college admissions financial aid college search scholarships ivy league college counseling ">
My writing style :(

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: November 2003 Archive: My writing style :(
By Jennyzsong (Jennyzsong) on Saturday, November 15, 2003 - 02:41 pm: Edit

A lot of people say I have good writing style. There was this one girl who told me I wrote the some best stories she had ever read in her life. I write short stories and poetry and all sorts of things all the time and I always thought I was good at writing.

But I only got 720 in writing for the SATII's. My mother said that it was because I tend to use too many long, complicated sentences with too many appositives, and everything I said was too fancy and difficult to understand, filled with too many metaphors. It works for poetry, but not for essays.

And now as I'm writing all my college application essays, I'm finding it very very difficult to stay simple and clear cut, and I think that my writing is awkward like this. This is NOT the way I write.

So the question is, should I just keep trying to write the way everyone wants me to write or should I just write in my natural style to show the college admissions people who I really am?

By Sarbear (Sarbear) on Saturday, November 15, 2003 - 03:12 pm: Edit

Good writers can say want they want clearly and concisely.

However, college essays allow for creativity, whereas the SAT II's are more formulaic. Your writing style was probably a bit much for the SAT graders to handle. College adcoms are more accustomed to unusual writing, so if you are comfortable with your style, do as you wish (but make sure you have someone who knows what s/he is talking about read it - someone outside the family!).

I'm just a bit worried, because I can't imagine a good creative writer who hasn't yet mastered the simple expository essay! You need to work up to good writing... but I haven't read your stuff - maybe you're awesome!

By Jennyzsong (Jennyzsong) on Saturday, November 15, 2003 - 05:39 pm: Edit

I guess it also depends what I'm writing about. I find that whenever I write assignments in non English subjects I'm able to write clearly and concisely because for those subjects there is no notion of creativity. I say what needs to be said. But when it comes to essays purely for the sake of writing, I just can't stick to the expository style. I just HAVE to throw in unnecessary elements... I can't seem to help it. aaaargh.

By Sarbear (Sarbear) on Saturday, November 15, 2003 - 06:04 pm: Edit

I'm the same way, so don't think I admire expository essays (ugh!). I'm all for sentence fragments, parentheses, pauses, humor, and stream of consciousness!

By Jimjunior (Jimjunior) on Saturday, November 15, 2003 - 06:33 pm: Edit

Well, your SATii writing score might just be 720 because of your performance on the multiple choice. What was your essay subscore?

By Jennyzsong (Jennyzsong) on Saturday, November 15, 2003 - 06:54 pm: Edit

i don't know actually, i'm only assuming it was mostly my essay, because i do fairly well with editing and finding errors normally, or atleast barron's tells me so ;)

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page