the city to the extent that a Columbia employee would feel your are some how a follower or unimporant or something. If anything it would be interesting to read cause most of those sxc types are known to be...well, homeless, to put it frankly. I guess the experiences of a non-homeless sxc kid not from nyc would be interesting. This assumes that the person reading the essay even knows that much about the scene (which, again, isn't guarenteed). But anyway, my main point is dont worry about being one of many cause there ain't that many to begin with.

By Jennyzsong (Jennyzsong) on Sunday, November 16, 2003 - 12:00 am: Edit

okay good... i'm also applying to NYU :)

By Jennyzsong (Jennyzsong) on Sunday, November 16, 2003 - 12:02 am: Edit

Funnily enough, because the scene here isn't very, well, good, I actually know some right wing sxe people lol. And I don't know any homeless people.

also the practise of going to a university for the scene isn't too uncommon here lmao, if you're wondering.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page