Quick question: copying commonapp rec's & school report

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: November 2003 Archive: Quick question: copying commonapp rec's & school report
By Arthas (Arthas) on Friday, November 14, 2003 - 08:13 pm: Edit

Ok, this is about the school report and teacher evaluations. Do you first sign+stamp and then photocopy them or do you photocopy them and sign+stamp later (for authenticity and stuff). I am asking, because the latter process involves 5x more time on teachers. How do most people do it?

By Momofsenior (Momofsenior) on Friday, November 14, 2003 - 10:22 pm: Edit

The teacher and guidance counselor should make their own copies. You are not supposed to see the recommendations unless they choose to show them to you. Some colleges actually have you sign a waiver. You should provide your teacher with addressed, stamped envelopes and follow your guidance department's procedure for school report forms.

By Arthas (Arthas) on Friday, November 14, 2003 - 11:48 pm: Edit

thanks for your advice momofsenior, but I'm an international and my teachers haven't filled any recommendation forms, so they really don't know the procedures. The copying would also be my job, unfortunately, so the waiver wouldn't make much of a difference. That's why I was asking whether I should photocopy them forms with signatures or not. Could you please advise me on that? thanks :)

By Ellemenope (Ellemenope) on Saturday, November 15, 2003 - 11:50 am: Edit

This isn't a court of law where you must have original signatures in order for a document to be valid. I think it is perfectly OK for you to fill out your part of the recommendation form and sign it, have them fill out their part of the recommendation form and sign it--and then make copies of completely filled out and signed form to send to colleges. Just make sure the copies are legible. That would save the guidance counselors time. You should provide stamped and addressed envelopes for all, though.

If your teachers or guidance counselors haven't done this before, just be aware that some schools also have college specific "Secondary School Report Supplement" that you also have to turn in along with the Common App Secondary School Report form. Be sure to check your application instructions carefully.

By Arthas (Arthas) on Sunday, November 16, 2003 - 02:20 am: Edit

Thanks so much Ellemenope - that's a big relief. Didnt know about the school report supplement bit, and thanks so much for letting me know. :)

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page